ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #871
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,733
I just voted.

Gotta agree, the Montana is the best gps I've ever had, and I've had many. Almost all were Garmin but I did buy a Couple of Magellans back in the early days and it was clear even back then that Garmin was in a class of its own in every way, including build quality, software updates, warranty service, out of warranty service and cost.

Garmin's also been much better at maps than the others as well, updating them often and seling them for what I consider a reasonable price most of the time. It's too bad some of their maps are locked to one unit only, of course, but it's not unreasonable. Other maps of theirs are not locked, and there are third party maps for free, and some swear by those.

i just used my Montana in a trip from Ottawa, On, Canada to Barnard Vermont and the Montana worked flawlessly. It only turned off once when I had the small data fields as my dashboard and chose Sunset as one field, when the gps shut off but when I tried the same thing the second time it worked as it should. Gps stayed on and I had the right field.

It was the first time I'd used NA City Navigator and the Montana outside of Canada, so I got to see how the Speed Limit worked on almost every road we traveled. This feature is only on major highways in Canada. My wife, who was on her own bike with an Oregon 550, kept calling me on the intercom asking what the speed limit was on the current road.

I am very pleased with the Montana! It's not cheap, but it is worth it!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #872
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

Oddometer: 425
I haven't updated to .5 yet. Any word if it's safe? I'm just sketched out about having it lock up, and/or going thru the backwards update. I'm not that proficient at moving files. Yet.

Sent via Tapatalk iPhone - The scourge of workplace productivity.

Not All Who are Lost Wish to be Found
bmwgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #873
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
v3.50 has a repeatable bug: Using Data Fields on any Main Menu page Dashboard. This will/can cause shutdowns.

Easy to avoid condition. Don't use Data Field Dashboards on any Main Menu page. I have not found any other bugs that cause significant issues with v3.50.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #874
spyderryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Ok, I am in! Ordered a Montana from gpscity and posted my Zumo on eBay

Thanks for all the good posts and updates!
spyderryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #875
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderryder View Post
Ok, I am in! Ordered a Montana from gpscity and posted my Zumo on eBay

Thanks for all the good posts and updates!
Hope you remembered to order a mount for it...
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #876
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrrl View Post
I haven't updated to .5 yet. Any word if it's safe? I'm just sketched out about having it lock up, and/or going thru the backwards update. I'm not that proficient at moving files. Yet.
I just applied 3.5 and it seems ok to me. I have seen no signs of problems in the few minutes I played with it afterwards.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #877
LC8Joe
Africa again ...

Oddometer: 11
Question AMPS mount on trails

I've bought the Montana a week ago and I am quite happy with it till now (must say I sold my 276 for it). It seams to work ok, never hang on me, even though, I've done the 3.4 and 3.5 upgrades without backing up data before but I haven't played much with fields and configuration.

I would like to know, from those who already used the AMPS mount on trails if the unit doesn't jump of? Do you bind the Montana somewhere else, just in case it happens or are you completely confident that it wont jump?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #878
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8Joe View Post
I would like to know, from those who already used the AMPS mount on trails if the unit doesn't jump of? Do you bind the Montana somewhere else, just in case it happens or are you completely confident that it wont jump?
I haven't done any gnarly single track or fast washboard with mine but for all the trails and back roads, it never looked like it would come off my DR650 or F800GS. When you place the gps in the mount you need to make sure the sliding part of the mount goes right into place. Locking it can only be done if it's correctly installed so it might be best to do that as well.

But if it got snagged by a branch or hooked under your front brake cable it might still get pulled out of the mount. Best to use a lanyard to tie it to the bike.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #879
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I still am intreged enough with this GPS that I will use the wife's old Nuvi 255 until the new year and wait to see if there are any sales on it before laying out the funds......but I'm still very concerned about the bugs etc. Also, the only extra thing besides the north america maps to purchase would be the motorcycle mount correct? I asume it has all that is needed to use in your cage in it's box without having to purchase extras.
Also, are we into the next production run so to speak yet and if not when does this happen. In respect to Garmin sorting out these huge small issues you are discussing here?
Also, is GPScity the best place in Canada to purchase it from and is it worth buying their extended warrantee? I know that warrantees are only as good as the paper which they are written on, but with all it's issues, I was wondering if it was a wise purchase just this once?

Sorry to ask thses simple questions but as said before an electronic illiterate.....

Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #880
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I still am intreged enough with this GPS that I will use the wife's old Nuvi 255 until the new year and wait to see if there are any sales on it before laying out the funds......but I'm still very concerned about the bugs etc. Also, the only extra thing besides the north america maps to purchase would be the motorcycle mount correct? I asume it has all that is needed to use in your cage in it's box without having to purchase extras.
Also, are we into the next production run so to speak yet and if not when does this happen. In respect to Garmin sorting out these huge small issues you are discussing here?
Also, is GPScity the best place in Canada to purchase it from and is it worth buying their extended warrantee? I know that warrantees are only as good as the paper which they are written on, but with all it's issues, I was wondering if it was a wise purchase just this once?

Sorry to ask thses simple questions but as said before an electronic illiterate.....

Thanks again.
As far as I am concerned, at this point, there are no real bugs worth mentioning which affect the use of the Montana. Yes, it would be nice to be able to turn off route recalculation, but it doesn't cause me any issue.

Re: what else you need to buy besides maps - you can move the rugged mount into your car but you might as well get the right car mount which includes a built-in speaker. Moving mounts is a PITA.

All my recent gps purchases were through GPSCity but if you have access to Radioworld in TO, and they have the Montana, they would probably price match GPSCity's price. GPSCity is very hard to beat for price, speed of delivery, and customer satisfaction before and after the sale, though. Highly recommended.

As regards the extra warranty, some people have been very happy to have them, but Garmin's great about going beyond the basics in their normal warranty coverage. And usually if you need out of warranty repair, that's reasonably priced, imho, as for a fixed cost they send you a refurbished unit.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 07:01 AM
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #881
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8Joe View Post
I've bought the Montana a week ago and I am quite happy with it till now (must say I sold my 276 for it). It seams to work ok, never hang on me, even though, I've done the 3.4 and 3.5 upgrades without backing up data before but I haven't played much with fields and configuration.

I'm sure there is a scenario where the Montana could be pulled out of the AMPS mount even if it were properly seated and the locking screw was in place. But, you can say that about any GPS mounted on a dirt bike. I use mine on my HP2 and ride some rather ruff two-track and some single track. Lot's of long rides on ruff gravel and non-maintained primitive roads. I have had no condition where I was worried about the Montana "jumping" out of the AMPS mount.

Having said that, since it is an expensive piece of hardware and I don't want to risk having it depart the bike, I have a lanyard on it and use it even on my "mostly" road bike's.

Bottom line from me is that the AMPS mount is quite rugged and has a reasonable design and security setup for off-road bikes.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #882
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I agree, at this point in time the Montana is the hottest GPS out there for what were doing. I am just going to let the firmware mature a little before I jump in. I think I will wait until they add the feature that allows us to turn off auto recalculate. I figure they will work on bug fixes first (both hardware and firmware), then add new features.
+1 Until they allow auto recalc to be selectable I'm gonna stick with my 76cx.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #883
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Despite having read through this whole thread, I ordered one of these today. I don't have particularly high expectations - and frankly think the money would probably be better spent on preparing the bike, but it does seem to be the best the current market has to offer.

I notice that there's nothing in Garmin's published literature about the class of SD card support, but several inmates have mentioned using 16GB cards. Has anyone used a 32GB card?

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #884
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws626 View Post
I notice that there's nothing in Garmin's published literature about the class of SD card support, but several inmates have mentioned using 16GB cards. Has anyone used a 32GB card?
Even a 16 gig would be a waste of space IMHO. Unless you're using it as a mass storage device to carry huge files around, I think there's very little you can do with a gps which would use more than 8 gig.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #885
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Even a 16 gig would be a waste of space IMHO. Unless you're using it as a mass storage device to carry huge files around, I think there's very little you can do with a gps which would use more than 8 gig.
Birdseye files. I have an 8 gig card in mine and it's full without holding images for the area I normally ride. I just ordered a 16 gig to replace it.

It's a microSD by the way.
waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote