ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #8866
JTMETZ54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My Montana has developed a problem turning on about half the time. It does a quick flash then stays black, it seems from my tracks that it is on and recording but I cannot see anything. I then have to turn it off a couple times before it will start up correctly. Has anybody else had this problem?
JTMETZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #8867
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
My Montana has also started turning off randomly. I have wedged the battery in adequately, so that is not the issue. I know this as the Montana battery is always displayed as fully charged as soon as I get it to start up again. This is on an ST1100 on paved hiways, so vibration is not much of a cause, I think.

It happened again last week, when temps were 98-100F crossing from Tucson to El Paso. I could NOT get the unit to stay on more than 30 seconds or so; then the screen goes blank. wait a bit, turn it on, and the main screen turns on, with the battery indicated as fully charged. Then as soon as I hit "Map" or "Trip Computer", screen goes black.

Have not used it since last week. Got it out this am for a test on the ride into work. Temps in mid 70's. Worked fine all the way in.

Dang. Have a cross country trip coming up in few weeks; and it is gonna be hot. Guess I'll have to rush to Garmin for repairs; in which case I'll prolly get a refurb, and then have to install all my maps again....

Any other ideas?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #8868
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pago Cruiser View Post
Any other ideas?
Get an old hand towel, soak it in cold water and bungee/tie it off around the unit so you can just see the screen and it won't come off at speed. Re-soak it every chance you get, to the point of even carrying a 1/2 liter plastic water bottle for the purpose.

At least you won't have to restore the maps....

(I'm only partially kidding....remember the old canvas water bags folks used to hang in front of their radiators? Good for a cool drink for about 4 hours in 100 degree heat and helped keep the radiator from boiling over. Same principle.)
Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #8869
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Any other ideas?
Do you have a Garmin screen protector on it? Maybe it's turning itself off because of that? If you have one, remove it to see.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #8870
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Any other ideas?
Before doing anything else, I would remove and uSD card (if installed), force the unit into Mass Storage Mode (if necessary), remove all personal data from the GPSr, then reboot and see what happens.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #8871
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMETZ54 View Post
My Montana has developed a problem turning on about half the time. It does a quick flash then stays black, it seems from my tracks that it is on and recording but I cannot see anything. I then have to turn it off a couple times before it will start up correctly. Has anybody else had this problem?
Mine started turning off randomly after I upgraded the firmware to 5.20. Also, it started complaining about the battery pack not being compatible as well. Neither of these things happened before this firmware update so I just went back to 4.70 last night to see if this solves the issue. I've been using it to navigate around areas I already know and so far so good.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #8872
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Thanks guys. Yep, I remember the old canvas water bags well; crude, but effective. I'd hate to test the waterproofness of the creen in this manner though...

How would the screen protector cause it to turn off? I actually do have one installed, but as it has been working fine for about 1.5 years, I fail to see how it could cause these problems.

Good idea (I think...) about a major reboot. I only have city maps in the internal memory, and all my topo's on the uSD card. But... has anyone else seen this problem and had this solution actually work? Seems I'd need to go on a several hour trip during a hot day to actually test it; or maybe I could just stick it in the oven...
Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #8873
JTMETZ54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Mine started turning off randomly after I upgraded the firmware to 5.20. Also, it started complaining about the battery pack not being compatible as well. Neither of these things happened before this firmware update so I just went back to 4.70 last night to see if this solves the issue. I've been using it to navigate around areas I already know and so far so good.
Mine will only do it right when I turn it on, once it is going I have never lost the screen. One time it froze up, but it was about 105 outside. I get this black screen at any temp I have been riding at from the 60's to 100's. I might try going back in firmware see if that helps.
JTMETZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #8874
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Thanks guys. Yep, I remember the old canvas water bags well; crude, but effective. I'd hate to test the waterproofness of the creen in this manner though...

How would the screen protector cause it to turn off? I actually do have one installed, but as it has been working fine for about 1.5 years, I fail to see how it could cause these problems.

Good idea (I think...) about a major reboot. I only have city maps in the internal memory, and all my topo's on the uSD card. But... has anyone else seen this problem and had this solution actually work? Seems I'd need to go on a several hour trip during a hot day to actually test it; or maybe I could just stick it in the oven...
Just trying to determine if a file has become corrupted and is causing the crash. If all is well after removing all data, start adding small amounts back incrementally until it crashes again to determine which is the offending file. I have been through this multiple times with my Montana.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #8875
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Just trying to determine if a file has become corrupted and is causing the crash. If all is well after removing all data, start adding small amounts back incrementally until it crashes again to determine which is the offending file. I have been through this multiple times with my Montana.
I was speaking with one of the Garmin support people the other day and he mentioned that when you disconnect your GPS from a PC, you should always either "eject" it from BaseCamp, or use the Windows OS "Safely remove hardware and eject media" function (instead of merely unplugging the USB cable) or you may corrupt some files. No idea if it is BS or not.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF

Emoto screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 04:34 PM
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #8876
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yep, I remember the old canvas water bags well; crude, but effective. I'd hate to test the waterproofness of the screen in this manner though...
I would not be the slightest bit worried about screen waterproofness with a wet towel.....they are supposed to take a meter or more underwater, and the point of ingress is invariably the rubber caps on the back.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #8877
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
No idea if it is BS or not.
It's not BS, do it EVERY time!!!!

It all depends on whether a transfer or query is taking place at that instant. It might appear to be inactive, but why take even the slightest risk for two mouse clicks?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #8878
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Screen protectors have been known to make selections of their own when they get hot, especially as they get older. I sat my Montana out in the sun and within minutes it was selecting wildly on its own.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #8879
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Montana 600 2 months old.

Most of the time starts up with full illumination of display, but very shortly, switches into standby mode (partial illumination). Sometimes switches on own, but often switches when I start navigation or press a command.

It has done this on both battery power and DC operation in my car.

I've recycled on/off repeatedly; removed and reinstalled battery pak; reset variables like "day/night" modes and "timing" increments for "standby". NO CHANGES....

Currently on the road and DO NOT WANT TO RESET until I'm home and can backup my personal stuff.

Suggestions?

--stan
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #8880
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSolace View Post
Montana 600 2 months old.

Most of the time starts up with full illumination of display, but very shortly, switches into standby mode (partial illumination). Sometimes switches on own, but often switches when I start navigation or press a command.

It has done this on both battery power and DC operation in my car.

I've recycled on/off repeatedly; removed and reinstalled battery pak; reset variables like "day/night" modes and "timing" increments for "standby". NO CHANGES....

Currently on the road and DO NOT WANT TO RESET until I'm home and can backup my personal stuff.

Suggestions?

--stan
A reset will not wipe out your personal data and tracks, etc. It's worth trying.