ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #8941
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSolace View Post
You were correct: tracks & waypoints & profile customizing NOT lost, although menu priorities: hierarchical standings defaulted to original ordering.

Unfortunately, reset did not solve the problem. Intend to contact GPSCity and Garmin by phone on Monday...

Unless--more Inmates have suggestions?

I did reset "backlighting" to "stay on" with no result....

--stan

SUMMARY OF INTERACTION WITH GARMIN

Wow! Things went MUCH better than expected. I had 3 Garmin phone contacts and all of them went great. First, they have a faster response to Montana than to Zumo (got this in discussion with support person)--simply a matter of call volume. I waited less than a minute twice and had an immediate response on my last call.

Second, seems like my problem was hardware (their determination), and not one they had seen before (back lighting not working properly).

They sent me a new unit, charged my credit card (not for shipping), and will refund when they receive my non-functioning unit--which I sent back in their box. I received the new unit 23 hours after my call!

I had problems loading the NA Map, which required a third call this AM in which they tied my new unit to the map and released it from the old unit. Once unlocked to new unit, everything went smoothly (MapInstall).

Montana/Garmin thots:

Although I'm mildly frustrated from the time spent, and slightly disappointed that my Montana 600 is no where as user friendly or as sophisticated as the 430 I use in aviation. I get faster and faster with more usage and am impressed with the Montana as an important tool which provides the security of situational awareness.

Probably the most disappointing aspect for me regarding Garmin, is that the Satellite offering is incredibly sub-standard and I'm sorry they don't realize that some of us would be willing to pay (a reasonable amount) for great satellite resolution--like say the resolution I receive on my SPOT map. Finally, the tool I am most fascinated by (if you haven't tried it) is the 3D view you can manipulate from Base Camp. I find it amazing to ride and analyze a track in 3D both before I've actually ridden it and afterwards while I'm sitting on my Butt staring at my computer screen.
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #8942
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Mapping on roads

I'm trying to make routes for TAT off the maps. Using the built in Garmin Topo maps on the 650T and Base Camp the routes only go point to point and do not follow the roads.

Tried using City Navigator and same thing. Went back and using Mapsource and the routes stayed on the roads, but... when loaded on the Montana 650T they go point to point.

How do you get it to map routes on the roads selected?

Thanks

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #8943
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
I'm trying to make routes for TAT off the maps. Using the built in Garmin Topo maps on the 650T and Base Camp the routes only go point to point and do not follow the roads.

Tried using City Navigator and same thing. Went back and using Mapsource and the routes stayed on the roads, but... when loaded on the Montana 650T they go point to point.

Thanks

Greg
What routing activity do you have selected on the Montana?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #8944
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
IMO, the best place for the Tempe is on the lanyard attaching your gps to your bike. And it seems weatherproof to me. I haven't paid any attention to keeping it dry, cold or warm.
Good idea

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8945
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
Didn't try that route. I will give it a shot.

No Joy. I see the Mapsource file on my computer, but it is not recognized by Base Camp.

Time to sell the old Vista and Mapsource disc.
I was thinking about this today while I was riding - all you need to do is update your version of Mapsource! Then MS will see your USB ports and you'll be able to send the map to the Montana.

Not sure why that didn't dawn on me last night.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 02:02 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #8946
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:

Thanks

Greg
You have to get a mapset that does on road/auto routing loaded on your 650. The 100K maps that came on your 650T won't do road routing, only direct (point to point).

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #8947
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:

Thanks

Greg
Sounds like you may have a weird routing selection in Basecamp.

I used the 24k maps on mine and ensured I mapped on the 24k as well. I used the "dirtbike/Offroad" routing. I was able to snap the route to the TAT trails. I did have a few trouble spots along the way, but 90% was rock solid. Since mine snapped to the trail, it created lots of points.

Something I just thought of, did you convert to tracks AFTER you made the route? The Montana can only handle 50 point routes. So I had to make the route, rightclick and make track from route. Then load the track on the Montana. I did not move any of my TAT routes over.

Tracks are the only way to go.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #8948
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
What routing activity do you have selected on the Montana?
Running "motorcycle", locked on road, toll road avoidance only. Have tried it every way but still not locked on to the road. Goes point to point.

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #8949
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Running "motorcycle", locked on road, toll road avoidance only. Have tried it every way but still not locked on to the road. Goes point to point.

Greg
The 'Motorcycle' listed here?

As others have pointed out, the 100k topos pre loaded on the Montana do not do routing.

Also, you must use the same maps in BaseCamp and on the Montana if you want routes created in BaseCamp to function identically on the Montana.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #8950
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I lost the earplug I had in my battery compartment recently and forgot about it until I was out on the bike today, and 15 minutes into the ride I got a message about an 'Unsupported Battery' then 5 minutes later the Montana turned itself off.

Fortunately I had a couple of fresh new earplugs and put them into the battery case, and didn't see the message again.

I wonder if the Monterra will have this kind of problem too, since it appears to use the same battery?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #8951
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I lost the earplug I had in my battery compartment recently and forgot about it until I was out on the bike today, and 15 minutes into the ride I got a message about an 'Unsupported Battery' then 5 minutes later the Montana turned itself off.

Fortunately I had a couple of fresh new earplugs and put them into the battery case, and didn't see the message again.

I wonder if the Monterra will have this kind of problem too, since it appears to use the same battery?
Since every Garmin handheld I've ever owned has this kind of problem I'd say you can bank on it!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #8952
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Deleting corrupt track?

I seem to have a corrupt track in my Archived track file. When selecting the track in the Montana, it will either lock up or shut down. I can't see the track in BaseCamp, nor can I delete in Windows explorer.

Here is a message I receive when I connect the Montana to my PC (Win 7):

What can I do to correct this?

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #8953
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
did you try to rename it?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #8954
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
^^ Yes I have tried to rename it and I receive the error message:

"The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name".

And I have tried several different file names, including trying to match the track log format.

Steve
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #8955
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
^^ Yes I have tried to rename it and I receive the error message:

"The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name".

And I have tried several different file names, including trying to match the track log format.

Steve
If it's in the Archive, try to make a Favorite out of it, then see if you can delete it from the Track Manager. I got rid of a defective file that way recently.