ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 251 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #9061
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'm going to try that.
Sounds similar to this....
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #9062
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Thanks; that sounds just like it. Hope I get the same result.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #9063
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
I'm going to try that.
that's exactly what mine was doing. It's a hardware issue that they are aware of. I'd talk to a manager about it.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #9064
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
that's exactly what mine was doing. It's a hardware issue that they are aware of. I'd talk to a manager about it.
Hopefully they'll not give me a hard time. Not that they ever have in the past.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #9065
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
In case anyone thinks going back to 4.7 is necessary for any reason, I am on 5.10 and it's working just fine. And on my wife's 650 as well.

I didn't go to 5.20 as I doubt I'll need the Icelandic keyboard anytime soon.

I was going to say that you never have any problems with yours so I'd need more data from other people before I decide it's safe to upgrade. Then I read farther down and saw your calibration issue. Oh well, I guess I can't say that now.

How's everybody else doing on 5.2? A-ok?

I start travelling again on Thurs with my BC created routes. We'll see how they work and I'll let y'all know.
woodsatyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #9066
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
I was going to say that you never have any problems with yours so I'd need more data from other people before I decide it's safe to upgrade. Then I read farther down and saw your calibration issue. Oh well, I guess I can't say that now. .
Oh right, kick a guy when he's down.

My problem has nothing to do with 5.10, that's for sure.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #9067
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
OK, lets clean up the electrical nonsense and get back to Albie bashing the GPS itself.
Albie bashing, say it ain't so. Oh wait, Albie bashing GPS's.
Don't bother with a Montana Albie, you know it will just turn into an Albiesumable like all the other gadgets.
:-)
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project

yzfcathy screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 10:48 PM
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #9068
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
Albie bashing, say it ain't so. Don't bother with a Montana Albie, you know it will just turn into an Albiesumable like all the other gadgets.
:-)
Hasn't fallen off yet!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #9069
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
How's everybody else doing on 5.2? A-ok?
Yup...A-ok here. Just remember to do a master reset after the update. I lost my "distance to next arrow/lane assist" on routes as well as the posted speed limit until I did a reset. Of course I think I lost those two things on every update since 4.6.

Just make a master reset part of your upgrade procedure and all is well.....unless you have a bunch of corrupted maps/files which seem to be the root of most user issues in this thread.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #9070
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Ohhhhhh....probably should have sent it back when it as still under warrantee. Maybe if you call Product Support and explain the circumstances of it being an early production unit that is just now failing Screen Cal, they might exchange it.

Would be worth a try.
Good old Garmin. I went through all the diagnostics with tech support and nothing helped, and when he started to explain that my unit which was bought on July 29, 2011 was out of warranty, all I had to do was mention the recall on the units, and he said they would extend the warranty for me to cover this.

That's why I keep buying Garmins. If I had broken it or it failed for another reason I would not have been too unhappy to pay, but this was a known issue for units of that era, so I don't really feel I'm getting a freebie, but fair treatment instead.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #9071
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Switched to Alkalines and Still Getting Chopped Up Tracks

Hello (again),

First, I should say how pleased I am with my Montana. I know I only ever visit here when I have a question or problem. But I do like it so much better than my old GPSMap 60. Being able to "transform" between dirt biking and the wife's using it as Nuvi; switching between various maps when out off roading; and the big touch screen. Now for the latest.

I hardwired my Montana mount directly to my dirt bike's battery, so it should never need to even see its internal battery. But with the lithium I would get home and find the current track chopped up, implying to me that it was the loose battery problem. So, I switched that battery out for three alkaline batteries, thinking there was no jiggle problem with them. Alas, I got home yesterday and the day's track still was broken into multiple pieces even though I had never turned the GPSr off during the riding. Thoughts?

Jay
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #9072
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The "purchase" options are Maps, BirdsEye Imagery and basically all other Garmin products. The in-app links take you to Garmin's online store. So, technically as far as Apple is concerned, anything Garmin sells Apple should get a royalty from.

Since you have installed the App Store version you will continue to get update notices from the App Store unless you uninstall the app. Then you could install the Garmin download version. Be fore warned that v4.2.2 has some new features that are not compatible with v4.2.1. One of which is how Custom [Activity] Profiles are structured and named. v4.2.2 will not recognize v4.2.1 Custom [Activity] Profiles so you will need to recreate them after install.

Both the App Store and Garmin download are at v4.2.2.
Thanks for the followup regarding the direct download from Garmin and the App Store versions. I do get notifications regarding my CNNA being over a year old. But that may be a notification both versions pester the end user with since I don't recall getting anything about BirdsEye or other Garmin products. And BC is listed under "purchased" items on the App Store under my account.

Also thanks for the heads up regarding Custom [Activity] Profiles. I've only played with creating those so far but have not used any of them so I should be safe at this time.

Jon...
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #9073
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Edit - In reply to JMartin

You can set the Montana to log tracks based on time or distance. Maybe you have one of these settings activated?

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Setup+-+Tracks
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #9074
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Edit - In reply to JMartin

You can set the Montana to log tracks based on time or distance. Maybe you have one of these settings activated?

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Setup+-+Tracks
No, I don't think so:

Track Log: Record, Do Not Show
Record Method: Auto
Interval: Normal
Auto Archive: When Full

I'm thinking I should go back to the rechargeable lithium battery and follow the advice for getting it to not jiggle.

Jay
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #9075
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Hello (again),

First, I should say how pleased I am with my Montana. I know I only ever visit here when I have a question or problem. But I do like it so much better than my old GPSMap 60. Being able to "transform" between dirt biking and the wife's using it as Nuvi; switching between various maps when out off roading; and the big touch screen. Now for the latest.

I hardwired my Montana mount directly to my dirt bike's battery, so it should never need to even see its internal battery. But with the lithium I would get home and find the current track chopped up, implying to me that it was the loose battery problem. So, I switched that battery out for three alkaline batteries, thinking there was no jiggle problem with them. Alas, I got home yesterday and the day's track still was broken into multiple pieces even though I had never turned the GPSr off during the riding. Thoughts?

Jay

Do you ever CLEAR the current track log?

Difficult to help determine what the issue is without seeing the 'broken up' track logs...
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote