ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 247 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #9181
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Go to Route Planner, then select route, then Edit Route, select Waypoint required, but no option for Go To command,
If atlas cache gave you what you were looking for great.

When I was doing a lot of Rollchart events where I had waypoints I used the following:

I would set my Compass Settings to Course (CDI): Setup->Heading->Go To Line/Pointer: Course(CDI).

This will give you a "course" line when you are navigating a route so you can see the direction to the NEXT Waypoint if you should miss one. Then set your Routing settings to Activity=Direct, Route Transition=Manual, Lock On Road=No.

Now when you are Navigating the Route that the organizer loaded, you must make the transition form Waypoint to waypoint in the Navigation list, if you miss a waypoint you can see it by your CDI line and you can go to Navigation Guidance (you should have it displayed at the top of the Map when Navigating) and you should have a Red Flag next what should be your next Waypoint. You can select any waypoint you want in the Route list and set it (Red Flag) as the next wayponit so that your CDI will point to it.

Hope this all helps.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #9182
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549

Here is our rally set-up, showing Montana with Rugged Mount fitted to our F2R RB750 Roadbook with a new side bracket.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #9183
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post

Here is our rally set-up, showing Montana with Rugged Mount fitted to our F2R RB750 Roadbook with a new side bracket.
Nice setup.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #9184
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Ktmmitch... let me see if I can better define your challenge....

You have a route(s) in the unit that is a series of user waypoints.

I'm guessing you are not using a map to generate an "auto-route" but this may not be that important.

You want to be able to execute that route beginning at a waypoint that is somewhere in the middle of the route either because you wandered off the route or you are picking the route up from somewhere besides the beginning.

In the floptana you aren't finding a way [like the 276 in the route page] to tell it which waypoint in the route to resume/start the route.

Let me know how these statements incorrectly define your challenge!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #9185
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Ktmmitch... let me see if I can better define your challenge....

You have a route(s) in the unit that is a series of user waypoints.

I'm guessing you are not using a map to generate an "auto-route" but this may not be that important.

You want to be able to execute that route beginning at a waypoint that is somewhere in the middle of the route either because you wandered off the route or you are picking the route up from somewhere besides the beginning.

In the floptana you aren't finding a way [like the 276 in the route page] to tell it which waypoint in the route to resume/start the route.

Let me know how these statements incorrectly define your challenge!
I believe what I outlined above with accomplish just that.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #9186
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I believe what I outlined above with accomplish just that.
Possibly. I was trying to make sure I(we) understood the problem. I'm not sure what you mentioned would work if the unit is auto-routing.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #9187
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Does anyone know if this wonderful device has a file that logs errors, etc. that is user accessible? I keep getting a "Invalid BirdsEye File" during boot and It sure would be nice to know which file(s) are giving it fits so I can replace just the offending one(s) instead of all 70+ I have on there....
Old 08-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #9188
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Does anyone know if this wonderful device has a file that logs errors, etc. that is user accessible? I keep getting a "Invalid BirdsEye File" during boot and It sure would be nice to know which file(s) are giving it fits so I can replace just the offending one(s) instead of all 70+ I have on there....
This may help.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #9189
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Possibly. I was trying to make sure I(we) understood the problem. I'm not sure what you mentioned would work if the unit is auto-routing.
And, for those like me that need pictures...

First set your Route settings to:

Then, set your Heading settings to Course (CDI)

Now, start to navigate your Route. See the CDI overlaid on the magenta route line?

In my example I am navigating and the "NEXT" waypoint in the Guidance Text is 0044 indicated by the Red Flag.

If I should have missed waypoint 0044 the CDI Line would be indicating that and I could either navigate to that waypoint using the CDI bearing line OR I could set the Next (or any) Waypoint as my next waypoint in the Route by just touching that waypoint in the list...

Now, your route line and CDI will point to the NEXT (EntiatSummitRd11) waypoint for you to navigate to...

So, there you are. You CAN navigate to any point in any Direct Route from any where - when the Route is active.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #9190
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
And, for those like me that need pictures...

First set your Route settings to:

Then, set your Heading settings to Course (CDI)

Now, start to navigate your Route. See the CDI overlaid on the magenta route line?

In my example I am navigating and the "NEXT" waypoint in the Guidance Text is 0044 indicated by the Red Flag.

If I should have missed waypoint 0044 the CDI Line would be indicating that and I could either navigate to that waypoint using the CDI bearing line OR I could set the Next (or any) Waypoint as my next waypoint in the Route by just touching that waypoint in the list...

Now, your route line and CDI will point to the NEXT (EntiatSummitRd11) waypoint for you to navigate to...

So, there you are. You CAN navigate to any point in any Direct Route from any where - when the Route is active.

How did you get to the guidance text list from that map screen?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #9191
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
How did you get to the guidance text list from that map screen?
That is the "pan" map screen - which I used to show more of the Route. On the main map screen you have Guidance Text box at the top - if you set the Map settings to display it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #9192
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
That is the "pan" map screen - which I used to show more of the Route. On the main map screen you have Guidance Text box at the top - if you set the Map settings to display it.
Thank you for the clarification, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something :)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #9193
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Just as a refresher, with the Heading set to Course(CDI) this is what the map looks like when you are "off course" from the Direct Route heading.

In this screenshot I have the Compass set as a Dashboard.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #9194
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
That was sort of a plan I considered.

I usually keep only the ones I'm using in the "active" BirdsEye directory since it takes forever to boot if there are more than five or ten (I don't understand this..oh well). I keep the rest in a "temp" directory. Instead of half at a time I will probably just put ten or so at a time in the active directory and then narrow it down from there.

That's still a very tedious process. It's hard to understand (and frustrating) why I can't find out from the unit which file(s) is giving it heartburn.

Even though it might take longer chronologically, I may just pop the SD card out of the device (all my BirdsEye are on it), put it in the high-speed interface in my workstation and copy them all new from a SATA HDD where they're backed-up instead. This takes almost none of my time and using the high-speed SD interface it probably won't take that long anyway... I think it's about 10-11GB...
Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #9195
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
That was sort of a plan I considered.

I usually keep only the ones I'm using in the "active" BirdsEye directory since it takes forever to boot if there are more than five or ten (I don't understand this..oh well). I keep the rest in a "temp" directory. Instead of half at a time I will probably just put ten or so at a time in the active directory and then narrow it down from there.

That's still a very tedious process. It's hard to understand (and frustrating) why I can't find out from the unit which file(s) is giving it heartburn.

Even though it might take longer chronologically, I may just pop the SD card out of the device (all my BirdsEye are on it), put it in the high-speed interface in my workstation and copy them all new from a SATA HDD where they're backed-up instead. This takes almost none of my time and using the high-speed SD interface it probably won't take that long anyway... I think it's about 10-11GB...
If you don't split the remaining files by half at each step, you are only wasting more time.