ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #9211
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Does anyone know if this wonderful device has a file that logs errors, etc. that is user accessible? I keep getting a "Invalid BirdsEye File" during boot and It sure would be nice to know which file(s) are giving it fits so I can replace just the offending one(s) instead of all 70+ I have on there....
In addition to Atlas Cached's link, I bet Javawa Device Manager would also tell you what's wrong.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #9212
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
In addition to Atlas Cached's link, I bet Javawa Device Manager would also tell you what's wrong.
For JaVaWa Device Manager to be able to determine which JNX maps were valid for each device, JaVaWa Device Manager would first need access to Garmin's JNX encryption algorithms.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #9213
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
If you don't split the remaining files by half at each step, you are only wasting more time.
I'm pretty cozy with isolating files like this.. not my first rodeo. With the long boot time with lots of files in the unit, doing batches of ten (well 2^3or4 maybe) and when a bad batch is found splitting those in half recursively might make sense.

I just did a recopy. Only took ten-fifteen minutes of PC time and about ten seconds of mine.... Lesson here is it's always a good idea to backup. Like I said, not my first rodeo...

OTOH, somewhere in the unit it might log (heck, enunciate in the error screen!) which one of more than of seventy files was giving it a fit...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #9214
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Montana 6x0 Firmware 5.30 released today!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #9215
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I'm pretty cozy with isolating files like this.. not my first rodeo. With the long boot time with lots of files in the unit, doing batches of ten (well 2^3or4 maybe) and when a bad batch is found splitting those in half recursively might make sense.

I just did a recopy. Only took ten-fifteen minutes of PC time and about ten seconds of mine.... Lesson here is it's always a good idea to backup. Like I said, not my first rodeo...

OTOH, somewhere in the unit it might log (heck, enunciate in the error screen!) which one of more than of seventy files was giving it a fit...
Check your Montana:\Garmin\system.xml file in Notepad++ and let me know if you see anything interesting :)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #9216
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Ktmmitch... let me see if I can better define your challenge....

You have a route(s) in the unit that is a series of user waypoints.

I'm guessing you are not using a map to generate an "auto-route" but this may not be that important.

You want to be able to execute that route beginning at a waypoint that is somewhere in the middle of the route either because you wandered off the route or you are picking the route up from somewhere besides the beginning.

In the floptana you aren't finding a way [like the 276 in the route page] to tell it which waypoint in the route to resume/start the route.

Let me know how these statements incorrectly define your challenge!
That is correct, we just need to pick up the next, or any waypoint at any time, which was easy on the 276
ktmmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #9217
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Check your Montana:\Garmin\system.xml file in Notepad++ and let me know if you see anything interesting :)
It seems to have logged an error(s) but it just looks like a little register dump after that. I don't see anything hinting at what caused it heartburn. I'll look at it following other errors for s^!ts and giggles... I'm not getting BirdsEye error anymore...
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #9218
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
That is correct, we just need to pick up the next, or any waypoint at any time, which was easy on the 276
Well DRTBYK posted some instructions that look like if you're following the route as a waypoint to waypoint route without any auto-routing you should be able to re-enter the route at whatever waypoint you want. I think I did this "in the field" a while back and it worked for the non-autorouted active route but not good for for a route that's autorouted. Not sure though.

So..mebbe to simplify. When you are navigating a route (after "where to", "routes" menu) and touch the route directions on the map page it will take you to the "active route" page where you can then touch the waypoint that is your desired next waypoint....

Somehow that doesn't seem to simplify....
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #9219
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Well DRTBYK posted some instructions that look like if you're following the route as a waypoint to waypoint route without any auto-routing you should be able to re-enter the route at whatever waypoint you want. I think I did this "in the field" a while back and it worked for the non-autorouted active route but not good for for a route that's autorouted. Not sure though.

So..mebbe to simplify. When you are navigating a route (after "where to", "routes" menu) and touch the route directions on the map page it will take you to the "active route" page where you can then touch the waypoint that is your desired next waypoint....

Somehow that doesn't seem to simplify....
Navigating this way does not work with "auto-routing". If you were auto-routing you would have been prompted when you missed a waypoint anyway and the Montana would not give you any way to bypass it. Then again, I can't imagine anyone using auto-routing in a Rally(?).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #9220
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
...Then again, I can't imagine anyone using auto-routing in a Rally(?).
I can't speak for rallying, it's not my bag. I'm just not into organized events. But for "off-road" exploring, now that more maps have a lot more routable dirt (at least here in AZ), I often try to use it for that.

It's nice to be able to build a route while out exploring, on-the-fly as a series of just a few waypoints that will auto-route and follow the maze of dirt roads we have here in the mapset. As an aside, one of the really big pains is not being able to have legs that remain direct since not all navigable paths are auto-routable...

E.g. I am heading out to our White Mtns (Pinetop, Alpine, Springerville area) this weekend for some exploring (a few waypoints from google earth) and have friends with cabins to visit (all waypoints) and spots I've been before (waypoints). There are a lot of dirt roads in the area that are supported by CN and 24k and I've only been on 20-25% of them...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #9221
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I can't speak for rallying, it's not my bag. I'm just not into organized events. But for "off-road" exploring, now that more maps have a lot more routable dirt (at least here in AZ), I often try to use it for that.

It's nice to be able to build a route while out exploring, on-the-fly as a series of just a few waypoints that will auto-route and follow the maze of dirt roads we have here in the mapset. As an aside, one of the really big pains is not being able to have legs that remain direct since not all navigable paths are auto-routable...

E.g. I am heading out to our White Mtns (Pinetop, Alpine, Springerville area) this weekend for some exploring (a few waypoints from google earth) and have friends with cabins to visit (all waypoints) and spots I've been nefore (waypoints). There are a lot of dirt roads in the area that are supported by CN and 24k and I've only been on 20-25% of them...
If you were building your route in v4.2.2 of BaseCamp you could create mixed-travel routes and send them to the Montana where you could navigate them UNCHANGED.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #9222
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
I bought a used Montana, should be here soon! Now to learn to use it
Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #9223
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you were building your route in v4.2.2 of BaseCamp you could create mixed-travel routes and send them to the Montana where you could navigate them UNCHANGED.
99% of my routes are on-the-fly. I usually create them from where I am which I don't sit at home and plan. More often than not, I will want to CHANGE my on-the-fly route so this is capability that if it were in the floptana, would be of *much* greater value than in a PC which isn't really suited for on-the-fly...

About the only thing I use a PC for with regards to preplanning is to create waypoints of interest from google earth. I don't even need basecamp for that. I am even less of a fan of basecamp as I am the floptana... It's *ridiculously* slow (even in very fast workstations), has horrible search, a sloppy UI, not much useful functionality beyond what mapsource has (it has plenty of useless stuff though), etc...

The main thing I use BC for (painfully) is the BirdsEye and .jpg integration - one of the cooler things about the floptana. Although they're both somewhat more tedious processes than they should be IMO.

When I do look at routing on the PC I just use Google earth for the waypoints and Mapsource for the routing. Easy as pie and *much* faster. I will take a look at the latest BC. I have to admit I don't keep up with it much...
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #9224
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
99% of my routes are on-the-fly. I usually create them from where I am which I don't sit at home and plan. More often than not, I will want to CHANGE my on-the-fly route so this is capability that if it were in the floptana, would be of *much* greater value than in a PC which isn't really suited for on-the-fly...
It's great that you don't sit at home but what's stopping you from creating a route on the Montana that you can edit when you want to?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #9225
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:

About the only thing I use a PC for with regards to preplanning is to create waypoints of interest from google earth. I don't even need basecamp for that. I am even less of a fan of basecamp as I am the floptana... It's *ridiculously* slow (even in very fast workstations), has horrible search, a sloppy UI, not much useful functionality beyond what mapsource has (it has plenty of useless stuff though), etc...

The main thing I use BC for (painfully) is the BirdsEye and .jpg integration - one of the cooler things about the floptana. Although they're both somewhat more tedious processes than they should be IMO.

When I do look at routing on the PC I just use Google earth for the waypoints and Mapsource for the routing. Easy as pie and *much* faster. I will take a look at the latest BC. I have to admit I don't keep up with it much...

I have to admit, I almost never do routing on the fly. Aside from auto routing to a gas station or maybe a restaurant. I do poke around off route to explore on occasion, but I have my GPS set to not recalculate so I'll wander off route, then get back on route and continue.

There's a learning curve, but really, if you just sit down and USE it eventually you'll be just as comfortable with it as you are with Mapsource.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote