ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #9211
GB.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Can someone help me please, I've had my Montana a while now, got my profiles and routing etc sorted but there is one thing that bothers me.

Here's the scenario; I have a route stored on the Montana, it is say an off road route but it could be a road route, it is 40 miles away from current location, now how can I get the Montana to route me to the start of the off road route?
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #9212
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,452
The method above is one way to do it too----- Lycan1

If I am not mistaken just start the route and the Montana will navigate to the beginning of the route.
And then it will navigate that route.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #9213
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It's great that you don't sit at home but what's stopping you from creating a route on the Montana that you can edit when you want to?
You can only do it with a saved route, not an on-the-fly route since the wonderful floptana doesn't support multiple vias, only a single on-the-fly via (I so don't get this). And to the best of my knowledge you can't do mixed routes on-the-fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
....As an aside, one of the really big pains is not being able to have legs that remain direct since not all navigable paths are auto-routable...

SteveAZ screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 02:04 PM
SteveAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #9214
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
There's a learning curve, but really, if you just sit down and USE it eventually you'll be just as comfortable with it as you are with Mapsource.
Oh I've used BC enough and am completely comfortable with how to use it. Some of what I'm not comfortable with is how incredibly slow it is and how lame the searching is. Oh yeah, it gobbles disk space too. Every now and then I see it's chewed up >40-50GB of space (........Application Data\Garmin\BaseCamp\DeviceCache) so I just nuke the directory when it gets so big which of course makes the next time I plug the device or removable drive take forever. It's weird that even when I'm not changing maps, etc. on those devices that directory just seems to keep growing. Why it gets bigger so much than the data on the devices is a mystery. Heck it's a mystery why it puts it all local and then you can't use it unless the device is plugged in anyway. Stupid stuff.

Mapsource pretty much does what I need and it's *much* faster. Orders of magnitude. Searches are more straightforward too. I did put the BC 4.2.2 and being able do mixed routes might make sense to use it every few months... if I'm patient enough for it to load and sync up with the device.

If people can't tell, I have a complete lack of patience with what I see as foolishness or wasting my time!
SteveAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #9215
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
If people can't tell, I have a complete lack of patience with what I see as foolishness or wasting my time!
That's pretty much why I only read the bottom lines on your posts.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #9216
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Found an issue with 5.30: most of the icons I had assigned to shortcuts had changed. Only took 5 minutes to switch them back, but I guess it needs reporting.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #9217
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Found an issue with 5.30: most of the icons I had assigned to shortcuts had changed. Only took 5 minutes to switch them back, but I guess it needs reporting.
Aside from breaking something AGAIN, I don't suppose it fixed anything? Since I don't plan on buying one of their VIRB cameras I think I'll stick with what I'm on.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #9218
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Aside from breaking something AGAIN, I don't suppose it fixed anything? Since I don't plan on buying one of their VIRB cameras I think I'll stick with what I'm on.
This is supposedly fixed in 5.30: "*Fixed issue with route calculations always avoiding seasonally closed roads"

I'd say this was worth getting the latest for, if it's truly fixed. I can check if it's fixed by creating a route which takes me through a seasonal ferry; last time we tried to route that way, it told us to go around as if there was no ferry there and the ferry runs 8 months of the year.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #9219
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
This is supposedly fixed in 5.30: "*Fixed issue with route calculations always avoiding seasonally closed roads"

I'd say this was worth getting the latest for, if it's truly fixed. I can check if it's fixed by creating a route which takes me through a seasonal ferry; last time we tried to route that way, it told us to go around as if there was no ferry there and the ferry runs 8 months of the year.
Ahh, guess that would be worth it depending where you spend the bulk of your riding, but since almost all my riding is down south where we don't really have to deal with seasonal road closings. As stands right now I prefer not having those stupid lost sat faults come up so I won't be going to 5.30.

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 08:06 AM
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #9220
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:

Thanks, I will be quite interested to learn what your results are.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #9221
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Ahh, guess that would be worth it depending where you spend the bulk of your riding, but since almost all my riding is down south where we don't really have to deal with seasonal road closings.
Good point.

With CNNA enabled I created a route to a seasonal ferry, and my Montana 650 with version 5.30 took me to that ferry and routed across it.

With Topo Canada V4, which is supposedly an auto-routing mapset, it didn't know about the ferry.

Not very conclusive but it's all I have time to do right now.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #9222
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
Putsing around with my 650t I somehow have lost my status bar on one of my profiles (motorcycle profile) how can I get it back. Right now tis just a dark rectangle

thank you
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #9223
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
Putsing around with my 650t I somehow have lost my status bar on one of my profiles (motorcycle profile) how can I get it back. Right now tis just a dark rectangle

thank you
Possibly through Setup/Main Menu? Depends on how exactly you "putsed" it.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #9224
seatec
Dutch Transplant

Oddometer: 809
I looked around in main menu but cant find anything that relates to status bar. I don't know how I putsed it but also don't want to do a factory reset just to get it back
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #9225
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
I looked around in main menu but cant find anything that relates to status bar. I don't know how I putsed it but also don't want to do a factory reset just to get it back
Actually, I think all you really need to do is hit the menu button at the bottom of the screen and select "Change Favorites" and add a couple there.