ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #9316
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Super thanks....both of you! What GREAT support. You guys have nearly obsoleted Garmin customer service. Extremely impressive, I must say. Did Garmin ever send you a proper consulting fee?

Perfect link in the FAQ, EMBD! Been so busy reading the main thread, I hadn't meandered that way yet. BTW....I noticed in your photo, your Spot is positioned adjacent to your Garmin. Just wondering if that has ever caused a signal interference problem, as if you could notice? Seems I recall instructions suggesting separation by some minimum distance. So, very curious about this as I have mine spread apart on the bars as much as I can. But, would obviously prefer to tuck it all in the center, if it doesn't really matter.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #9317
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Super thanks....both of you! What GREAT support. You guys have nearly obsoleted Garmin customer service. Extremely impressive, I must say. Did Garmin ever send you a proper consulting fee?

Perfect link in the FAQ, EMBD! Been so busy reading the main thread, I hadn't meandered that way yet. BTW....I noticed in your photo, your Spot is positioned adjacent to your Garmin. Just wondering if that has ever caused a signal interference problem, as if you could notice? Seems I recall instructions suggesting separation by some minimum distance. So, very curious about this as I have mine spread apart on the bars as much as I can. But, would obviously prefer to tuck it all in the center, if it doesn't really matter.

HF
I've been running my Montana, 78S and Spot together for the last few days, and haven't had any issue. Perhaps this is a little excessive, but I want to see Geocaches without them cluttering up the Montana screen, so I loaded them to the 78.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #9318
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
My Spot has been next the GPS for nearly 100k miles with no issues.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #9319
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I don't believe in stress induced by "things" in my life. If it were me, I'd be looking elsewhere and I'd cut my loses (and stress) and sell it.
Trust me, I have very little floptana induced stress. I really don't have much stress in general and certainly have things to deal with that put a gps way, way in the background. Since it is a floptana thread, I only jabber about floptana things here and while I have some good things to say about it - and often do, I not only think we should be honest about its deficiencies. I feel *obligated* to bring the contrary point-of-view after purchasing one partly due to hearing all the folks singing the praise.

I don't think you and I really see things _all_ that differently.

It's too late to cut losses though. I've invested too much money and way too much time and the negatives aren't any where near enough to chuck it. That doesn't make them go away though. I'll continue to use it for at least a couple of years and keep my eye on what are potential suitable replacements... And you all can enjoy my banter in the meantime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I think you're in the minority. Most of the things you complain about only seem to affect you. As far as I can tell, you're the cause of most of your own issues by doing things like wiping out directories whenever you don't like their size, etc.

We have two Montanas in this house and they are both reliable. Just because we've nothing substantial to complain about does not makes us any less demanding than you.
I agree I am most likely in the minority but I don't agree at all about causing my own problems and they only affect me. Pretty much every complaint I've had has been echoed here or elsewhere.

It would be a mistake to think I am not a more demanding user. More educated and experienced user too.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #9320
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
. . . I'll continue to use it for at least a couple of years and keep my eye on what are potential suitable replacements... And you all can enjoy my banter in the meantime
I always enjoy your banter SteveAZ...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #9321
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
Another Way to Shorten the Cable and Quick Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Late to the party.......ok very late. But, I'm here. My 650T arrived today. Yippee!

I've read about 60 pages of this Thread, so far. Good stuff....but ugh....long way to go yet.

Here's my New Owner's Stupid Question:

Regarding the AMPS Rugged powered mount, has anyone cut the wire for a short lead (say only 6" from the mount base)? If so, are the positive & negative power wires still red and black under that sheath? Do they run same color nose tip to tail?

Anytime I see a junction/splitter halfway along the wires, it raises the question: "What's it look like on this side of the fence?

I already have an SAE lead wired in at my handlebar (for my old 60csx). I just want to splice an SAE plug onto the Rugged Mount power wire very close to the unit, to make that connection.....instead of pulling the whole wire harness thru the bike to my Fuzeblock at the battery.

HF
I did something similar to MBD's setup but instead of an SAE 2-pin, used one of our Baryl plugs (I get them for free). I wanted to maintain the audio pigtail but still wanted to shorten that long part between the cradle and the "Y". That meant that I had to splice not only the RED and BLACK but also the PURPLE (audio) and GREEN (Audio/Data GND). No biggie, just more wires to connect.

Here's link to the post
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=9004

Since you already have and SAE 2-pin you probably want to use it in place of a Baryl plug and socket but this might be helpful if you want to shorten the cable between the "Y" and the cradle.

BTW - my SPOT Messenger is pretty close to the Montana (you can see in the linked post). Not as close as MBD's tho. I now have a new SPOT Gen3 in the same place and still no issues.
Cheers,
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #9322
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Routing: A general discussion...

As most folks know who visit this Forum Thread, I like the Montana - for what it is. I've had very few problems with it over many thousands of miles. The past 8 months I have done a lot of Along-road routing with it in NA as well as CA and SA. When I do use Along-road routing, it's usually just to see what the crazy map data will produce - I always transfer Tracks with any Routes I pre-plan. I have managed to have the Montana calculate routes that were obviously bad and caused the unit to freeze during navigation. But, I knew it was the map data and not the unit. Removing the map from the unit and using another for that part of the world produced the route that I expected (not the path I intended to follow).

This is not to say all of the issues are in the map data - they aren't. But, there are only three primary contributors to routing on a GPS; the GPS Routing software, the user loaded routing data (if being used) and the Map Routing Data. If you look at those sources of potential problem causing data, either 50% OR 66% is user induced. And, those percentages can be increased if we don't have our Routing Preferences properly set for the Map's we installed. Is Routing complex? Yes. Should it be so? Maybe, maybe not. Is this a Garmin only issue? Well, yes and no. No first - other GPS software creators either don't support Along-road routing or they dictate the maps that must be used and they do not support GPX Routing data from "outside" sources.

Garmin is the only major GPS company that has a more-or-less "open" platform when it comes to Along-road Routing. And there in lies the potential for problems. Open is good - you have choices. Open is bad - anyone can provide data; good or bad. We - the users - reap the benefits and the burdens.

I can't count the number of times I've put bad data or maps on my GPS's (OK, sure I can 'cause I'm annal). It happens. Even the most casual user (non-techie) needs to understand that bad-data can happen. Be prepared: only put your maps and data on the µSD Card. That way when bad happens, you can easily remove your data and see if the problem lies with the "other 50%": the GPS Routing Software and/or your settings.

Garmin products are for the majority who don't want to be GPS technical. If, you want to be more of a Digital Cartographer you owe it to yourself to look at a few of the other GPS "system" providers out there and see how the rest of the world does it. There's a reason I have Garmin devices (only specific models) on my Recommended List.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #9323
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Well Said

Quote:
As most folks know who visit this Forum Thread, I like the Montana - for what it is. I've had very few problems with it over many thousands of miles. The past 8 months I have done a lot of Along-road routing with it in NA as well as CA and SA. When I do use Along-road routing, it's usually just to see what the crazy map data will produce - I always transfer Tracks with any Routes I pre-plan. I have managed to have the Montana calculate routes that were obviously bad and caused the unit to freeze during navigation. But, I knew it was the map data and not the unit. Removing the map from the unit and using another for that part of the world produced the route that I expected (not the path I intended to follow).

This is not to say all of the issues are in the map data - they aren't. But, there are only three primary contributors to routing on a GPS; the GPS Routing software, the user loaded routing data (if being used) and the Map Routing Data. If you look at those sources of potential problem causing data, either 50% OR 66% is user induced. And, those percentages can be increased if we don't have our Routing Preferences properly set for the Map's we installed. Is Routing complex? Yes. Should it be so? Maybe, maybe not. Is this a Garmin only issue? Well, yes and no. No first - other GPS software creators either don't support Along-road routing or they dictate the maps that must be used and they do not support GPX Routing data from "outside" sources.

Garmin is the only major GPS company that has a more-or-less "open" platform when it comes to Along-road Routing. And there in lies the potential for problems. Open is good - you have choices. Open is bad - anyone can provide data; good or bad. We - the users - reap the benefits and the burdens.

I can't count the number of times I've put bad data or maps on my GPS's (OK, sure I can 'cause I'm annal). It happens. Even the most casual user (non-techie) needs to understand that bad-data can happen. Be prepared: only put your maps and data on the µSD Card. That way when bad happens, you can easily remove your data and see if the problem lies with the "other 50%": the GPS Routing Software and/or your settings.

Garmin products are for the majority who don't want to be GPS technical. If, you want to be more of a Digital Cartographer you owe it to yourself to look at a few of the other GPS "system" providers out there and see how the rest of the world does it. There's a reason I have Garmin devices (only specific models) on my Recommended List.
Well said.
Even though we have a bunch of Garmin GPSs (is it GPSes?) I'm still a GPS novice. I've found that you, MBD and Atlas Cached have been invaluable resources in my GPS learning process. Pearls of wisdom like this make understanding the mysteries of GPS a bit easier.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #9324
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Well said.
Even though we have a bunch of Garmin GPSs (is it GPSes?) I'm still a GPS novice. I've found that you, MBD and Atlas Cached have been invaluable resources in my GPS learning process. Pearls of wisdom like this make understanding the mysteries of GPS a bit easier.
I and, I'm sure, my fellow thread contributor's thank you - "pearls of wisdom" ok, ok...thank you.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #9325
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I and, I'm sure, my fellow thread contributor's thank you - "pearls of wisdom" ok, ok...thank you.
Yes, it is nice to know we're helping sometimes.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #9326
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

But you didn't tell me if it GPSs or GPSes

Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #9327
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Neither. It's actually gpsrs.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #9328
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Neither. GPS receiver's - would be the correct plural english grammar.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #9329
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Neither. GPS receiver's - would be the correct plural english grammar.
Sorry, grammar police here. No apostrophe necessary. GPS receivers would be correct.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #9330
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sorry, grammar police here. No apostrophe necessary. GPS receivers would be correct.
You, sir, are of course correct. My right little finger got carried away. ''''''''

Dan
All Things GPS