ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #9421
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
I know it's been posted before, but I can't come up with a search to find it.

How do you convert tracks to picture files than have the picture as an overlay on the map?

I know a few folks on here use this method to ensure they are on the track.

John
Not really on topic for the Montana thread but you could start here: http://gpx2img.com/

Or this, which is free: http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:10 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #9422
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Tracks to map overlays

Thanks you Mr. Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not really on topic for the Montana thread but you could start here: http://gpx2img.com/

Or this, which is free: http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #9423
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Step by step

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
I know it's been posted before, but I can't come up with a search to find it.

How do you convert tracks to picture files than have the picture as an overlay on the map?

I know a few folks on here use this method to ensure they are on the track.

John
John, here are some notes I wrote up when someone else asked me by PM. I refer to it myself, since I only do it a couple of times a year.

How to make a map overlay:
A map overlay is an otherwise transparant high resolution image of your route line(s) that carries a tiny memory footprint.

Reasons to use / distribute a .gmap overlay of a long route:

A. It is always visible above any other maps on your GPS device once loaded and selected to display.
B. It is not subject to re-routing complications if you deviate from your intended route.
C. It is universally distributable to any garmin GPS device, whereas tracks have size restrictions and routes may be calculated differently on different devices.
D. You don't need any other map loaded to see it, just the basemap and you'll have a line to follow.
E. Redundancy. Why use routes too? Routes will give you mileage to next waypoint, gas or destination, the .gmap image will not.

Here are the steps:

1. Create your routes, in Basecamp, recalculate and confirm that they are following the roads/trails you want precisely.
2. Use Basecamp to convert your pre-calculated routes to tracks. No need to filter down points, they can have as many points as you like.
3. If desired, combine your tracks into one long track, or color code each track.
4. Export your track(s) as a .GPX file.
5. Open IMGfromGPX.
6. Drag and drop the .GPX file onto the window.
7. I use Thin_NT.typ, (NT=no label on track) try none and thick as you desire.
8. Choose track color if you want them all to be the same-- very important -- default (none) actually converts some BaseCamp shades to primary colors, see IMGfromGPX documentation.
9. Name the map as you like, enter it into the "Name on PC" and "Name on device" fields.

9.5 ***IMPORTANT NOTE*** If you have already made a map with IMGfromGPX, it will have assigned the Family ID as 12345. You will need to change the default entry in this field to a different number, 12346, for example. To check ALL your maps for these kinds of errors, etc, I suggest JaVaWa GMTK.

10. Click "Create map", you will be prompted where you want to save the .gmap file.
11. Double click on the .gmap file, MapManager should invite you to install it in your maps folder, or just drag it in the folder with all your other maps.
12. Close and re-open Basecamp and confirm that your .gmap is visible.
13. Open MapInstall and plug in your GPS. You should be able to select your map overlay to be delivered to your device along with any other maps like CNNA, or Topos.
14. Once installed on your device, select it... it will appear above any other selected maps, including CNNA.

Check the IMGfromGPX help files if you're having trouble.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

CA Stu screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 10:30 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #9424
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Map Overlays

Thanks Doc.

I know that this is what you do.

Our fall trip this year will be the first time for me following tracks using the Montana.

Still having trouble giving up the 478 and routes.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #9425
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,172
Thanks Doc. This is something I have been working on.
So far I found I needed java so I got that.
Now I get a different error.
I'll post what the error is later I'm out on a ride now.
Stopped for coffee.

Thanks for the info.
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut

USAIR screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 01:15 PM
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #9426
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
John, here are some notes I wrote up when someone else asked me by PM. I refer to it myself, since I only do it a couple of times a year.
-----------------------
How to make a map overlay:
A map overlay is an otherwise transparant high resolution image of your route line(s) that carries a tiny memory footprint.

Reasons to use / distribute a .gmap overlay of a long route:

A. It is always visible above any other maps on your GPS device once loaded and selected to display.
B. It is not subject to re-routing complications if you deviate from your intended route.
C. It is universally distributable to any garmin GPS device, whereas tracks have size restrictions and routes may be calculated differently on different devices.
D. You don't need any other map loaded to see it, just the basemap and you'll have a line to follow.
E. Redundancy. Why use routes too? Routes will give you mileage to next waypoint, gas or destination, the .gmap image will not.

Here are the steps:

1. Create your routes, in Basecamp, recalculate and confirm that they are following the roads/trails you want precisely.
2. Use Basecamp to convert your pre-calculated routes to tracks. No need to filter down points, they can have as many points as you like.
3. If desired, combine your tracks into one long track, or color code each track.
4. Export your track(s) as a .GPX file.
5. Open IMGfromGPX.
6. Drag and drop the .GPX file onto the window.
7. I use Thin_NT.typ, (NT=no label on track) try none and thick as you desire.
8. Choose track color if you want them all to be the same-- very important -- default (none) actually converts some BaseCamp shades to primary colors, see IMGfromGPX documentation.
9. Name the map as you like, enter it into the "Name on PC" and "Name on device" fields.

9.5 ***IMPORTANT NOTE*** If you have already made a map with IMGfromGPX, it will have assigned the Family ID as 12345. You will need to change the default entry in this field to a different number, 12346, for example. To check ALL your maps for these kinds of errors, etc, I suggest JaVaWa GMTK.

10. Click "Create map", you will be prompted where you want to save the .gmap file.
11. Double click on the .gmap file, MapManager should invite you to install it in your maps folder, or just drag it in the folder with all your other maps.
12. Close and re-open Basecamp and confirm that your .gmap is visible.
13. Open MapInstall and plug in your GPS. You should be able to select your map overlay to be delivered to your device along with any other maps like CNNA, or Topos.
14. Once installed on your device, select it... it will appear above any other selected maps, including CNNA.

Check the IMGfromGPX help files if you're having trouble.
Doc,

You should never include HTML tagging in your post without the HTML tag boundaries <>. Without them, your tagging forces the page to display your included Style -- which is not good.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

CA Stu screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 10:30 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #9427
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

I have no idea what all that is. I just cut and pasted from notes I had in a msword doc. I should have converted to pain text first. Will do that when I return to my office. I encourage those who quoted it to edit their posts and delete the quote.

Sorry, my bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 4
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 10:27 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #9428
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I have no idea what all that is. I just cut and pasted from notes I had in a msword doc. I should have converted to pain text first. Will do that when I return to my office. I encourage those who quoted it to edit their posts and delete the quote.

Sorry, my bad.

I fixed it, no charge.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #9429
USAIR
picking and riding

Doc.
Hope you can help.
Ran the program (IMGfromGPX 1.9) and got this message-------An error occurred ---- "NilObjectException in module wProgress.GetMapName"

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #9430
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Doc.
Hope you can help.
Ran the program (IMGfromGPX 1.9) and got this message-------An error occurred ---- "NilObjectException in module wProgress.GetMapName"

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Fred
You may achieve better results by asking the people who wrote the software
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #9431
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You may achieve better results by asking the people who wrote the software
Yeah I thought about that after I posted it here.
But there's so many good experts here in this thread thought what the hell.
And it's hard to find good help these days...you know?

Will give it a try

Thanks
Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #9432
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Doc.
Hope you can help.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Fred
For Mac, I'd say upgrade to v2.0, and make sure you're naming the maps (don't leave those boxes blank). Let's take any other map overlay troubleshooting to PM or a new thread.

For PC, you're on your own.
:)

Old 09-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #9433
USAIR
picking and riding

I'm PC haven't made that move yet.
Thanks

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #9434
USAIR
picking and riding

OK you those who are paying attention or care.

I updated JaVaWa GMTK to version 3.2
And also IMGfromGPX to 2.0

Ran the program still got the same error but it did make the map from the gpx file.
So I good with that.

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #9435
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
I'm having a problem with my new 650T...

I load north America City Navigator in and my Ibycus topo - ***BUT***

When I look at the maps available in my GPS, it comes up as them combined.... however.... no matter what zoom, no Topo shows.

And they were loaded at the same time but as 2 different maps with Roadtrip.

HELP !

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote