ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #9466
alstroemeria
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question anyone else had/have this montana vibration issue?

after my zumo 450 went the way of the dodo, i purchased the montana in april. took me a bit to get comfortable creating routes in basecamp & transferring to the unit, but i did it. actually, this monster thread helped me quite a bit in figuring out the montana so THX to the continuing, collective wisdom of all you gps geeks!

problem ensues : we recently went on a 1300 mi trip for which i created a handful of daily routes. wouldn't you know it, montana poops halfway through 1st day. one second, the gps is doing what a gps does, next second, blank screen. at first i thought it was the gps turning off until i continued to hear the turn notification beeps.

solutions i've tried with no success (still white screened):

-- thought it was loose battery compartment issue & packed the compartment
-- had just started using a new lithium-ion battery that was gifted to me so i switched back to my original battery (unit is not powered by bike)
-- ensured all Display settings were correct
-- hard reset
-- maybe there's issue with routing, so i plugged in address/waypoint instead

thing is that when off the bike, the montana stayed on & seemed to function normally. get on the bike & the screen craps out within a few seconds. while riding, i've turned unit off & on several times & it continuously white screened.

i've RMA'd my unit & as i wait for its replacement, i'm curious, could it be the vibration of the bike that affects the montana...?! i use the basic plastic RAM mount cradle. i know a ton of you guys go on way more epic roads with the montana successfully so i can't imagine my bmw F800S' vibration is gps-deadening. fyi, garmin rep told me the montana wasn't really built to be used for the motorcycle despite me mentioning that there is a motorcycle mount & motorcycle profile for the unit. anyway, mulling over whether i should sell my montana & get another gps. don't want to but concerned that if it is a vibration issue, i'll continuously be white-screened, which would suuuck for my directionally-challenged ass.

should also mention that, previously, when connected to the computer, i would always "Safely Remove Hardware" from my PC. this last time, after transferring my routes, i just unplugged the UBS cable because i was told that it was ok to do so. who knows, little thing like this may matter.

appreciate any input!
alstroemeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #9467
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstroemeria View Post
appreciate any input!
What version of the software were you at? Did you buy your gps from a reputable dealer or was it from a private seller or eBay sale? Just curious if you had an old unit. I ran my Montana on a F800GS and still use it on a DR650, so there's a fair amount of vibration going on here which doesn't affect mine in any way.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #9468
alstroemeria
n00b

purchased from gpscity.com, which seems to be a reputable seller, in april 2013. i believe i was at the software version right before the latest (didn't think to write down the specific version #). i remember a garmin rep had said the latest update didn't have anything that would help with my issue.

i figure these units are built to withstand this type of use so vibration shouldn't be the issue. thanks for your input! will just have to wait & see if the issue replicates in the replacement unit.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #9469
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
after my zumo 450 went the way of the dodo, i purchased the montana in april. took me a bit to get comfortable creating routes in basecamp & transferring to the unit, but i did it. actually, this monster thread helped me quite a bit in figuring out the montana so THX to the continuing, collective wisdom of all you gps geeks!

problem ensues : we recently went on a 1300 mi trip for which i created a handful of daily routes. wouldn't you know it, montana poops halfway through 1st day. one second, the gps is doing what a gps does, next second, blank screen. at first i thought it was the gps turning off until i continued to hear the turn notification beeps.

solutions i've tried with no success (still white screened):

-- thought it was loose battery compartment issue & packed the compartment
-- had just started using a new lithium-ion battery that was gifted to me so i switched back to my original battery (unit is not powered by bike)
-- ensured all Display settings were correct
-- hard reset
-- maybe there's issue with routing, so i plugged in address/waypoint instead

thing is that when off the bike, the montana stayed on & seemed to function normally. get on the bike & the screen craps out within a few seconds. while riding, i've turned unit off & on several times & it continuously white screened.

i've RMA'd my unit & as i wait for its replacement, i'm curious, could it be the vibration of the bike that affects the montana...?! i use the basic plastic RAM mount cradle. i know a ton of you guys go on way more epic roads with the montana successfully so i can't imagine my bmw F800S' vibration is gps-deadening. fyi, garmin rep told me the montana wasn't really built to be used for the motorcycle despite me mentioning that there is a motorcycle mount & motorcycle profile for the unit. anyway, mulling over whether i should sell my montana & get another gps. don't want to but concerned that if it is a vibration issue, i'll continuously be white-screened, which would suuuck for my directionally-challenged ass.

should also mention that, previously, when connected to the computer, i would always "Safely Remove Hardware" from my PC. this last time, after transferring my routes, i just unplugged the UBS cable because i was told that it was ok to do so. who knows, little thing like this may matter.

appreciate any input!
Did you get the name of the "Garmin rep" that told you the Montana wasn't really built for use on a Motorcycle? That person should be allowed to work somewhere else. Your new unit should work much better.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #9470
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
... should also mention that, previously, when connected to the computer, i would always "Safely Remove Hardware" from my PC. this last time, after transferring my routes, i just unplugged the UBS cable because i was told that it was ok to do so. who knows, little thing like this may matter.

appreciate any input!
Who gave you that nugget of advice?

For the little bit of extra time it takes I'd ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware". Just not worth taking the chance of corrupting something. YMMV
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #9471
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Montana IS Built for Motorcycle Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Did you get the name of the "Garmin rep" that told you the Montana wasn't really built for use on a Motorcycle? That person should be allowed to work somewhere else. Your new unit should work much better.
Agreed, that rep is not doing Garmin any favors and needs an invite to work elsewhere.
Last summer I had my Montana on my KTM for a long ride from London to Samarkand, UZ in a zig-zag route through Turkey, Moscow and the 'Stans.
This summer it was up to the Arctic Circle and on to Inuvik and back.
Lot's of rough roads, days and days of rain and two heavy duty "offs" that broke stuff on the bike & me.
The Montana ran like a Swiss watch throughout. "Not made for a motorcycle"? Bull pucky!
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #9472
alstroemeria
n00b

Emmbeedee: purchased from gpscity.com in april 2013. since i hadn't thought to record the specific software version, best guess is i had the software version prior to the latest update. a garmin rep I spoke to mentioned the latest update wouldn’t have solved my issue so, at least, I’m certain I wasn’t fully up-to-date. had definitely connected the montana to the garmin site shortly after purchase so software shouldn't have been far outdated either.

yeah, just doesn’t make sense that it would be vibrations affecting the Montana. I’ll hope for the best with the replacement unit.

DRTBYK: turns out I do have his name, well, first name: cody. aside from his misinformation, was a nice rep even if all he could do was set up my RMA. keeping my fingers crossed about the replacement unit!

250senuf: oops, meant USB cable…and it was my husband who gave me that advice. never going to listen to him again. I’m with you, will stick with “Safely Remove Hardware” hereon out.

Shov3BR: wowza! now that's a sturdy montana! hoping the replacement unit will be as sturdy as the rest of yours. i was on roads smooth as a baby's butt & covered approximately 20 mi the day when my montana crapped.

thx for the replies!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #9473
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Mine did some weirdness on a recent trip. I took 5 weeks and went out west to tour National Parks and forests. I premade some daily routes in basecamp. When I tried to use them, it'd work for a little while. Then, in the middle of a direction, it'd stop mid-sentence. I could see it still tracking though. Then it would stop at the point of the turn. Master reset, try again. It would freeze again and then the map would go blank and that area turned red. The direction band at the top of the screen would be empty. ("while navigation" set to nuvi.) Master reset, try again. I finally gave up after I don't know how many master resets and a call to Garmin. If I just used "go to" and pick a waypoint, it worked fine. The Montana hates routes made in basecamp.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #9474
alstroemeria
n00b

these units can do the funkiest things, especially in the middle of a trip. in my case, tried both routes & a single waypoint/address & screen still died. prior to this trip, the montana worked great, even with a route made in BC.

woodsatyr: are you getting a replacement or were you able to get your unit functioning again?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #9475
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
these units can do the funkiest things, especially in the middle of a trip. in my case, tried both routes & a single waypoint/address & screen still died. prior to this trip, the montana worked great, even with a route made in BC.

woodsatyr: are you getting a replacement or were you able to get your unit functioning again?

They are funky!!

No, I'm not sending it back. I'd get another one that will do the same thing. No, I'll just not use routes created in BC. I can take the waypoints, transfer those over and then use the "where to" and create a route that way. I'm tired of messing with it.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #9476
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Mine did some weirdness on a recent trip. I took 5 weeks and went out west to tour National Parks and forests. I premade some daily routes in basecamp. When I tried to use them, it'd work for a little while. Then, in the middle of a direction, it'd stop mid-sentence. I could see it still tracking though. Then it would stop at the point of the turn. Master reset, try again. It would freeze again and then the map would go blank and that area turned red. The direction band at the top of the screen would be empty. ("while navigation" set to nuvi.) Master reset, try again. I finally gave up after I don't know how many master resets and a call to Garmin. If I just used "go to" and pick a waypoint, it worked fine. The Montana hates routes made in basecamp.
My experience has been that I've recently been creating lots of multi-day, multi-waypoint routes in Basecamp and transferring them in direct routing mode to my Montana running 5.3 with no routing problems during the rides whatsoever. I do tend the break multi-day routes up into separate routes for each day so they are easier to deal with on a daily basis.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #9477
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
My experience has been that I've recently been creating lots of multi-day, multi-waypoint routes in Basecamp and transferring them in direct routing mode to my Montana running 5.3 with no routing problems during the rides whatsoever. I do tend the break multi-day routes up into separate routes for each day so they are easier to deal with on a daily basis.

Some people are just lucky I guess.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #9478
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Your conclusion doesn't seem to be in line with the majority of Montana users. If you don't want to have the condition remedied by replacing your unit, you might try doing your Route planning in BaseCamp and then set the Route Activity to Direct mode before transferring to the Montana. This will help to eliminate any map data issues and if your Montana is having route calculation issues it will make it a bit easier to calculate the route. You do of course need to use an appropriate number of Waypoints/Via Points to shape the route for repeatability.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 01:43 PM
Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #9479
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Your conclusion doesn't seem to be in line with the majority of Montana users. If you don't want to have the condition remedied by replacing your unit, you might try doing your Route planning in BaseCamp and then set the Route Activity to Direct mode before transferring to the Montana. This will help to eliminate any map data issues and if your Montana is having route calculation issues it will make it a bit easier to calculate the route. You do of course need to use an appropriate number of Waypoints/Via Points to shape the route for repeatability.

I don't think it will be remedied by replacing the unit. This is already unit #2. And I follow the procedure you described to transfer routes. It still doesn't work using routes. Sorry you don't like my conclusion - that's just how it is.

Btw, one route only had 2 points - a start and a finish. It still malfunctioned. Yet if I used the Where to? to route to the ending waypoint, it worked fine.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #9480
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think it will be remedied by replacing the unit. This is already unit #2. And I follow the procedure you described to transfer routes. It still doesn't work using routes. Sorry you don't like my conclusion - that's just how it is.

Btw, one route only had 2 points - a start and a finish. It still malfunctioned. Yet if I used the Where to? to route to the ending waypoint, it worked fine.
I don't mean to sound argumentative regarding your conclusion. It's your call. As for the routing issue, there is a lot of data in a route even one with only Start and End Points. If you're using Direct Routes, then I would agree it is the Unit at fault. If you are using Along-road Routes, the shaping data can cause lots of issues that can be the fault of the unit code, the map data or the shaping data created by the map data in BaseCamp. One thing you didn't share with us is, what Map are you using?

Dan
All Things GPS