ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 201 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #9526
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Are you turning the Track Log Recording function off when you stop for soup & coffee, or before you turn the unit off for the night, and then restarting the Track Log Recording just before you resume your journey for the day?
Nope I'm just using the Montana as a map (with more detail) as I ride through pretty familiar territory, searching out all the little back roads. So I'm just running it, letting it shut down and restarting it as I resume my ride.

Thanx for the reply.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #9527
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,699
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
That's because you're always on the move even in your sleep!! Your gps has picked up on this and is doing the same.
Yaa got me there sista! haha
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #9528
tujacov
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I did not get through 600 pages of the thread yet, I am still working on it
I have a question, maybe answer is somewhere in these pages... I read somewhere that it was possible to make transparent maps - then I could see two maps on the screen in the same time. Anybody could point me how to do that?
tujacov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #9529
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujacov View Post
I have a question, maybe answer is somewhere in these pages... I read somewhere that it was possible to make transparent maps - then I could see two maps on the screen in the same time. Anybody could point me how to do that?
Don't bother looking for it in this thread. It's not anything that's unique to the Montana. Do a Google search on the Interweb instead.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #9530
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujacov View Post
Are you wanting to see or make tracks on a custom map?

Running two maps is not a good idea.

Look here maybe this is what you want do.

Here's what I did recently...my brother has some trails on his farm.
They get grown up over the year.

I took my tracks from riding the trails then used JaVaWa IMGfromGPX to create a map that has the trails on that map.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut

USAIR screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 02:48 PM
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #9531
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Then don't change them for the Trip Computer, but you must unlock them there. ALL data field dashboards are locked and unlocked via Trip Computer.
Not true. You can Unlock the Map Dashboard Datafield from the Map screen. Just touch the Menu button and select Unlock Data Fields...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 03:01 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #9532
tujacov
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I found few free maps of interesting area for me - OSM and two others. But the roads which are on one map are not always on the others, that's why I thought I could use two of them in the same time - then I would have bigger coverage of 'small roads' which I want.

I found some info below, but now I have to get through it, doesn't seem to be easy:
https://help.openstreetmap.org/quest...r-on-my-garmin
tujacov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #9533
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not true. You can Unlock the Map Dashboard Datafield from the Map screen. Just touch the Menu button and select Unlock Data Fields...
My bad. The Oregon 6xx locks/unlocks all data fields from the Trip Computer. Guess which unit I have been using the most recently?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #9534
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
When I have my dashboard set to "small data fields", I can touch one of the fields and it will bring up the menu to change data fields. Is that what you're looking for?

(PS. when I'm viewing the map.)
Yes, it was this simple.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #9535
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Are you wanting to see or make tracks on a custom map?

Running two maps is not a good idea.
Not necessarily true. Running two full-detail maps is probably going to get confusing and bog down the device, but running, for example an OSM map and a simple map like you described of your brother's farm trails, sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I usually run the OSM-on-Garmin map as well as a custom IMG I made from Vermont AOT data to show class 4 roads and legal trails, and the two work quite well together.

Granted, the IMG I made is not routable, and that might be a crucial point—I'd expect two routable maps running simultaneously to be an issue.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #9536
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,266
That is what I meant to say.

Anytime I run two routable maps I run into trouble.

Running my custom maps not routable work fine they act as just a transparent overlay.

I have never tried to use two detailed maps one routable and one not but I might just give this a try.

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #9537
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Yes, it was this simple.
Sweet!

woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #9538
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Finished a 4,500 mile round trip couple weeks ago....up the CDR & back home. Holy Smokes the Montana is fantabulous! I only had it about a week before departure. But it's so intuitive and easy to operate, I had no troubles sorting it out on the fly....along with the fine help in this Thread. And the Screen.....that wonderful big bright screen!! Goodbye 60CSX forever. Much more powerful reception too. Works anywhere I've tried in doors, no problem.

Only issue I haven't sorted out is managing the Tracks properly. I have it auto archiving daily. That works good. But wondering if I need to manually clear the log each new morning?? Some days it would stop tracking, as if the log got full. Next day it would track all day, no problem, over a longer distance. Do you have to partition the memory space? Think I've got an 8GB Card in there. It's acting like the track memory is limited, but I've not found where to adjust it.

My best three purchases of past 12 months: Husky Terra, Garmin Montana, & a pair of Keen sandals/shoes. Wonder how I ever lived without them!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #9539
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Only issue I haven't sorted out is managing the Tracks properly. I have it auto archiving daily. That works good. But wondering if I need to manually clear the log each new morning?? Some days it would stop tracking, as if the log got full. Next day it would track all day, no problem, over a longer distance. Do you have to partition the memory space? Think I've got an 8GB Card in there. It's acting like the track memory is limited, but I've not found where to adjust it.
Not sure about your experience, but I am using Record Method = Auto and Auto Archive = When Full. Then, at the end of a day's ride, just before I shut the Montana down, I perform a manual archive & clear of the current track. Some days, when I am riding a long distance and making many course and speed changes, the track log fills up, archives automatically, and starts a new track log. I see this on the screen as the track line starts over.

My thought is that the Montana is recording track points based upon some algorithm, and that sometimes it records points more often, and fills up the track log. When that happens, in your case, it stops tracking. You can control how often it logs a track point, based upon time or distance, if you like.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #9540
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Think I've got an 8GB Card in there. It's acting like the track memory is limited, but I've not found where to adjust it.
Glad to hear you like your Montana so much.

Re: track issues - I auto-archive daily, then clear the tracks each day.

Oh, and the size of SD card you have in the Montana has no effect on track recording since the tracks are recorded on the Montana itself, unlike the 60CSx which can be configured to record to the card. Unlike the 60, the Montana has more than enough capacity to record tracks on the gps, which are very small files anyway.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote