ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #9691
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Not sure. I ran the install program last night with the SD card removed. I came back (some time) later and it said it completed. It was time to go to bed so I popped the SD card back in (leaving map that was already on SD card intact), fired it up and the GPS is now working as fast as it used to, and now it don't crash calculating routes (plus calculates routes in 1/10 the time it was taking the last couple trips.)
I'd be willing to bet the application installed the map to your computer, and not your gps. Have you checked which version(s) are being reported in the gps itself?

Are you on a Mac or Windows? If you're on a Mac, have you run the application called MapManager?

And if what you say is true and you still had CNNA on the sd card when you put it back into the gps, then either you have two virtually identical maps and they will conflict, or you only have the one which was on the card.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #9692
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not sure I understand your comment. Are you saying you are not using OSM data and don't intend to base your application on OSM data?
OSM data was what I started with, and expanded from there.

We can discuss map content here, I just wanted to make ADV Montana users aware of the project and ask for track data contributions.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #9693
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'd be willing to bet the application installed the map to your computer, and not your gps. Have you checked which version(s) are being reported in the gps itself?

Are you on a Mac or Windows? If you're on a Mac, have you run the application called MapManager?

And if what you say is true and you still had CNNA on the sd card when you put it back into the gps, then either you have two virtually identical maps and they will conflict, or you only have the one which was on the card.
windows. How to I tell what map is on the GPS? I know the date on the file on the card is correct, but what menu do I check to see map version?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #9694
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
windows. How to I tell what map is on the GPS? I know the date on the file on the card is correct, but what menu do I check to see map version?
To do so on the gps go to Setup\Map\Select Map and the list will show you which maps you have and probably also which version.

You might also want to use Javawa Device Manager - it can tell you which maps are on it, and if there's a conflict between maps, and a whole bunch of other useful facts about it. It's free to download, and quite easy to use.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #9695
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Quote:
To do so on the gps go to Setup\Map\Select Map and...
...and after you select any of the installed maps, touch the (i) in the bottom menu to view specific map version information.

Quote:
You might also want to use Javawa Device Manager - it can tell you which maps are on it, and if there's a conflict between maps, and a whole bunch of other useful facts about it. It's free to download, and quite easy to use.
I use this software regularly. You should try it :)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #9696
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Known bug around here. It happens when the log gets close to full. Powering the unit off and on will bring them back....

This is not consistent with my recent observations...

Quite often my current track will disappear. power cycling the unit did not
help on the latest event.

I checked the usage of the track memory in the "reset" menu and it was only
at 44%, so the log filling up cannot be the issue.

This is quite frustrating and a major failure at the second most important task
any GPS receiver has to perform. Also, we should not have to power
cycle the unit to get the track to function correctly. Garmin has dropped
the ball in a big way letting this bug persist while they waste resources
on some esoteric and arguably useless features in the last few updates.

This Montana is at 5.40 but has happened with other versions as well.

Amazing dirtbike adventure in Asia:
http://www.philippineoffroadadventures.com
Adventure Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #9697
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
This is not consistent with my recent observations...

Quite often my current track will disappear. power cycling the unit did not
help on the latest event.

I checked the usage of the track memory in the "reset" menu and it was only
at 44%, so the log filling up cannot be the issue.

This is quite frustrating and a major failure at the second most important task
any GPS receiver has to perform. Also, we should not have to power
cycle the unit to get the track to function correctly. Garmin has dropped
the ball in a big way letting this bug persist while they waste resources
on some esoteric and arguably useless features in the last few updates.

This Montana is at 5.40 but has happened with other versions as well.
That's disappointing to hear. I agree logging data is [at least] the second most important task, at least for me!

I have only found the track disappearing when it's close to full and it happens frequently. Then again, 98% of the time mine is close to full (Auto Archive "When Full", Record Method "Time", Interval "00:00:01") and I very seldom clear it - usually only if I'm trying to make a track that I think I might try to navigate or for some reason I want to reset the track odometer. I agree, it's crap to have to power cycle, especially a unit that takes a long time to power up (compared to other GPS's), but that has always brought it back for me.

I've heard the same from several other users about it disappearing when near full and power cycling recovering it. Yours is the first I've heard when it's not very full and not coming back. Shame.

People jabber about adding or enhancing features when they can't even fix bugs that have been around...forever? Well I guess they "Added Icelandic keyboard". Other than that it's been over a year since pretty much any feature was enhanced (forget about adding one)...

I think I'm still on 5.1...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #9698
jrsue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
BaseCamp

Little help here please with Basecamp. I imported lots of old tracks and other stuff, I don't want to trash it just want it in a seperate folder "Old Garmin Data" as you can see in the screen shot is there a way to multi select the lists and drag them into my "Old Garmin Data" folder. So far the only way I see is to drag one at a time.

jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #9699
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
Little help here please with Basecamp. I imported lots of old tracks and other stuff, I don't want to trash it just want it in a seperate folder "Old Garmin Data" as you can see in the screen shot is there a way to multi select the lists and drag them into my "Old Garmin Data" folder. So far the only way I see is to drag one at a time.
Windows BaseCamp currently does not support multi-select of LISTS or LIST FOLDERS.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #9700
jrsue
Adventurer

Really? whats up with Garmin and Multi-Select. First no multi select tracks to turn on or off visibility, and now this ...Oh well

If I could find the My Collection data folder maybe it could be done in windows. But I couldn't find the path.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #9701
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
Really? whats up with Garmin and Multi-Select. First no multi select tracks to turn on or off visibility, and now this ...Oh well

If I could find the My Collection data folder maybe it could be done in windows. But I couldn't find the path.
There is no such folder. BaseCamp is a database. Folders and Lists are not physical things like your Windows file system.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #9702
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
I checked the usage of the track memory in the "reset" menu and it was only at 44%, so the log filling up cannot be the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Yours is the first I've heard when it's not very full and not coming back.
The track memory value displayed in the reset menu is for total memory, not just the current track.

The Montana can actively index up to 200 track logs, and each of them can have as many as 10,000 points. That's a potential grand total of two million track points.

My math suggests Adventure Addict had approximately 880,000 track points loaded when the Montana displayed the 44% value.

I suspect, as it has been for so many others, the current track log was near the 10,000 point limit when it 'disappeared from the map screen'.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #9703
jrsue
Adventurer

WOW anybody ever see a screen like this? This is the Yes or No Prompt for Recalc. ...any suggestions, this doesnt look right. It does work though I tried both Yes and No

Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #9704
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I suspect, as it has been for so many others, the current track log was near the 10,000 point limit when it 'disappeared from the map screen'.
I'm embarrissed to say I don't think I've had my Montana on long enough at one time to hit the 10K limit and/or see the track log disappear from the screen while in use.

But I do have a two part question....

- Is the current track disappearing because it's getting written to the log and at that point since it's not the current track it's not displayed? Which makes sense to me.

- Or is the issue that the Montana is designed to continue to display the current track even after it writes it to the log file, and that is not happening?

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #9705
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
The track memory value displayed in the reset menu is for total memory, not just the current track.

The Montana can actively index up to 200 track logs, and each of them can have as many as 10,000 points. That's a potential grand total of two million track points.

My math suggests Adventure Addict had approximately 880,000 track points loaded when the Montana displayed the 44% value.

That seems reasonable.

It's still odd that power cycling didn't bring it back to view. I don't bother to do the power cycle thing when it disappears all that much, maybe two or three dozen times, but so far that's always brought it back to view....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote