ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #9811
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
GPS not booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Is the uSD card still installed? If so, remove it, and try again.
The mSD card is NOT installed.

Quote:
... Use forced mass storage mode if it will not boot normally, and remove all non essential data from the device, then reboot again.
I tried to follow the intsructions on your wiki:
Forced USB Mass Storage Mode

The following procedure forces your Montana into USB Mass Storage Mode so that you can delete/remove/rename any recently added files:
1.Remove all batteries from your Montana
Done
2.Connect the Montana to your computer with a USB cable
Done
3.As the Montana powers up and begins the boot process, immediately press and hold the power button without disconnecting the USB cable until the Montana powers down
Tried but it just goes to the GARMIN logo and stays there. However, I hear the computer beep as though it recognizes a USB device, but when I look in Explorer there is no USB drive shown.
4.Press and Hold the power button for 30 seconds, or until the USB symbol appears on the Montana display
Couldn't get past step 3.

I contacted Garmin support today and they asked if I had Geocaches loaded. Replied NO but not heard any more yet.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #9812
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
In fact, that reminds me. When I got the exceptional results (<1m RMS if I reacall) on the 76 a few years ago it was using a very expensive survey antenna mounted on the roof of a two story building on flat open ground (very good for reducing multipath). Antennas are way more important than you might think! The 76 (and x76/x96, 60, etc.) antennas are better than the crap little patch in the floptana which may be one of the reasons it has such poor positioning.
Have you tried the Montana with an external antenna? I'd be curious to see what you came up with. I'd also be curious to see if another Montana had similar drift issues, as there have been some reported issues with the internal antenna connection and I'm wondering if perhaps your Montana is exhibiting some form of those.
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #9813
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
The mSD card is NOT installed.

I tried to follow the intsructions on your wiki:
Forced USB Mass Storage Mode

The following procedure forces your Montana into USB Mass Storage Mode so that you can delete/remove/rename any recently added files:
1.Remove all batteries from your Montana
Done
2.Connect the Montana to your computer with a USB cable
Done
3.As the Montana powers up and begins the boot process, immediately press and hold the power button without disconnecting the USB cable until the Montana powers down
Tried but it just goes to the GARMIN logo and stays there. However, I hear the computer beep as though it recognizes a USB device, but when I look in Explorer there is no USB drive shown.
4.Press and Hold the power button for 30 seconds, or until the USB symbol appears on the Montana display
Couldn't get past step 3.

I contacted Garmin support today and they asked if I had Geocaches loaded. Replied NO but not heard any more yet.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Bob
I edited the wiki to make the process more streamlined. Forcing mass storage mode was a little more tricky in the past, but not so much now.

Please try the updated method:
  1. Remove all batteries from your Montana
  2. Press and Hold the power button and connect the Montana to your computer with a USB cable
  3. Continue to Hold the power button for 30 seconds, or until the USB symbol appears on the Montana display
  4. The Montana will be in forced USB Mass Storage Mode
  5. Remove or rename any recently added maps, images, gpx or other files that may be causing the issue
  6. Disconnect the Montana from the USB cable
  7. Install previously removed battery or batteries and power up the Montana
  8. Repeat Steps 1-8 as needed until the Montana boots properly
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #9814
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
Have you tried the Montana with an external antenna? I'd be curious to see what you came up with. I'd also be curious to see if another Montana had similar drift issues, as there have been some reported issues with the internal antenna connection and I'm wondering if perhaps your Montana is exhibiting some form of those.
Not yet. Based on the experiment of moving it to the roof I'd expect it to do better with a good external antenna whether in ideal conditions or not. It would be an interesting test though.

I really doubt I'm having the internal antenna connection issues that I've read about. These would almost certainly cause much different results than I'm seeing. I have rarely seen entire constellation dropouts aside from traveling in tunnels or the couple of times I've experienced the "acquiring satellites" with fast map speed bug where power cycling is all it takes to reset. The receiver trouble I see is precision that is around half an order of magnitude worse than most other GPS's I use. My floptana has seen very little shock and vibration too. The only moto use has been a little street time on a big GS (smooth ride). Everything else has been car/4x4 or handheld with a very small amount of time in sailplanes.

I suspect the internal antenna has low SNR and poor multipath rejection and I don't think that mine is any different than most all of them coming off the line. I may have some external antennas in a drawer and if I can find them easily I may give them a whirl in the yard. It's nice that I have a repeatable experiment that is very easy to do and takes almost none of my time and I can modify one significant variable at a time. Most the antennas I expect to have on hand are just patches but I still bet they're better than the internal floptana antenna. I prolly have some passive quadrifler helixes too. Heck, it's all just more data points. I can get a hold of very high performance survey antennas but that will push the envelope of time resources to put into this and I'm going to stick with the stuff that doesn't take much of my time. Believe it or not, I've got plenty of other things to do.

It's been suggested "interesting" results may appear by trying some older firmware. The only hard part there is that when I change firmware I'm religious about backing up and organizing prior to doing it so I need to set aside the time to do all that but it should be done periodically anyway and I'm interested in doing these tests...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #9815
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I edited the wiki to make the process more streamlined. Forcing mass storage mode was a little more tricky in the past, but not so much now.
Thanks. I tried your revised method but the result is the same - it doesn't boot. Earlier today Garmin sent me some instructions similar to yours but with an important difference. They suggest to use WebUpdater and to use the "Find Device" button after plugging the Montana into the USB port with the Power button held. Although Win Explorer doesn't see a USB drive, Webupdater does and it is able to download the lastest Firmware Update to the GPS. Unfortunatley, this failed in my case as I got an "Update file is corrupted" message, probably due to whatever happened to the system files when this fault occured.

Anyway, the great news is that I then phoned Garmin Support (zero wait time for a Tech) and he offered to replace my unit, even though it's technically out of warranty. I've had this unit less than 12 months, but it was a replacement for my original purchase which I had 6 months.

Thanks for your help. I'll post the procedure Garmin sent me on your wiki.
Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #9816
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
anybody have a BMW that came with the GPS prep and mounted the Montana?

I don't expect the Montana to fit the mount, or interface with the bike at all, but can the mount be removed and the Montana powered mount be installed in its place?
Howzit, hope you are well.

I have a 2009 BMW GS (non adventure model) and I have a Montana 650t mounted on a bar over the dials using a RAM mount and the Garmin rugged mount bolted to it.

I paid 15 for a connector that plugs straight onto the plug that was dangling behind the oil cooler. I spliced this connector to the rugged mount wires and it works perfect. It has the proper power requirements to charge and power the device and when you kill the ignition, it stays powered for a couple of minutes then shuts the power off.

Regards,

Dave
Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #9817
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
anybody have a BMW that came with the GPS prep and mounted the Montana?

I don't expect the Montana to fit the mount, or interface with the bike at all, but can the mount be removed and the Montana powered mount be installed in its place?
There are two connectors on the 2013 GS LC that are referred to as the GPS Prep. One of them is Power (two pins). You can get a Connector Pigtail from any BMW Dealer that you can splice into the Rugged Mount cable and power your Montana using the Power Cable for the GPS Prep.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #9818
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I cant get my montana to connect to my computer?

I thought Id grab a track off the transaustraliatrail.com site and go for a 2 day ride I started at 730am its 930am now Im gutted :(

I plugged it in all went fine downloaded the gpx put the gpx file in with the rest of the gpx files I have in there. I realise now I should of imported it into basecamp first then edited the points down so the montana could handle all the points/marks what ever they are called. I didnt. now I plug the thing in and nothing! my computer wont recognise the montana and I have half a track to follow

I guess no way of telling but there is to many flags/waypoints? in the gpx file provided for the montana to deal with them? so I only get half the track I wanted when I look at the where to map. Looks like its time to just go get lost. So frustrated with this thing
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #9819
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
There are two connectors on the 2013 GS LC that are referred to as the GPS Prep. One of them is Power (two pins). You can get a Connector Pigtail from any BMW Dealer that you can splice into the Rugged Mount cable and power your Montana using the Power Cable for the GPS Prep.
06 83 30 0 413 585 REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN - NO. 6116560.03 1 $20.70

Function: 3-pin for LED of anti-theft alarm, optional-accessories plug (device end). Can-bus plug that allows you to splice to a GPS power cord and connect to switched power on your Can-bus model. MIDDLE NOT USED, RH WIRE IS POWER, LH WIRE IS GROUND.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #9820
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
06 83 30 0 413 585 REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN - NO. 6116560.03 1 $20.70

Function: 3-pin for LED of anti-theft alarm, optional-accessories plug (device end). Can-bus plug that allows you to splice to a GPS power cord and connect to switched power on your Can-bus model. MIDDLE NOT USED, RH WIRE IS POWER, LH WIRE IS GROUND.
Hello

This is the exact connector I used. I only needed 2 of the 3 wires on it.

Regards

Dave
Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #9821
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterD View Post
Hello

This is the exact connector I used. I only needed 2 of the 3 wires on it.

Regards

Dave
I already have this connector. The montana was already wired to my F800 (and still has the connector attached to the wires as I pulled everything off the bike.)

When I picked up the 14 R1200gs this afternoon, I checked out the GPS prep, the gps mount is the exact 4 screw mount as the montana powered mount. Tomorrow I will check it out in the light, but it looks promising.

I know I will not be able to use the LS hand controls to operate the Montana.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #9822
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yep, that's the plug and sorry I wasn't clear on the pin's - you only USE two of the pins. This has been discussed so many times in this forum, sometimes I just short-hand my answers and I have to quite doing that. There are always new folks.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #9823
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer: 65
weirdness when navigating a track

Noticing some oddities lately when navigating tracks...

I have the dashboard configured to show me the distance to destination
which normally shows me the distance remaining from where I am to the
end of the track, as I would expect. This normally works fine when I start
from the beginning of the track.

However, there are two situations where the Montana does not seem to
always handle this properly.

First, if I start from somewhere other than the beginning by joining the
track from somewhere else it will not always show me the proper distance
to the end from the point I am joining the track at. Sometimes it seems
it is showing me the total distance of the track, PLUS my current straight
line distace to the "start" of the track. 100% useless.

Second, if I deviate from the track (perhaps a detour around an obstacle
or washed out path/bridge/etc) it will get screwed up and then it is not
clear what it is showing.

Sometimes it would seem to be showing the distance from where I am back
to the beginning of the track, other times what it shows doesn't seem to
make much sense at all. Most of the time it never corrects itself and I
complete the track with erroneous information showing.

Sometimes when I rejoin the track after a detour it will correct itself and
show the correct distance to destination but not always.

I have searched around and cannot find any in depth information on how
the Montana handles track navigation so I am wondering if any of you
have encountered this before.

Also, it is not clear what the "margin of error" is... i.e., at what distance
from the track does the montana consider it not on the track anymore?

Am I asking too much of the montana or am I right in expecting this should
work properly?

Amazing dirtbike adventure in Asia:
http://www.philippineoffroadadventures.com
Adventure Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #9824
Terje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Hi!
The reason may be that your Spot is too close to the Montana.
Spot says on the website: "Keep your Spot unit at least 12 inches away from other GPS-devices"

Cheers
Terje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Here's the video I promised. The Montana's mounted on my DR650, at about a 45 degree angle right between my Spot unit and a Garmin 78S. The Montana has the compass in "Auto" mode so the e-compass is activated. The bike is not moving, and the compass is as steady as can be.

he wiped it off with a white rag
and smiling coolly drove away....)
Terje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #9825
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje View Post
Hi!
The reason may be that your Spot is too close to the Montana.
Spot says on the website: "Keep your Spot unit at least 12 inches away from other GPS-devices"

Cheers
Terje
Are you saying my Montana works well because it's so close to the Spot? I have no problem with either the Montana or the Spot. They've been that close all this year, for perhaps 15000 kms.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote