ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #9976
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
.... You might want to check back once and a while as I'm not so sure that Garmin has abandoned the Montana with regards to functional updates -- or bug fixes. The Montana is still a very good selling unit. ...
I hope you're right, Dan.

The guy that runs GPS Review website made this comment in a discussion about the Monterra not long after it was announced:
Quote:
.... I have to believe that Garmin is keenly aware of these market pressures and they probably sell these advanced units on a pretty slim margin. Rich {Owings} has an interesting theory on the Monterra over at GPSTracklog. He feels it's just an experiment and Garmin doesn't expect to sell very many. He thinks the "real" product will come along later, something with an Oregon form factor. According to him, the Montana has not sold very well either because it's perceived as being too large. ....
Interesting.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #9977
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 671
Montana getting Senile?

My Montana is having more frequent Senior moments. This Fall, I loaded several new tracks before heading out to Utah. When I fired it up out there, the tracks could not be found in Track Manager. I reloaded them with my laptop, and then found 3 copies for each track! Somehow over the next few days, yet another copy for each track showed up.
I straightened things out, and deleted the extra tracks, and had no more issues that trip. Over many local trips, the unit worked normally, until yesterday. I opened Track Manager to select one of my frequently used tracks, and found that NONE of my tracks showed up!
That's around 100 tracks just gone.
All the archived tracks were there, and as I headed out for the ride, I found that all my usual tracks DID show on the map.
After several restarts, the tracks still didn't show in Track Manager, but when I connected to Basecamp, they ALL showed up in User Data.

So, why can't I see these tracks in Track Manager?
Any ideas?
Maybe a Master reset?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #9978
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
For me, the egg here is the data (silly cliche, the egg came first). If I get enough data, I start thread..... Mebbe those that want a new thread the most should be the ones providing the most data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #9979
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
So, why can't I see these tracks in Track Manager?
Any ideas?
I have occasionally noticed this, and with waypoints and routes as well. I make a habit of manually deleting ALL tracks, routes, and waypoints with Explorer every few months (that's everything in the GPX folder except archived tracks, which I never use anyway) then reloading them all from BC.

If one of the items is corrupted it will cause this behavior, which is why I routinely delete and load only those items I am going to need on a trip. The less items in the unit the less likely this is to happen, in my experience.

Not very adept at error handling, the Montana is.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #9980
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I have occasionally noticed this, and with waypoints and routes as well. I make a habit of manually deleting ALL tracks, routes, and waypoints with Explorer every few months (that's everything in the GPX folder except archived tracks, which I never use anyway) then reloading them all from BC.

If one of the items is corrupted it will cause this behavior, which is why I routinely delete and load only those items I am going to need on a trip. The less items in the unit the less likely this is to happen, in my experience.

Not very adept at error handling, the Montana is.
Thanks, Rocky. That makes sense to me, and I do have a lot of data stuffed in there. On my 60cx, I always tailored the data I loaded to the job at hand, since it had such limited capacity. I really appreciated just carrying all my data around in the Montana all the time, until this issue began to occur.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #9981
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
External Antenna Question

I am in the market for a new GPS. It is either the Montana or Monterra (when it comes out). I am not too keen on purchasing a brand new unit however, the newer GPS/GLONASS antenna of the Monterra is very appealing to me as I typically ride in very heavy tree cover and would like to get a unit with the current antenna instead of an outdated one.

With my 276c, I solved the blocked satellite problem by adding an external antenna to the front fender. With the antenna out front, when I stand and ride, my body isn't blocking the satellite reception when the trees aren't already doing the same thing. It works well and I hardly ever loose satellite reception.

I guess I have two questions that I couldn't find any previous discussions about when searching.

First, I have read of issues with the newer MCX connectors on the units having issues with durability. Has anyone experienced this? Is it the antenna side that breaks or the Montana side of the connector with issues? The older BNC connector on the 276c has a twist lock and I never have had any issues with that.

Second, I have done some searching and it seems like some vendors are making small external antennas that have the newer GPS/GLONASS chipset in them. If one were to get this, would the Montana be able to utilize the additional satellite info provided by the upgraded antenna?

Uller screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 06:44 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #9982
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
...Second, I have done some searching and it seems like some vendors are making small external antennas that have the newer GPS/GLONASS chipset in them. If one were to get this, would the Montana be able to utilize the additional satellite info provided by the upgraded antenna?
I can't really answer your first part, but I can address your last comment.

The only "chipsets" in the external antennas you'd use with floptana (montana) or Monterra are just amplifiers and filters. They do need to be different to support GLONASS as it's on a little bit different frequency than GPS.

The "chipset" in the unit has the receiver electronics (in the unit vs. in the external antenna) so to utilize GLONASS it needs to have a "chipset" suitable for that. Floptana doesn't, Monterra does.

Summary: an external antenna that supports GLONASS won't help with flpotana and in fact may be very slightly worse than a GPS only external antenna. They are both probably significantly better than the internal antenna....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #9983
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
I am in the market for a new GPS. It is either the Montana or Monterra (when it comes out).
You're definitely gonna want GLONASS, so the Montana is out.

Monterra should be shipping before the year is new.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #9984
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You're definitely gonna want GLONASS, so the Montana is out.
Yep...
Quote:
Monterra should be shipping before the year is new.
Really?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #9985
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,669
Will there be a Flopterra in our future??
Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #9986
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Will there be a Flopterra in our future??
My magic 8 ball says "It is highly likely."
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #9987
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Thanks for the responses. (And being kind with my incorrect terminology )

I figured that was the case on both accounts. Guess I was hoping it wasn't so I could buy the cheaper unit and still get by.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #9988
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
My magic 8 ball says "It is highly likely."
Is this your opinion of the unit or do you think he'll buy one? He did say he wouldn't have bought a Montana if he hadn't believed the ' pollyannas ', and also that he hadn't researched it enough. What are the odds of that happening again? Unless he's a glutton for punishment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #9989
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is this your opinion of the unit?
I do not have an opinion, as I do not yet have a Monterra :(
Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #9990
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
I figured that was the case on both accounts. Guess I was hoping it wasn't so I could buy the cheaper unit and still get by.
Most of us are happy with "the cheaper unit". In fact I have both here, and still use the Montana a lot.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote