ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #10231
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1717 View Post
Hey Fred, yes you're dead on the money with loading up a bunch of tracks before hand. I do that with scores of backroad tracks in my native Deals gap area for motard use. Then play between the lines looking for more. Makes it easy to lead a uber fast group on a 200 mile rip & still scout some without too many backtracks. Problem with that is I had to make every single one of those tracks myself.. Many months of dead ends using CN. 50% error in the mountainous neighborhoods I play in. The mountain folk don't take too kindly to the 'gps done it ' explanation. It happens so much that some rds. have signs on them stating the fact. MAny of these CN rds. disappeared 50 years ago.

Back to Colorado :
Now that I have loaded up maybe 50 of my local , tracks I am good to go......except as soon as I boom on down towards Mex. again or up to ride the TID again, I have the same issue.. constantly.

Time after time I go back to the old 276, which is the last thing I want to do. Especially since my kid uses it and makes me look goofy as he out navigates me easily with it. BUUUUTTT 15 tracks & 1.5 gig max of maps with the 276 sux. ...hugely.
After riding TID then heading home from Canada on 525 having used up all the 276's track, then active log points going thru Washington, Oregon, & TID T2 then following Dualsportmaps fine line on my droid back down thru Utah deserts to Silverton,Co. I vowed to fix the issue.

I will say the montana does work extremely nice for those wishing to follow a given set of tracks & work off several different maps,,,32 gig card.
I only do that the first trip through an area.
Moody
This same thing happens to me all the time.
Riding logging roads which are now county roads but still just end and now your trespassing.

Some of these good boys in Ky don't take kindly to this.
So far I have been able to talk nicely and get out of trouble.

Some roads and I know they are county roads people have been putting up big gates.
I still can't figure how this is legal.

Lots of maps from the state of KY show the roads connect but they either don't or are now gated...to keep out joy riders???
Crazy.......

So far the Montana works for me.
But I am sure there is something better out there...I just haven't found or used one yet.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #10232
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
I think I am really screwed. Coming from a 276 using Garmins antique topo, I was able to hide all the clutter and contour lines. Saving just the roads, backroads and trails. .... Using the Montana 24K, various other topos and City Nav. this type of set up is not possible. ....
Until you find a suitable map you may want to try this workaround with your old 100K Topo USA.

Set the display to "Night" and then you can see the backroads OVER the contours until you zoom out to 2m. City Navigator needs to be at 0.8m so you have a much larger area displayed on your screen with Topo.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #10233
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
.....Set the display to "Night" and then you can see the backroads OVER the contours until you zoom out to 2miles.....
Well, I'll be damned! I've had the '98 Topo USA for 16 years and that NEVER occurred to me!

Obviously I never ride at night.....
Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #10234
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Some roads and I know they are county roads people have been putting up big gates.

Lots of maps from the state of KY show the roads connect but they either don't or are now gated...to keep out joy riders???
Crazy.......
We have some similar roads in Vermont due to the Ancient Roads legislation. My guess is that, in general, towns have little interest in dealing with illegally blocked roads—the people who block them are generally local landowners (and taxpayers), and unless another taxpayer complains because access to his or her land is cut off, the town has little motivation to deal with the gate (and possibly a legal battle, if the landowner forces the town to prove in court that the road is, indeed, a public right of way).

Of course, many of those big gates are relatively recent developments as either the properties have changed hands or as misuse of the roads has pissed off the landowners.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #10235
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
I think I am really screwed. Coming from a 276 using Garmins antique topo, I was able to hide all the clutter and contour lines. Saving just the roads, backroads and trails. I could quickly show my current location and 30 miles away and still see the roads and trails and quickly determine my route. Or at least get headed in the right general direction and pick as I go. Using the Montana 24K, various other topos and City Nav. this type of set up is not possible. It seems almost useless for "on the fly" navigation. I hate having to plot every inch of where I am going before I can even begin a local 200 mile ride. Am I the only one that sees a problem witih this?

Just sold my Montana and this was one of the contributing factors. My old x7x garmins are still superior for my wants/needs.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #10236
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Just sold my Montana and this was one of the contributing factors. My old x7x garmins are still superior for my wants/needs.
So what's in your future????

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #10237
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
This same thing happens to me all the time.
Riding logging roads which are now county roads but still just end and now your trespassing.

Some of these good boys in Ky don't take kindly to this.
So far I have been able to talk nicely and get out of trouble.

Crazy.......

So far the Montana works for me.
But I am sure there is something better out there...I just haven't found or used one yet.

Fred
Why don't you try Open Street Maps (OSM) in your area? Instead of making tracks and reloading them into your GPS, become a map editor and add them to the OSM in your neighborhood. After a week or so your tracks will be incorporated into the Open Street Map for Kentucky and they'll be there for anyone who wants them. You can edit those dead end roads to show no_exit and change the ones that go through as appropriate.

You can download Garmin auto-routing maps based on OSM data from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #10238
Blazer1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Bobm,, I tried the night thing you suggested. It does make a big difference in being able to see the rds., trails, ect. The .8 zoom is definitely less of a bother when you can actually see the rds. quickly.
I haven't had the chance to check it in bright daylight, but I think it will be ok.
Very nice trick that I will use at all times with the 600.
It will be interesting to see how it works out when booming out in an area with no tracks loaded.
Thanks much.

Now come up with an equally impressive fix for holding the backroads/trails at less zoom than .8. I'll buy ya a shot o shine.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #10239
Blazer1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ok after monkeying around with 600 in night mode, finally dawned on me to increase the detail settings again, duh. Backed out to 2mi. the backrds. are still showing up. That makes this thing dam near usable.
I may keep it.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #10240
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDave View Post
Why don't you try Open Street Maps (OSM) in your area? Instead of making tracks and reloading them into your GPS, become a map editor and add them to the OSM in your neighborhood. After a week or so your tracks will be incorporated into the Open Street Map for Kentucky and they'll be there for anyone who wants them. You can edit those dead end roads to show no_exit and change the ones that go through as appropriate.

You can download Garmin auto-routing maps based on OSM data from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
The area I do a lot of riding is about 140 sq miles according to basecamp.
I's small but lots of roads and trails in there and lots of mountains to climb too.
So maybe a custom map would be better??

I have used the OSM before and briefly looked at the editor and tried to use it and gave up.
I really didn't try too hard to figure out the editor so I may have to return and try harder.
It's a good idea though the maps seem to work real good on my Montana and my 60CSx.

Thanks
Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #10241
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDave View Post
Interesting…

I was curious to look at the maps so I selected a tile and then downloaded it from the list on the left of the map.

Note: I did not do the email/create map option.

It downloaded as a .img file but I was unable to import and/or open it with BaseCamp on my MAC.

Do I need to change the file extension?

Jon…
Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #10242
USAIR
picking and riding

Another thing I found is that old versions of Topo seem to have some roads and trails that 24k does not.
My version is so old I had to use JaVaWa MapConverter to convert it to the new Garmin format.
Worked great.

There is one problem with running all these maps.
In Basecamp when you make a route you better have the same map on your Montana or it will not work.
It wants to recalculate and that might not be a bad thing but it also sometimes comes up with an error and your screwed.

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #10243
USAIR
picking and riding

Jon

I have only done the email...it sends you a link.
It may take several hours before your map is ready too.

Then run the .exe file and it takes care of the rest.
Just did a small download here's the email I got.
It told me I had 60 mins to wait.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices

Combine maps request accepted

You will receive two emails:
  • One email containing a link to a webpage where you can track the status of your request which will be sent immediately.
  • One email containing the download location for the Windows BaseCamp/MapSource installer, Mac OSX BaseCamp/RoadTrip installer, Linux package and gmapsupp.img when the server has processed your request.
There are currently 10 requests in the queue...
The email containing the tracking URL is successfully sent.
Go back
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut

USAIR screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 08:45 AM
Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #10244
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Fred,

Thanks for the info. I'm just leery of giving my email to web sites unless I have to. So when I discovered I could download the map without giving out my email I tried that. But I might give the email method a try anyway when I have more time because I am curious about the quality of the maps for my area.

Jon…
Old 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #10245
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Another thing I found is that old versions of Topo seem to have some roads and trails that 24k does not.
My version is so old I had to use JaVaWa MapConverter to convert it to the new Garmin format.
Worked great.

WOW, I thought I was the only one who still had that version of the old Topo maps.

Of course I still have my 60c too

Jon…