ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #10231
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Well my Zumo 50 died but after reading this thread I'm not so sure I am ready to dive in to another problematic GPS. Decisions decisions
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #10232
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well my Zumo 50 died but after reading this thread I'm not so sure I am ready to dive in to another problematic GPS. Decisions decisions
You read this WHOLE thread?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #10233
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
You read this WHOLE thread?
I read just about every 25th page. Quite a bit of info and this is probably one of the more helpful threads on the site. I just don't know if I want to deal with the frustration. The Zumo has been good but I would love to have topo and there are others that are better for trails and two track.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #10234
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
First experience with Montana 650 is that ounce for ounce an extra screwdriver or pliers would be more useful. I have not successfully loaded a single map in 8 hours ( never past 12%), have to reinstall the software to download on my HP every time I try( dozens of times), a MacBook Pro is slightly better, but still no map.

I was unable to get Garmin's software to recognize the s/n, then it finally did without any prompt. I ended up buying City twice since there was no recognition of the transaction being complete.

No amount of resetting allows it to show 3 gb of memory, no idea why I can't erase the partial 2008 topo that went in early in the effort.

The list goes on and on.

junkyardroad screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 08:24 AM
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #10235
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,668
Sounds to me like your real problem is a slow internet connection. The map download from Garmin's server to your computer is generally slow, sometimes taking a few hours to complete and far more if your net connection is slow.

Re: freeing space on the GPS. Just connect in mass storage mode and remove the old map. Are you using Map source to load maps?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #10236
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sounds to me like your real problem is a slow internet connection. The map download from Garmin's server to your computer is generally slow, sometimes taking a few hours to complete and far more if your net connection is slow.

Re: freeing space on the GPS. Just connect in mass storage mode and remove the old map. Are you using Map source to load maps?
It loaded after 12 hours. Sorry about the rant, this was so frustrating. Never heard of mass storage mode, how do I do that?
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #10237
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
It loaded after 12 hours. Sorry about the rant, this was so frustrating. Never heard of mass storage mode, how do I do that?
Glad to hear you're making progress. Rather than explaining it all over again, I should just point out this site with all the information you're likely to need: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/
Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #10238
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
So I had my first outing with the Montana this weekend. Saturday, I had it on the dirtbike for 5-6 hours, and sunday a quick 2 hour hike with the dog. I had the back-light off, but despite the heavy cloud cover, rain, and being in the woods a lot, it was way easier to see than I thought. My phone, at the highest brightness, doesn't even compare, and it would have been dead long before the end of the day.

My only issue is the draw rate of the map. I have it set to fast, but its still really slow. I have about a gig of satellite imagery loaded to the devices uSD card, as well as 24k topo maps on the uSD card (class 10 32 gig). When riding, I was trying to drag around the map to find places to drop pins to navigate to, but it was painfully slow. I'm looking for land marks that can only be found using the satellite imagery. Would moving the satellite images to the devices onboard memory help? FWIW I also had about 25 tracks loaded on the map in that area (they were on the devices built in memory)

P
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #10239
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Hmm.. If I remember correctly, you rode through Mexico hurricane? And what other elements have your 650 went through? I am interested to know what type of expose the 650 went through when you travel south because I am planning similar trip next year.. It would be helpful to know what may cause it to happen. Thanks!
It has been on the bike thru torrential rain and scorching heat. never dropped and I hope I have not been pressing too hard on the screen. The problem started in southern Peru when I was riding daily in rain for a week. It's been reliable until now
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #10240
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
It has been on the bike thru torrential rain and scorching heat. never dropped and I hope I have not been pressing too hard on the screen. The problem started in southern Peru when I was riding daily in rain for a week. It's been reliable until now
Is there a Garmin dealer anywhere near? Is it under warranty? If not, you could get a refurbed exchange for $170. If you take it apart, you might kiss that option goodbye. You can probably call Garmin's toll free number and explain the situation; they might send you a refurb before getting yours back.

This is the Out of Warranty page, in case you need it.

Good luck.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 06:44 PM
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #10241
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is there a Garmin dealer anywhere near? Is it under warranty? If not, you could get a refurbed exchange for $170. If you take it apart, you might kiss that option goodbye. You can probably call Garmin's toll free number and explain the situation; they might send you a refurb before getting yours back.

This is the Out of Warranty page, in case you need it.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info and link. I'm on the move every day for the next 6 weeks so I'll have to deal with this when I get home.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #10242
Blazer1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Montana vs 276

I think I am really screwed. Coming from a 276 using Garmins antique topo, I was able to hide all the clutter and contour lines. Saving just the roads, backroads and trails. I could quickly show my current location and 30 miles away and still see the roads and trails and quickly determine my route. Or at least get headed in the right general direction and pick as I go. Using the Montana 24K, various other topos and City Nav. this type of set up is not possible. It seems almost useless for "on the fly" navigation. I hate having to plot every inch of where I am going before I can even begin a local 200 mile ride. Am I the only one that sees a problem witih this?
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #10243
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
I haven't purchased the 24k topo primarily because as far as I know you can't hide the contour lines. The relief map also appears to only be visible when you are zoomed out so I still haven't found a way to get a "terrain" view that is comparable to what I see on an iphone and Google maps.

City Nav seems to have quite a bit of trail detail and is easy to use to navigate on the fly so I'm not sure I get what you mean. If the contour lines are cluttering your view, you can choose to have the 24k map not show and just use City Nav.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #10244
Blazer1717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Guavadude, thanks for the reply. City nav just leaves too many gaps when getting down to it my opinion. If you have no idea where you are maybe it's ok because you are only going to hit the high spots anyway. When you basically know where a group of trails are, but maybe has been five years since you've been there,[& you have ridden 10,000 trail miles since being there], then the cn 's shortcomings are very obvious, in fact pathetic.
I have tried the old garmin roads & tracks as my hero Jerry Counts recommends. Better than CN but still not as thorough as the old topo when viewed on 276 with contours & clutter removed. Which truly I thought was obsolete when I first viewed my 24k on the montana. Wrong! 24k's only good on deep zoom. Hard to pick your route quickly unless you are already within 5 miles, not 25 miles.
Hang an antiquated 276 on one bar & a montana on the other, get 5 guys riding up your butt, looking for you to take them on a 150 mi. ride in semi unfamiliar territory in Colorado, & you will quickly see how much slower navigating with the 600 is.
Again tho, this is without plotting it out first.
OR, maybe there's something I'm missing....I hope.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #10245
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer1717 View Post
Guavadude, thanks for the reply. City nav just leaves too many gaps when getting down to it my opinion. If you have no idea where you are maybe it's ok because you are only going to hit the high spots anyway. When you basically know where a group of trails are, but maybe has been five years since you've been there,[& you have ridden 10,000 trail miles since being there], then the cn 's shortcomings are very obvious, in fact pathetic.
I have tried the old garmin roads & tracks as my hero Jerry Counts recommends. Better than CN but still not as thorough as the old topo when viewed on 276 with contours & clutter removed. Which truly I thought was obsolete when I first viewed my 24k on the montana. Wrong! 24k's only good on deep zoom. Hard to pick your route quickly unless you are already within 5 miles, not 25 miles.
Hang an antiquated 276 on one bar & a montana on the other, get 5 guys riding up your butt, looking for you to take them on a 150 mi. ride in semi unfamiliar territory in Colorado, & you will quickly see how much slower navigating with the 600 is.
Again tho, this is without plotting it out first.
OR, maybe there's something I'm missing....I hope.

Since you are riding the same trails over time why not put them into the Montana as tracks?
You have to do a show tracks one at a time but if you show most or all before the ride your good to go.

Or better yet create a custom map with all tracks in that area.
I have done this for a couple of farm trails I ride on works great.
It's just an overlay in City Nav.
IMGfromGPX is a good way to do this.

US Topo doesn't have that many contour lines...not as busy.
And some GPS Depot topo maps are pretty good.

Just some Ideas you probably thought of these.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote