ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #10291
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Hey, it's waterproof! just spritz the screen with some distilled water and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth, like the one for your glasses.

Oops , don't wear glasses? Just go to an optometrist and beg for one.

Or use a piece of chamois.

I clean mine after every ride in the dust, which is just as bad in Idaho as in Oz.
There'll be no spritzing thank you, it's not a BMW

Bit of a PITA having to stop and wipe it, the best I can do while on the move is to give it a blast from the mouth tube on my Geigerrig pressurised hydration pack thingy. Then I usually run it under the tap when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You could also try changing the angle you have it set to. Sometimes a couple of degrees makes a difference.
Yeah, that's what I have been doing. If only the sun would stay in the right spot
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #10292
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Hey, it's waterproof! just spritz the screen with some distilled water and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth, like the one for your glasses.

Oops , don't wear glasses? Just go to an optometrist and beg for one.

Or use a piece of chamois.

I clean mine after every ride in the dust, which is just as bad in Idaho as in Oz.
Heck, I just dump water from my hydration bladder on it most times.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #10293
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
... There doesn't seem to be anything commercially available so I might try reshaping a couple of old visors I have lying around from car GPS units.

Thanks for the replies.
Like someone else pointed out, these are "highly reflective" displays and they are generally more readable in sunlight when not shaded. You may find that changing the mount angle to avoid first-surface reflections (specular, like a mirror) like another pointed out goes a long way toward dealing with your challenge since about the only time they look worse in direct sunlight is when a first surface reflection from a bight object (either the sun or a sunlit white object like a shirt) is dominating the ability of the display to reflect the ambient light. Putting a shade over it can help these instances but will take a way from the other times. I.e. after adjusting mount angle, the slight amount of the time the shade will help will be counter-balanced by the order of magnitude greater amount of the time it hurts.

Bottom line, try mount angle - it's your best first line of defense for a highly-reflective displays washing out in sunlight. These aren't you grandfather's displays anymore!

Heck, the display is probably floptana's single best feature!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #10294
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
can't turn off recalc You most certainly can; Setup->Routing->Off Route Recalculation=OFF. Routes imported to the Montana are not automatically recalculated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You need to spend a bit more time with the Montana -- see my comments inline with your quote.
And what does this do for you? I have asked the Montana to route me somewhere, then deviated from the route down a more interesting road, and it acted like I was on the route it computed. What have I done wrong?

BTW, the only routing options are Minimize Time and Minimize Distance. Why not Maximize Fun?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #10295
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
Maximize fun is done by telling it to prefer forest roads and in my area avoid state roads.

But to make this work correct setup a new profile with these options. Be sure to also setup an identical profile in base camp so you routes work when moved from PC to Montana.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #10296
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Maximize fun is done by telling it to prefer forest roads and in my area avoid state roads.
Is this serious? Can you tell it Avoid Highways, Prefer County Roads, etc? Or am I a victim of my own sarcasm?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #10297
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
Is this serious? Can you tell it Avoid Highways, Prefer County Roads, etc? Or am I a victim of my own sarcasm?
Hell yes. Avoid u turns, ferrrys, avoid interstates and off the top of my head there is more.

I use the auto profile which takes any highway, the trip is 1 hr. Change to my adv profile and the same trip is 3 or 4 hours of great back roads.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #10298
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Hell yes. Avoid u turns, ferrrys, avoid interstates and off the top of my head there is more.
Here's the list of avoidances.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #10299
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Here's the list of avoidances.

Which is nothing like the custom avoids on the older GPSMAP x7x units where you can actually avoid certain parts of or all of a road
example: from my house I can enter go to Colorado Springs and have autorouting calc the route then I can go in and set a custom avoid for I25 between exits 190 and 230 and it will recalc the route avoiding that stretch of interstate which is something I use often and the Montana cannot do.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #10300
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Which is nothing like the custom avoids on the older GPSMAP x7x units where you can actually avoid certain parts of or all of a road
example: from my house I can enter go to Colorado Springs and have autorouting calc the route then I can go in and set a custom avoid for I25 between exits 190 and 230 and it will recalc the route avoiding that stretch of interstate which is something I use often and the Montana cannot do.
And even some fancy 8 year old devices could prefer road types. So you would not get directed to 50 miles of detour just to avoid 1/4 mile of freeway.

There should be something between avoid and allow.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 AM   #10301
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
The Montana leaves a lot to be desired as a routing GPS. Unfortunately Garmin appears to have decided to narrow the focus of many of their lines so that the consumers will be more inclined to buy multiple units to accomplish different tasks. At the end of the day, the Montana is a HIKING GPS chock full of features dedicated to HIKING. The new ZUMO's have all those routing capabilities that the old GPSMAP chart plotters had, but then they suck when it comes to something simple as tracks. The fact that the older units used to be capable of so much more is proof that they could continue to build units that would have all the features we want, but they choose not to. I think it's pretty obvious why.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #10302
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 674
What I don't understand is why some features are removed from newer models. Most everyone here moved "up" to the Montana from an older unit, in my case a SP2720. I should be able to operate the new model based on my knowledge of the old model with regards to routing, searching, etc. The SP didn't do tracks so I knew I had a learning curve there but having to re-learn how to route seems a little silly.

If anything the newer models should improve on the shortcomings of the older models, not the other way around. I would assume that the Montana has better and faster electronics inside so why remove features that the older units had.

Maybe someone will come up with an alacarte type of GPS. You pick the form of the physical housing then pick and choose the software you want depending on the use you have. These apps / profiles would be universal across all platforms so any updates would work on any unit. You could then option your GPS to whatever price point you want.

But I am pretty ignorant of how these things work so my idea may be impossible...
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #10303
True North
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
My Montana says it loses external power when in my amp rugged mount? The mount is on my snowmobile and does shake a bit but the Montana works fine on Battery. Any idea why it loses external power? I replaced the rugged mount but that didn't help.
Problem solved! Turns out there is no issue with the Montana or the mount. I am using it on a 2009 Arctic Cat snowmobile. The sled does not have dc power, only ac. The Montana works fine at idle but when riding it must not like the ac power going up and down. I fed the amp rugged mount with an external battery and it works fine. I'm going to create some regulated dc power on the sled and think that will work. Thanks for your input guys.
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #10304
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Problem solved! Turns out there is no issue with the Montana or the mount. I am using it on a 2009 Arctic Cat snowmobile. The sled does not have dc power, only ac. The Montana works fine at idle but when riding it must not like the ac power going up and down. I fed the amp rugged mount with an external battery and it works fine. I'm going to create some regulated dc power on the sled and think that will work. Thanks for your input guys.
Just review the electrical diagrams first. Some bikes that are 100% AC also use the frame as one side of the AC. Putting the DC ground onto the same AC circuit can do strange things. My 2000 Husky 620 was an example. After the bridge rectifier/regulator, I needed to run both positive and negative wires for the DC circuit.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #10305
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The Montana leaves a lot to be desired as a routing GPS.
I nominate Albie for the understatement of the week! As far as routing it's a huge step backwards I can't swallow and definitely one if the greatest reasons I have big time buyer's remorse on this unit.

Quote:
Unfortunately Garmin appears to have decided to narrow the focus of many of their lines so that the consumers will be more inclined to buy multiple units to accomplish different tasks. At the end of the day, the Montana is a HIKING GPS chock full of features dedicated to HIKING.
And it's too big and way to power hungry to be even a halfway decent hiking unit. Let alone the positioning accuracy being worse than those older units those of us that have been in the game for a while are used to and is important to most user's that are on foot.

They market it as "Montana is designed for use on ATVs, in boats, as a handheld or in your car." Pfffffft. It may be designed for all those things.....poorly.

Quote:
The new ZUMO's have all those routing capabilities that the old GPSMAP chart plotters had, but then they suck when it comes to something simple as tracks. The fact that the older units used to be capable of so much more is proof that they could continue to build units that would have all the features we want, but they choose not to. I think it's pretty obvious why.
I don't think they're conspiring to get us to buy more units. I think they're just stupid.

It seems to me if they want to succeed in a market that is getting quickly and seriously crowded out by phones/tablets, they would do the things that set them apart from those devices exceptionally well and develop a loyal following. Right now it seems like the following is like the Winblows "following" circa 2000 - "what other choice do we have?" That is likely going to doom them in the long run unless they wake up. Or have they made their coin and simply don't give a rat's behind anymore?
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote