ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #91
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
I finally got that manual, like you say above there are lots of things covered in the YouTube videos that are not even hinted at in the Manual. And this seems to be very typical of Garmin documentation.

BTW: it was an expired security cert that I was very reluctant to accept that kept me away from the link to the manual.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #92
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Yeah, go figure, FCC gov site and the Cert has expired.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #93
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Automatic Route Recalculation

I posed a question to GPS City about whether one could turn off the auto-recalculation feature. Their answer was that it did not appear that it could be turned off, but then they got a little confusing -- asking how I would use the unit and suggesting that I could just ignore the prompts. Obviously if it prompts the user before recalculating a route while navigating -- and giving the user the option of ignoring those prompts (and not-recalculating the route) -- that would not be an issue. I've asked them to clarify their answer.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #94
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Just received an email from GPSCity (Jordan) - Marco you will most likely get similar.

No Recalc (Auto, Prompted, Off) options - which means that the unit will recalculate when you are off course at some point. But, he also noted that the Montana they have is a pre-release unit and the software is obviously not at production levels - do to missing pages behind options.

I think we're in a waiting game until the end of June and someone here gets their mitts on one and gives it a real shakedown for us.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #95
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
As of right now the Montana does not allow you to turn off and on recalculation of the route you are on. The only option in that setting is to be prompted of the calculation method you would like to use (faster time/shortest distance) when you start a new route.

We are hoping they will add this in a future update, as the firmware we have on the Montana may not be complete and when the unit starts shipping they probably will make some changes to it by then.
This is the message they sent to me.

I am like others here, just need to wait and see what the production firmware is like.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #96
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 964
Finally a dual purpose GPS!!

I'm looking at getting the 600.....I don't need the camera and I'll pick up maps later.

What's the lowest price so far for the 600?
Pcfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #97
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
This is the first GPS I've seen that will lure me away from my trusty Oregon. I'm good with my existing unit for now, but over the winter I may have to pick up a Montana. Looks like the basic feature set is almost identical to the Oregon, but the larger, brighter screen (and seemingly much faster processor) will be nice.

I noticed in one of GPSCity's videos that the Montana has a motorcycle routing mode. I wonder what the difference is between that and the automotive routing mode.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #98
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I wonder what the difference is between that and the automotive routing mode.

--mark
It routes you down twistier roads.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #99
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
...I noticed in one of GPSCity's videos that the Montana has a motorcycle routing mode. I wonder what the difference is between that and the automotive routing mode.

--mark
Was it a routing mode, or just a profile? I think I saw Motorcycle as one of the choices for Profile, which presumably just puts different icons on the opening screen, or different items on the dashboard etc.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #100
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Unfortunately for us, Garmin is using these terms as both a Profile for calculation settings AND a calculation method.

On the GPSCity video for Routing Setup, they only show Direct Routing and it's options. I have asked them to create an Auto Routing video that will use Motorcycle as the routing method. Then we can see what options there are to this which should indicate whether Motorcycle is a method or a Profile - or both .

Even after this info we will not know what the various method's do to a route calculation. Garmin will need to tell us that and they have not been forthcoming to date.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #101
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Unfortunately for us, Garmin is using these terms as both a Profile for calculation settings AND a calculation method.

On the GPSCity video for Routing Setup, they only show Direct Routing and it's options. I have asked them to create an Auto Routing video that will use Motorcycle as the routing method. Then we can see what options there are to this which should indicate whether Motorcycle is a method or a Profile - or both .

Even after this info we will not know what the various method's do to a route calculation. Garmin will need to tell us that and they have not been forthcoming to date.
One would hope that they will be consistent with the Profile options in the BaseCamp Beta which allow you to set up how you would like the route calcs to be done. That was one of the things they cleaned up.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #102
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
It routes you down twistier roads.
And...it routes you into traffic so you can lane split.
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #103
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Gee all my offroading finally beat the crap out of my 60csx this past weekend. What will I get next???

I sure hope this unit can handle all the bashing around.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #104
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
One would hope that they will be consistent with the Profile options in the BaseCamp Beta which allow you to set up how you would like the route calcs to be done. That was one of the things they cleaned up.
Profile Options are all well and good. And, having the same NAME for them between Garmin products would be. . .unique. But, what I was implying is that even if the GPS Software and BaseCamp have the same Profile Names/Activities we, as customers, do not know what to expect from these profiles+options unless Garmin development tell us what to expect when we create a Route using the available parameters. There are a number of "hidden" variables that only the algorithm developer knows and it is left up to us customers to figure out (reverse engineer as it were).

A simple paragraph on each of the Profile Activities and it's associated options describing the expected outcome would be much appreciated. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #105
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
According to a Garmin representative, Montana is (among other things) aimed to be the successor for 278/478 that we all have been waiting for.

It will be highly customizable for offroad/adventure motorcycle/atv use (not like nuvi/zumo), though it will probably not have the fantastically bright and clear screen the 278/478 has since it uses a touchscreen.

All the offroad/adventure features may not be implemented on the launch in June, but there working on it.

Lets hope they do it right this time...
I agree.

There. I've said it: It looks like Garmin finally is making a GPS that I'd want to replace my 478 with.

Whew!