ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #10681
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Why is there some spam in the quote that wasn't in the original post?
Good question. Either put there deliberately, or someone's got a virus of some kind.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #10682
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,374
Gonna give this a try, even though you guys may not be able to help.

I've had a 376C for years, with City Nav NT 2009 unlocked and loaded. It's been a great GPS.

Last year I bought City Nav NT DVD 2013. It is "unlocked" according to the Map Product Manager which is found within BaseCamp. BC is up to date, everything seems up to date.

Now, I just bought a Montana 600 with my REI dividend and gift card. Yippee.

But, I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can load the CN NT 2013 on to the Montana. There does not seem to be any way to make it show up so that I can load its maps on to the Montana 600.

Do I need to buy a Micro SD card for another $80 to use this thing? The plan was for the Montana to replace the 376C for rides this spring, summer. I just can't figger out how to load maps from the DVD to the Montana, via BaseCamp (windoz PC).

Any tips?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #10683
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
Gonna give this a try, even though you guys may not be able to help.

I've had a 376C for years, with City Nav NT 2009 unlocked and loaded. It's been a great GPS.

Last year I bought City Nav NT DVD 2013. It is "unlocked" according to the Map Product Manager which is found within BaseCamp. BC is up to date, everything seems up to date.

Now, I just bought a Montana 600 with my REI dividend and gift card. Yippee.

But, I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can load the CN NT 2013 on to the Montana. There does not seem to be any way to make it show up so that I can load its maps on to the Montana 600.

Do I need to buy a Micro SD card for another $80 to use this thing? The plan was for the Montana to replace the 376C for rides this spring, summer. I just can't figger out how to load maps from the DVD to the Montana, via BaseCamp (windoz PC).

Any tips?
The map can only be "unlocked" to one gps, so it sounds like you will have to get another copy/licence for the Montana if you have it associated with the 376.

And MapInstall will be what you use to load maps to the Montana unless you buy the Micro SD version, which is not locked to the gps, but is locked to that SD card.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #10684
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The map can only be "unlocked" to one gps, so it sounds like you will have to get another copy/licence for the Montana if you have it associated with the 376.

And MapInstall will be what you use to load maps to the Montana unless you buy the Micro SD version, which is not locked to the gps, but is locked to that SD card.
Thanks M.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #10685
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Took the Garmin Plunge

I found a factory refurbished Garmin Montana 600 for $369 on GPS Nation. The price includes the original 1 year factory warranty and an additional warranty for another year, but no maps or mount accessories. So, I also bought the RAM and Rugged Mounts, along with a City Navigator North America DVD from GPS City using the inmate discount and it came to $133. All told, it was about $502.

I could've gotten a new Montana 600 bundle (with all of the components I mention above), but only a one-year warranty from GPS City for about $550 (including the inmate $50 off discount). I went back and forth on the decision, since it was only a $48 difference. The two-year warranty on the refurbed unit was the tipping point for me, though. I like having the extra warranty.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #10686
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Good deal. GPSNation is an authorized Garmin dealer so you can't lose there.

Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #10687
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl63 View Post
I found a factory refurbished Garmin Montana 600 for $369 on GPS Nation. The price includes the original 1 year factory warranty and an additional warranty for another year, but no maps or mount accessories. So, I also bought the RAM and Rugged Mounts, along with a City Navigator North America DVD from GPS City using the inmate discount and it came to $133. All told, it was about $502.

I could've gotten a new Montana 600 bundle (with all of the components I mention above), but only a one-year warranty from GPS City for about $550 (including the inmate $50 off discount). I went back and forth on the decision, since it was only a $48 difference. The two-year warranty on the refurbed unit was the tipping point for me, though. I like having the extra warranty.
I think the two year warranty is a good idea. Myself and riding friends have had 6 Montana's all fail about a year into service. Just got the second one of mine returned after paying $189 for it to be repaired. Dirt biking has killed all of ours.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #10688
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I think the two year warranty is a good idea. Myself and riding friends have had 6 Montana's all fail about a year into service. Just got the second one of mine returned after paying $189 for it to be repaired. Dirt biking has killed all of ours.
One can break anything but just curious as to what fails most often on them--aside from sudden impacts.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #10689
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
The six I mentioned have been malfunctioning with touchscreens that don't respond reliably, process commands inconsistently, and also screens going blank due to the sun/heat. The hot screens can be brought back with a few mouthfuls of water from our Camelbak. but then 5 minutes later go blank again.

I did not include in my sample size the one destroyed by his helmet smashing it. That's not a Garmin issue. Also two rugged mounts have been snapped in two but again due to crashes. Neither are product design issues unlike the issues listed in the first paragraph.

Everyone I ride with loves the Montana when it works but curses the reliability. Keep in mind I've also killed 3 60 CSX's ( All my riding is DS and dirt biking) but those seemed to be suffer more from circuit board failures than the screen issue's we're finding on the Montana.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #10690
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Looks like v. 5.9 is out.

I caved and updated to 5.7 a couple of weeks ago. All day today I would lose Satellite reception whenever moving. If I left the Montana on while stopped (i.e., lunch), it would eventually reacquire, but lose them again as soon as I started moving.

Anyway, I just noticed when I plugged it in, so thought I'd share. Going to update and then factory reset.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #10691
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I hope for your sake that the internal antenna hasn't broken off the circuit board.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #10692
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
I tried it on the deck after the firmware update. It seems to have seen and picked up a bunch of satellites pretty quick, so I'm hopeful. Earlier, it was only seeing a couple of satellites at a time, and would take forever to lock. So, I'm hopeful, but won't be able to try it on the bike for a couple of days.

Is the antenna coming off the board a thing? I don't think I've seen mention of that as a common problem.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #10693
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Is the antenna coming off the board a thing? I don't think I've seen mention of that as a common problem.
It happened to my wife's 650, and Hodakaguy created a thread on how to "harden" the gps, just in case. The odds of it happening are low, but it's a possibility. If yours is broken, and you have an external antenna kicking around, you can plug that in and the gps will work just fine. Maybe even better than stock.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #10694
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl63 View Post

Thanks for the tip! I'm waffling between the GPSCity package , purchase from REI using dividend, and now this. An extra year warranty is pretty appealing with electronic gadgetry..
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #10695
PhoenixGirl63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
My pleasure, mtncrawler. I like the extra bit of insurance, too.
PhoenixGirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote