ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #10741
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Thanks Timmer and TowPro.

(I really would like a profile prompt whenever I hit ANY of the routing functions -- gas, food, where-to, etc.)
I think when you setup a shortcut for GAs or Fuel, there might be an option to switch to 1 profile of your choice.
If I need gas, and ADV tells me 25 miles, but CAR tells me its 2 miles down the highway, I want to take the highway.

Also, be sure to create the same profile names (with same avoidance) in Base Camp and use the correct profile for the route your making. Example, if you do a route on Base camp using Car profile, than run that route as ADV on the GPS, its going to change.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #10742
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
For my riding in the Pacific NWet, I've found that the motorcycling profile gives some pretty creative routings; but for the most part for my types of riding, the automobile profile works best even for my off pavement riding.

As I have mentioned before, if you create a route in BC and want to edit it on the Montana, it MUST be saved in the DIRECT profile. Once it's in the Montana, it will be recalculated using the current profile that the Montana is set for. That's where saving the route as a track in BC and transferring that as well to the Montana will give you a helpful reality check. Please also note that you can modify any of the profiles. For example from time to time, I'll turn on/off the Avoid toll roads
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #10743
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,545
I don't have BaseCamp. Don't expect that I will. Your advice on how to use it may help someone else though.

I don't usually go out with the idea that I must go here and here and here and there. I go. Sometimes I want help which the Montana is (mostly) able to provide*. I just want to get that help more easily.

*I sometimes would like to use faster roads to bypass or cut through cities then get back on smaller roads in the countryside. This usually happens when I'm a few states away so I don't know in advance which cities I'll need to bypass.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #10744
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Now that you described how you ride, do you have a question?
TowPro and Timmer have answered them. But thank you.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #10745
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I think when you setup a shortcut for GAs or Fuel, there might be an option to switch to 1 profile of your choice.
You said "might". I sure can't find it when editing the Main Menu.

I may look more at Profiles tomorrow to see what I find. Just as you expect "Fuel" to be a shortcut, it's not. Shortcuts seem to be Home, Stop Nav, Track Log On, and Track Log Off. So the way you or I organize our tasks and options is probably different from the way the Garmin folk organized them.

That's not a question either -- although I welcome help in setting up the "where tos" and profiles.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #10746
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
You said "might". I sure can't find it when editing the Main Menu.

I may look more at Profiles tomorrow to see what I find. Just as you expect "Fuel" to be a shortcut, it's not. Shortcuts seem to be Home, Stop Nav, Track Log On, and Track Log Off. So the way you or I organize our tasks and options is probably different from the way the Garmin folk organized them.

That's not a question either -- although I welcome help in setting up the "where tos" and profiles.

The WhereTo?-Fuel is not a Shortcut. It is an App that can be added to a main menu page or the Drawer. Just go to Settings->Main Menu->and Add an App. Then select WhereTo? And choose the WhereTo search you are interested in; like Fuel.

What TowPro was referring to regarding Shortcuts is that when you create a Shortcut one of the parameters you can add is a Profile to load.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #10747
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
@grinnin
I recommend downloading some user profiles from the Dropbox created for this thread. I use a modified version of DRTBYK's profile which already has GAS and FOOD shortcuts created.

I also recommend installing Basecamp. I use google maps to create my routes but use Basecamp for all my archiving, organization of routes and when transferring info to and from the unit.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #10748
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I recommend downloading some user profiles from the Dropbox created for this thread. I use a modified version of DRTBYK's profile which already has GAS and FOOD shortcuts created.
So these profiles have GAS and FOOD shortcuts that prompt for which profile to use for the routing or what set of navigation avoidances to use?

I'm looking for a way to be prompted for avoidances or profiles. One time when I use "Where to" I may want only backroads. The next time I use "Where to" I may want freeways. The next only backroads again. These may all be in a single day or on different weeks.

I'm not looking for gas along a pre-planned route. I'm out somewhere and decide to ride somewhere else and ask the Montana for routing.

I suspect that for me routing will always have additional steps -- select a profile then select a destination. Often, though, the profile is already correct and I didn't need to check. Usually I don't find out I have the wrong avoidances until the GPS is bypassing what looks like a good route.

I thought there might be a way to streamline the process.

Thanks.

Grinnin screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 04:41 AM
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 AM   #10749
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
You'll need to create duplicate profiles and tweak each for what you want. The gas and food shortcuts will create a list with mileage and a small arrow showing the general direction from current location. The only prompt Garmin gives is for your credit card number.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 AM   #10750
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
You'll need to create duplicate profiles and tweak each for what you want. The gas and food shortcuts will create a list with mileage and a small arrow showing the general direction from current location. The only prompt Garmin gives is for your credit card number.
I have the Gas and Food "where to" buttons on the main menu of the profile I use most and another I use occasionally. They work fine as Garmin set them up and it is easy to add them to a profile (unless I'm missing a way to add a prompt into their flow).

The discussion about profiles came from asking if profiles can help me switch avoidances quickly. It's avoidances that occasionally trip me.

The nuvi has a prompt whenever I use "where to" asking if I want Quickest or Shortest. The Montana has 3 settings for route recalculation: Always, Never, Prompt. It will prompt before recalculating. This is not as close to what I want as the nuvi, but still an example of the workflow I'm looking for.

So Garmin does provide prompts after selecting a destination.

EDIT: Wait, wait. I see that I can create a shortcut on one profile that switches to another profile. This could be it if I'm willing to have some shortcuts on the main menu for the slow way and some shortcuts on the main menu for the faster way.

I had seen the list of shortcuts and didn't realize that I could add a shortcut to include what Garmin calls a "where to". Terminology again.

And Thanks again but more enthusiastically this time.

Grinnin screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 05:41 AM
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #10751
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,267
The Montana also has the 'Shortest Route/Fastest Time" option.

Re: Profiles - I created this post in the Wisdom and FAQ thread about how I use profiles.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 05:42 AM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #10752
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The Montana also has the 'Shortest Route/Fastest Time" option.

Re: Profiles - I created this post in the Wisdom and FAQ thread about how I use profiles.
Thanks for that explanation which includes creating shortcuts as well as your use of profiles in shortcuts. It's what TowPro was trying to tell me that I wasn't getting.

The option for "shortest route" has led me too often to 8 or 10 stop signs instead of riding an extra block of distance. Nice theory but around here it's a trap.

Another feature that doesn't work around here is the "Where to" for Cities. The farthest city on the last screen is often 10 to 11 miles away because every "Grimsley's Corners" was a villiage in the 1700s and still listed on maps. I have used Cities successfully in the mid-west and west as a way to say "lead me that direction in general" although I may not follow it all the way to the selected town.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #10753
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
When all else fails ask ADV....

I created a route in BaseCamp by creating a starting waypoint and ending waypoint, and letting BaseCamp chose the roads to connect the points. Then I drug things around to my liking...more 2 lane vs Interstate, etc.

When I transfer the route I created to my Montana 600, the route is shown in Direct Routing, even if I go into Setup/Routing and chose Motorcycle instead of Direct Routing in the Montana.

Garmin MapInstaller told me I couldn't fit City Navigator plus SW Topo Maps on a 16GB microSD card...??? I'm not sure how big the TopoMap file is, but I thought a 16 GB card would surely handle it.

Any thoughts?

NDTransplant screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 08:40 AM
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #10754
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
When all else fails ask ADV....

I created a route in BaseCamp by creating a starting waypoint and ending waypoint, and letting BaseCamp chose the roads to connect the points. Then I drug things around to my liking...more 2 lane vs Interstate, etc.

When I transfer the route I created to my Montana 600, the route is shown in Direct Routing, even if I go into Setup/Routing and chose Motorcycle instead of Direct Routing in the Montana.

Garmin MapInstaller told me I couldn't fit City Navigator plus SW Topo Maps on a 16GB microSD card...??? I'm not sure how big the TopoMap file is, but I thought a 16 GB card would surely handle it.

Any thoughts?
And what do you do when asking ADV fails?

The Routing problem: Check to make sure you have a map with Auto-Routing info in it, and that the map is enabled.

The mapping issue is not that you don't have the physical space on the card - it's likely that you have too many sectors.

See here for more info: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces....orage Capacity

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 02:04 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #10755
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Interesting experience with my 650T yesterday. Took a street ride up to a friend's house and back, of about 140 miles total. Running 5.90. Used the same AMPS mount held by RAM parts on the handlebar as I always have. Had 24K northeast topo enabled and simply let it be a rolling map; I was not following a route or track. On the way there, it worked fine. On the way home, it changed to a blank white screen with my little triangle position marker and magenta lines like a track, but straight, unlike those created when following a road. I zoomed in and out, powered down, powered up, enabled CN maps, disabled them (to get back to topo) etc., and it would show the normal view of the map for a moment then switch to the same white screen as described above. The compass screen seemed to function normally, showing speed and direction.

I performed a master reset when I got home. Have not tried it on a vehicle yet, so don't if that helped or not.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote