ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #10741
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Emmbeedee i knew youd come to my rescue......

I am using CN 2013.3....

Would making my route with tracks work better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Routable maps?
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #10742
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
I am using CN 2013.3....

Would making my route with tracks work better?
You can use both formats - convert your route to a track in Basecamp, and on the gps, set the track to Visible on the screen.

Is the map enabled on the gps?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #10743
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can use both formats - convert your route to a track in Basecamp, and on the gps, set the track to Visible on the screen.

Is the map enabled on the gps?
yes I have the CN enabled on the gps.

Its not that long of a route so ill try to remake it using tracks and dl it into the gps and see if that works better.

BTW as always Thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #10744
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Have you tried, setup>routing>activity> pick automobile or motorcycle not direct routing.

Think you wrote that you did this but make sure lol.

Hope it helps
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #10745
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
I've observed two issues with respect to routes created in BC and transferred to the Montana:

1. If you want to be able to edit the route on the Montana after transferring it from BC, it must be saved in BC as a DIRECT route (i.e. straight lines). Once the route is transferred to the Montana, one opens the route in the WHERE TO menu, and then presses GO. The route is then calculated and is ready for use.

2. If you don't want to edit the route on the Montana, create and save the route in the type of profile you normally use (I find that the AUTOMOBILE profile works best for me in most cases). Then after the route is transferred over to the Montana, I simply select it and go. However, I can't edit it which for me is a major shortcoming.

HTH,
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #10746
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

yes tried all three. Thats one of the reasons i got stumped.
thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Have you tried, setup>routing>activity> pick automobile or motorcycle not direct routing.

Think you wrote that you did this but make sure lol.

Hope it helps
Old 04-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #10747
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

thank you Timmer....

I made the route with the automobile profile but when i DL it into the gps it recalcuates it and then its not the roads that i want to take. I made sure the profiles were the same in BC and the GPS. still no go.
Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I've observed two issues with respect to routes
created in BC and transferred to the Montana:

1. If you want to be able to edit the route on the Montana after transferring it from BC, it must be saved in BC as a DIRECT route (i.e. straight lines). Once the route is transferred to the Montana, one opens the route in the WHERE TO menu, and then presses GO. The route is then calculated and is ready for use.

2. If you don't want to edit the route on the Montana, create and save the route in the type of profile you normally use (I find that the AUTOMOBILE profile works best for me in most cases). Then after the route is transferred over to the Montana, I simply select it and go. However, I can't edit it which for me is a major shortcoming.

HTH,
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #10748
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks to all that responded, what i ended up doing is I converted my route to a track and it worked. Ill play with routes some more but for now i got something to work with... again thanks to all
Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #10749
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
thank you Timmer....

I made the route with the automobile profile but when i DL it into the gps it recalcuates it and then its not the roads that i want to take. I made sure the profiles were the same in BC and the GPS. still no go.
Thanks for the reply
Make sure the your mapset in BC is the same as in your Montana.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #10750
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Fred,
I only have one map set.... CN 2013. That's in BC and in Montana and it is enabled. I dbl checked that a few times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Make sure the your mapset in BC is the same as in your Montana.

Fred
Old 04-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #10751
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Thanks Fred,
I only have one map set.... CN 2013. That's in BC and in Montana and it is enabled. I dbl checked that a few times..
This is what I mean and it happened to me couple of times just something to be aware of.

If you make routes in CNNA 2014.4 and Montana has CNNA 2014.2 then it wants to recalculate the route and might not use the roads you wanted to go.

I have even had routes that just would not load too.
Got them over to the Montana no problem but when I wanted to navigate that route it would work...some sort of error can't remember.

Because of this thread and this Basecamp thread I usually use Tracks instead of Routes...to me the best way.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #10752
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
I find that if I want my routes to be the same in the gps as in base camp that I must nail it down to specific roads with via (?) points, using that pencil tool to touch each desired road in a couple of spots as I "draw" my route. Generally, I prefer routes because then I can mostly ignore the gps knowing that it will alert me in advance of a turn. I make a track of the route and have them both displayed so I can know if any deviation occurrs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #10753
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,387
Montana Routing Question

I often use GPS to get me out after I'm not-exactly-lost. No computer pre-planning required.

Each time I use routing I may be looking for something different -- i.e. different avoidances. Recently I was on unfamiliar roads and wanted directions to Millinocket. Success. But it was late and I then wanted a direct route to the other side of the Penobscot River and toward home. I knew that a 20 mile section of I-95 would get me to a bridge and on good 2-lane roads. It said it worked, but kept taking me S. instead of E. What?

Avoidances, of course. Each time I use routing I probably want different avoidances.

I have added "Routing" to my Main Menu so with several pokes I can get to the avoidances. But I don't usually know that avoidances are a problem until I use routing and it sends me off chasing geese.

IS THERE A BETTER WAY? Is there a way to add multiple motorcycle profiles to more quickly change to a set of routing features?

Ideally it would be a poke during the process of finding a destination. If I use the map to scroll and zoom to a destination then discover that I have the wrong setup, the point is not saved as a "recent find" unless I also go through the extra steps of marking it then routing to the mark.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #10754
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Montana Routing Question

I often use GPS to get me out after I'm not-exactly-lost. No computer pre-planning required.

Each time I use routing I may be looking for something different -- i.e. different avoidances. Recently I was on unfamiliar roads and wanted directions to Millinocket. Success. But it was late and I then wanted a direct route to the other side of the Penobscot River and toward home. I knew that a 20 mile section of I-95 would get me to a bridge and on good 2-lane roads. It said it worked, but kept taking me S. instead of E. What?

Avoidances, of course. Each time I use routing I probably want different avoidances.

I have added "Routing" to my Main Menu so with several pokes I can get to the avoidances. But I don't usually know that avoidances are a problem until I use routing and it sends me off chasing geese.

IS THERE A BETTER WAY? Is there a way to add multiple motorcycle profiles to more quickly change to a set of routing features?

Ideally it would be a poke during the process of finding a destination. If I use the map to scroll and zoom to a destination then discover that I have the wrong setup, the point is not saved as a "recent find" unless I also go through the extra steps of marking it then routing to the mark.

Anyone?

Thanks.
I've found that for the best set of direct routing, the automobile profile works for me. Alternatively, you can create a new motorcycling preference in EDIT/OPTIONS/ACTIVITY PROFILE. Assign that profile with the avoidance choices you want.

But as you've noted, there is no subsitute for local knowledge. Any GPS is just another tool in the toolbox.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #10755
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
thank you Timmer....

Thanks for the reply
Converting the route to a track and then loading BOTH into the Garmin is the only way I know of to absolutely guarantee no changes in the route. If you are intent on riding the the original computer prepared route, follow the track on your GPS and your route will keep recalculating while you are riding. Eventually they will converge.

As someone else noted, the version of CNNT must be the same on your PC as on the Montana. Otherwise, routing issues will be encountered.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100