ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #1066
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
...it seems it would/should have Bluetooth.
That's a slippery slope. Where would you stop? If it has BT, maybe it should have a media player? Audiobooks? Next thing you know, it's become another feature bloated Zumo.

I like the Montana just the way it is.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #1067
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
In the making and display of digital maps there is a file that defines how things "look" on the screen - including color or roads. It's called a Type file.

Yes, that's normal. BaseCampis using a different TYPE file than MapSource and the GPS is using a different TYPE file than BaseCamp. I don't expect that Garmin has any intention of "standardizing" TYPE files. The manufacturer modifies the TYPE in order to try and enhance the visual quality of the maps on the various displays they make - and all displays are not equal.

If you have an older version of MapSource, the lines were different still - very basic coloring. Because, the GPS's had very basic color displays or were Gray Scale (Black&White).

Don't let it bother you to much. . .there are lots of other things that can do that.

Cheers,
yeap, it's the TYP file, thanks for the answer!
It's just that the color palette of the specific map I have, looks good in mapsource but then looks a bit crap in Montana...
I've found an online TYP editor but I don't feel like experimenting with it now... Whatever, I leave it as it is.

cheers

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #1068
JMR
ridgerunner

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
... Yes, the Audio Out jack is accessible when in the AMPS Rugged Mount. But, with a cable plugged in you are no longer waterproof. ...
Do you mean plugging the audio cable directly into the Montana?

With the rugged mount, there is an audio cable with a standard female jack receptacle coming out of the mount (along side the power supply and serial interface wires). Seems to me that this could easily be made waterproof.

In other words, with the rugged mount you don't need to plug directly into the Montana unit itself to get audio.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #1069
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Do you mean plugging the audio cable directly into the Montana?

With the rugged mount, there is an audio cable with a standard female jack receptacle coming out of the mount (along side the power supply and serial interface wires). Seems to me that this could easily be made waterproof.

In other words, with the rugged mount you don't need to plug directly into the Montana unit itself to get audio.
JMR, you are of course correct. I was multi-tasking when I wrote that. That will teach me - well, at least for the next hour or so. And, yes, a Bluetooth dongle can easily be added to the Mount cable and stowed out of the weather.

Probably the reason I don't think about the cable is because I cut mine all down to the shortest length I need when I install them on the bike's (don't need Serial Out and Audio Out).

Thanks for catching.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #1070
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Probably the reason I don't think about the cable is because I cut mine all down to the shortest length I need when I install them on the bike's (don't need Serial Out and Audio Out).,
I cut the power/serial portion down short but left the speaker part long and just coiled it around the base of the RAM mount, using nylon ties to hold it in place. That way it's ready to use anytime.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #1071
JMR
ridgerunner

Oddometer: 44
So I now have both City Navigator NA (2011) and Topo US 100K (2009) installed on my PC. The Topo DVD installed an old version of Basecamp and MapInstaller. The City Navigator DVD installed MapSource and a newer version of MapInstaller. Both map sets show up in both MapSource and MapInstaller. Using either of these two programs I can successfully select a combination of maps from each of the two map sets and download to the Montana. But the data from both map sets are combined into one IMG file on the Montana. When I go to the Select Map setup page to enable/disable the map set on the Montana, it shows only one map set with a (seemingly random) name taken from one of the maps in one of the map sets.

I did read this thread all the way through and sort of remember someone explaining how to get multiple map sets into the Garmin unit, (multiple IMG files), in such a way that each map set may be independently enabled and disabled (and given a better human readable name).

Can someone shed some light on how to best manage multiple map sets on the Montana? (Note that I do not yet have a MicroSD card.)

And once multiple maps are installed and enabled, how do you control which one shows up on top?

Thanks in advance for any help!
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #1072
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Can someone shed some light on how to best manage multiple map sets on the Montana? (Note that I do not yet have a MicroSD card.)

And once multiple maps are installed and enabled, how do you control which one shows up on top?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Select all the maps you want from one map product, send that to the gps and it will end up in a file called gmapsupp.img. Using the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer, rename gmapsupp.img to CN-NA.img or something similar if it's the City Navigator product, or Topo.img if it's the other.

Then go to the second map product and download the tiles you want for that product, then go and rename that file appropriately.

Once these are on the gps or MicroSD card, you just go to Setup/Maps and choose which products you want enabled.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #1073
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,567
If you Enable multiple map sets at the same time, CNNA will always have on screen/map priority. There isn't much advantage of having multiple sets Enabled simultaneously. It will slow down the map redraw.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #1074
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
If you Enable multiple map sets at the same time, CNNA will always have on screen/map priority. There isn't much advantage of having multiple sets Enabled simultaneously. It will slow down the map redraw.

Cheers,
It looks to me like GMapTool would allow you to set the map draw priority.

And even the Typ in the img. Is this what you guys were talking about earlier today, and which controls the colours in the map lines?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 04:15 PM
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #1075
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

On another forum somebody pointed out that when you run the latest WebUpdater you are given the option of adding 'Help' files which become context sensitive in the various setup screens. Haven't tried this yet myself, but maybe it'll help demystify the Montana for some.

Sure enough, I just woke up my computer and plugged the Montana into it, ran WebUpdater and it said I had the latest software, but in the additional downloads section was a Montana Help Files option. I chose it, and now see help in various areas.

I also see an option called 'Off Route Recalculation' in Setup/Routing, and it offers in the 'Selelct (sic) Off Route Calculation', Prompted, Automatic or Off!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 07:35 PM
Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #1076
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I just went through the pay-for-while-in-transit swap for cal issues too. It took a few days to see the credit on my card account, but it wasn't lost. Also had to redo the birdseye subscription with the new serial, that took 5 minutes once I got a live person. You won't have to get the maps from the internet server again, but will have to transfer them to the unit from basecamp (assuming they're still on your PC). Once Garmin puts the new Montana serial on the server, just connect up the new Montana and initiate a download to the GPS. Basecamp will check authorization, then you're good to go after they transfer.

I have yet to put another clear screen saver down thinking it might have something to do with calibration issues (probably not), but I too had some scratches I don't want to reappear.

Good luck!
waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #1077
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 627
Saving Archived Tracks

Is there a way to do this? I was using Mapsource and noticed that all that was imported was the active track. The unit evidently auto archives tracks that are over a day or two old. Funny thing is, it archived part of a track and the rest were current all on the same day. Maybe Basecamp can do this but Mapsource doesn't seem to.

Day13 screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 08:03 PM Reason: Wrong wording
Day13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #1078
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
Is there a way to do this? I was using Mapsource and noticed that all that was imported was the active track. The unit evidently auto archives tracks that are over a day or two old. Funny thing is, it archived part of a track and the rest were current all on the same day. Maybe Basecamp can do this but Mapsource doesn't seem to.
I don't have archived tracks right now to confirm, but I believe You can just grab them already in gpx format from the \garmin\gpx directory when the Montana is attached to a PC then import them into MapSource with the file menu.

BaseCamp will expose all the data on the GPS when you plug it in. If you have a Montana, you're going to have to start using BaseCamp since MapSource doesn't download everything (as you just found out).
waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #1079
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
about saving archived tracks, this is taken from garmin blogs, and even though it refers toColorado, Oregon, and Dakota, I guess it's the same for Montana :
"... When your tracklog is nearly full, the oldest activities are automatically archived in a GPX file, making room for new points to be recorded. The archived activities can be retrieved from the \Garmin\GPX\Archive\ folder in mass storage mode. Tracks added to the archive folder exist in addition to the 200 saved tracks allowed on the device."

"Another enhancement for these devices is the ability to view archived tracks on the device. If archived tracks are on the unit, an “Archived Tracks” option will appear in the Track Manager. From this selection, you can select an archived track and make it a favorite. Making an archived track a favorite adds it to your list of saved tracks, allowing it to be reviewed and navigated. Favorite saved tracks can also be moved to the archive at any time, allowing only the most relevant tracks to appear in the saved track list."

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupda...archiving.html

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #1080
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
The unit evidently auto archives tracks that are over a day or two old.
This is a setting you can change in the gps itself. Tracking on the Montana (and Oregon, Colorado, 62/78) is configured in Setup/Tracks/Auto Archive where you can set it to archive Daily, Weekly or When Full.