ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #1111
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Bug Report:

Sending Proximity Alerts for Waypoints from BaseCamp to the Montana doesn't work. Montana Team says there's a BaseCamp fix that's in the works. So, make sure you set you Prox-alerts on the Montana if you rely upon them until the BC Fix.

Turns out BaseCamp currently only supports the "old" GPX Extension syntax and not the "new". A future BaseCamp will "adjust" it's output's based on the GPS attached - Old or New.

The times they are a changin' . . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 08:49 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #1112
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
My Plan...

OK, here's my plan:

Yes, when I have a specific ride coming up, sometimes I will make a route of the complete ride, convert it to a track, delete the route and use it for that ride. After the ride, I will remove it from my Montana and I'll have it on Basecamp if I need it again. I can modify it on BC if needed.

But here in the Ozark mts where most of my riding is, we basically ride valley to valley, or sometimes highway to highway, via back roads or NF roads.

So, in BC, I've started a Library of "Ozark Shortcuts" or tracks that connect highways or valleys. I make thes with the route tool, convert to a track, delete the route, then move to my Montana, where I pull them up, or Show on Map as needed.

I'm continuelly adding to it.

So, works for me, but is it a good plan?? What could I do to make it work better?? How do archives work??

Impute welcome, or what works for you.....
Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #1113
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
PC or Mac?

You could do a lot worse than to ask in the Garmin forums. There seem to be some power users there describing how to use BaseCamp effectively.

You might even recognize some names...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #1114
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
OK, here's my plan:

Yes, when I have a specific ride coming up, sometimes I will make a route of the complete ride, convert it to a track, delete the route and use it for that ride. After the ride, I will remove it from my Montana and I'll have it on Basecamp if I need it again. I can modify it on BC if needed.

But here in the Ozark mts where most of my riding is, we basically ride valley to valley, or sometimes highway to highway, via back roads or NF roads.

So, in BC, I've started a Library of "Ozark Shortcuts" or tracks that connect highways or valleys. I make thes with the route tool, convert to a track, delete the route, then move to my Montana, where I pull them up, or Show on Map as needed.

I'm continuelly adding to it.

So, works for me, but is it a good plan?? What could I do to make it work better?? How do archives work??

I have a very similar process. The issue for me is not BaseCamp, it's the Montana and the unpredictable nature of "On Road Routing" for the various Activity types.

I do trip planning in BC-Mac using Routing when appropriate. I shape my routes appropriately and then I press the "Create Track from Route" button. This gives me a very high point count Track. I save both the Route and Track in a BC List for that trip. I transfer the Track only to the Montana along with any waypoints that I might want/need. Sometimes when I'm in route I will use Routing on the Montana but I always have the Track visible on the map so I can see how the Route deviates from my intended course.

I set Proximity Alarms on the waypoints I use since they are not "part of the Track". Unfortunately, right now BC does not send the proper Proximity GPX syntax to the Montana so you have to set them on the Montana manually. I use Prox-Alarms so that when I'm navigating a Track, I'll get on-screen alerts that a Waypoint of interest is approaching.

If Waypoints could be "included" in a Track and announced on the Montana when navigating the Track that would be awesome. I have used Photo's to do this but it would be very cool to be able to turn a Track Point into a Waypoint embedded in the Track (just like with Route's).

At some point we will be able to plan our trips/activities in a BC List and send all of that data to the Montana where it will remain as a grouping (Adventure). This will be very handy in my view.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #1115
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Tks DRTBKR
At least I'm headed in the right direction. BTW, I'm using a PC.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #1116
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Any time.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #1117
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
My process is a little different. I'm pretty dependent on the Magenta Line (active route) to take me where I want to go on longer outings. I plan routes in BC using plenty of nodes and use shortest distance for calculation. This is all in a hope that the lines will match. I also do the make track from route and compare the outcomes on screen. I find if I rely on tracks only, I miss turns more often. I still miss maybe 20% just because I'm usually asleep at the wheel following terrain rather than the GPS.

For rides in familiar places, singletrack, or just plain old exploring, I display old tracks only as a way of maintaining context on where I went last time, etc. For this type of riding I like using Topo maps zoomed in close. Very different than long distance traveling on unfamiliar ground.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #1118
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Simple. Plug Montana in to the USB port. Using Finder or My Computer, open the \Garmin folder and Copy the \Profiles and \Filters folders to a location on your computer that you can remember - like \Montana.

This will take care of the very basics.

Cheers,
So then, if you accidently wipe out your Montana, or have to get another new one, you then drag the profile and filter folder back over to that location on the new/wiped Montana thats hooked to your computer, right??

Just spent an hour setting my Montana back up the way I want it and dont want to practice restoring it in case I'm wrong.....
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #1119
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

You are correct in your playback. I usually just copy my "personal.gpf" profile's file over to the Profile Folder since Garmin may have updated/changed/added new factory profiles and backgrounds. Same with Filters if you have created any.

If you've created any Shortcuts copy that folder to your computer as well. Everything else (GPX, JPG's) you most likely have in BaseCamp: if not back those folders up also - regularly.

You can also back up your Unlock Code(s) which are the "long-alfanumeric.gma" files, located in the \Garmin folder, for any Locked maps you might have. This is not absolutely necessary since you can recover them online at any time.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #1120
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Just ordered our second Montana tonight for my wife but GPSCity says it won't be available until November 5, when the new batch arrives with the screen issue fixed. My first generation unit hasn't shown any problems, either with the loose battery or screen calibration issues. In fact I have not calibrated the screen even once in the whole time I've owned it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #1121
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

If you have an early serial number I don't recommend using the screen calibration. Mine never had a problem until I ran it - seems others had the same experience.

Happy GPSing.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #1122
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you have an early serial number I don't recommend using the screen calibration. Mine never had a problem until I ran it - seems others had the same experience.

Happy GPSing.

Cheers,
Or maybe it's worth running while it's under warranty so if it does fail you can get an updated unit while it's covered.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #1123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Or maybe it's worth running while it's under warranty so if it does fail you can get an updated unit while it's covered.

Hodakaguy
I'll probably run calibration before warranty runs out, but that's 10 months down the road. And I know Garmin would cover it for this fault even if I went past warranty. They're just that kind of company. They've already covered my Oregon for the USB power connector when it was off warranty.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #1124
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
276c

So glad I have a supply of 276C's that will last me way longer than I will last.
One of them is brand new.

No they are not for sale and I have round the clock security.
Attached Images

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #1125
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
So glad I have a supply of 276C's that will last me way longer than I will last.
I'd be a little depressed myself if I had such a large supply of old technology. It would take that much longer before I could see how much gps technology had improved.

But if you're happy with them that's all that matters.