ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #1141
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
I too am looking forward to the "Adventures" feature. I wonder what is so damn hard about getting it up and running.

Anyhow, I use a shotgun approach to managing content on the Montana. I keep a Current folder in BaseCamp, with all the stuff I want on the Montana for a given period. I just delete the data on the Montana and load a fresh set every time I make a change. The trick is remembering to move data created on the Montana into BaseCamp before doing this.

Ideally, the Montana should sync just like an iPod. Adventures are nothing more than a playlist.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #1142
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
I too am looking forward to the "Adventures" feature. I wonder what is so damn hard about getting it up and running.

Anyhow, I use a shotgun approach to managing content on the Montana. I keep a Current folder in BaseCamp, with all the stuff I want on the Montana for a given period. I just delete the data on the Montana and load a fresh set every time I make a change. The trick is remembering to move data created on the Montana into BaseCamp before doing this.

Ideally, the Montana should sync just like an iPod. Adventures are nothing more than a playlist.
I expect that this [Adventures] has to be coordinated with a BaseCamp release since there will have to be some kind of tag in the data sent that relates it to an "Adventure" List and visa versa on the Montana side. v3.60 did give us the Calendar linkage to data created on the Montana which can be handy when you're out and about for a week or so and want to pull up a waypoint quickly from last Friday - for example.

Seems at present that BaseCamp actually has more affinity with the older GPS's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #1143
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
In addition to what Emmbeedee said above, if you want to keep the Tracks on the Montana but just not in the Track Manager list, you can move each one individually to the Archive. Just select a Track in the Track Manager and select Archive. You can move them back to "active" any time.
Also, you can make tracks into "Favorites" on the Montana, which makes them easier to find, and harder to delete by mistake as well...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #1144
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Also, you can make tracks into "Favorites" on the Montana, which makes them easier to find, and harder to delete by mistake as well...
I know that when a Track is in Archive the way to get it back to "Active" is to make it a "Favorite". What other features do you know about for "Favorite's"?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #1145
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I know that when a Track is in Archive the way to get it back to "Active" is to make it a "Favorite". What other features do you know about for "Favorite's"?
Nothing much but if you give the track a useful name when you make a favorite out of it, it is much easier to find when it goes back into the Track Manager main screen. If you just make a Favorite out of it, and its name is one of the auto generated date based names, you have a heckuva time finding it unless you're paying attention.

You can do a lot more with it once it's no longer in the archive. If it's archived pretty much all you can do is View Map, Elevation Plot, Change Name, Delete and Make Favorite.

But I bet this "Favorite" element will be part of the upcoming "Adventures" environment.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #1146
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I was not that clear in my suggestion to use Archive. You can archive ANY track in the Track Manager, even those saved to the Montana from BaseCamp, etc. It's just one way to keep your Track Manager cleaned up so it's easier to find a Track.

Yes, I agree, there will be several new ways to organize or find your data. We got one of them with v3.60 and the Calendar linkage to data. Adventures will be a real plus for me.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #1147
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

An observation...

Yesterday I was navigating on the Montana and going through Tupper Lake NY, wanting to see the elevation so I changed one of the data fields to show that data. Today I wasn't navigating, but still had the Nuvi Dashboard, and found that when I'm not navigating, the data field is a different variable, showing the Direction.

Interesting to see there are two Nuvi screens available.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #1148
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
My apologies if this is repeated info... didn't have time to read through the last month or so of discussion.

After updating to 3.60 my Montana was nearly unusable... freezing, crashing, flipping the screen in all orientations, and turning off.

At one point I got an error message saying that the battery was a non-Garmin battery.

so..... since I only use the unit when powered by the bike, I took the battery out.

Performance was vastly improved. There were still a few anomalies, but I am guessing 90% fewer than when operating with the battery in place.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #1149
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
My apologies if this is repeated info... didn't have time to read through the last month or so of discussion.

After updating to 3.60 my Montana was nearly unusable... freezing, crashing, flipping the screen in all orientations, and turning off.

At one point I got an error message saying that the battery was a non-Garmin battery.

so..... since I only use the unit when powered by the bike, I took the battery out.

Performance was vastly improved. There were still a few anomalies, but I am guessing 90% fewer than when operating with the battery in place.

Yes, we do know about the battery being loose in the compartment which if you are riding on rough (doesn't need much vibration) roads or ground will cause many of the conditions you describe. Just put a bit of tape on the top or sides to hold it in place better and all will be well.

One additional thing, you might want to "Lock" your Display rotation when you're riding.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 AM   #1150
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Yes, we do know about the battery being loose in the compartment which if you are riding on rough (doesn't need much vibration) roads or ground will cause many of the conditions you describe. Just put a bit of tape on the top or sides to hold it in place better and all will be well.

One additional thing, you might want to "Lock" your Display rotation when you're riding.
thanks. weird thing is, though... my battery is in there pretty tight. i checked that after reading about the issue early in this thread. to remove it I have to clap it between my hands, so i didn't put any tape on it. guess i will.

this was on the slab, interestingly. the thing seems happiest when pounding down the trails.

i *thought* i did have the display locked... it probably reset itself on one of the thousand or so resets i did on my trip.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #1151
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
i *thought* i did have the display locked... it probably reset itself on one of the thousand or so resets i did on my trip.
If you changed profile, it likely changed because of that.

I wish Garmin would let you make some settings "Global" ie apply over all profiles. Like the "Lock Display" option. I always use mine in portrait mode, and wish that setting would persist over all profiles.

Would be perfect if they allowed "Global" settings with a way to override global settings in individual profiles.

I suggested that to Garmin this morning.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 06:18 AM
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #1152
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Oh dear...... a trip to Portugal and my Montana 600 failed on me. Screen fault and then a recalibration sent the unit crazy, just looping the calibration process.
Good job I had my old faith full 60CSX with me........
Garmin sent me an 'approved' boxed replacement this week, and at start up it was not recognizing the battery..... wtf! Once the unit had been used with mains lead, it cleared and saw the battery fine.
Ran the update 3.6 last night and I'll give it a try this week..... fingers crossed.

Just to add, on the trails in Portugal, it was fantastic. I had Portugal Topo running and it was perfect, especially also running the 60CSX zoomed out for where the tracks were not so well defined on the ground.

Right, I'm going back to page #1 of this thread and reading all 70-odd sheets for tips.
Keep it coming folks, this site is a great help for many.

Timpo.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #1153
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
An observation...

Yesterday I was navigating on the Montana and going through Tupper Lake NY, wanting to see the elevation so I changed one of the data fields to show that data. Today I wasn't navigating, but still had the Nuvi Dashboard, and found that when I'm not navigating, the data field is a different variable, showing the Direction.

Interesting to see there are two Nuvi screens available.
I believe that this is "standard" nuvi behavior for the left data field. At least all of my other nuvi based GPS's worked that way.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #1154
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
If you changed profile, it likely changed because of that.

I wish Garmin would let you make some settings "Global" ie apply over all profiles. Like the "Lock Display" option. I always use mine in portrait mode, and wish that setting would persist over all profiles.

Would be perfect if they allowed "Global" settings with a way to override global settings in individual profiles.

I suggested that to Garmin this morning.
I get Screen Lock as being non-profile based. Your screen is either locked or it isn't. No matter how you activate it, pressing the Power button (once or twice depending on your profile settings) will get you to the Status page so you can unlock it. This makes sense to me.

But I would like EVERYTHING else to be Profile based [period]. As it is now, one has to "discover" what is and isn't Profile based. It seems most things are but then you bump into something like Screen Capture which is not profile based and is Power-cycle reset to OFF (like Screen Lock).

And then there's the Camera settings which are global unless you're storing photos on an mSD card and it's removed. That causes the Camera settings to revert to factory default and Profile settings don't bring it back when the mSD card is replaced. But wait, there's a Camera Profile - which doesn't effect the settings any differently.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #1155
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I believe that this is "standard" nuvi behavior for the left data field. At least all of my other nuvi based GPS's worked that way.

Cheers,
My only other Nuvi is a 780 and I never noticed that, but then there are lots of things I don't notice...