ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #1171
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,967
So today I started to get the dreaded "Loose Battery" problem. The Montana shut down probably ten times before lunch. When we stopped for lunch I found some Duct Tape and wrapped that twice around the battery and the gps did not shut down again for the rest of the day.

During the morning, in the time that the gps was shutting itself off I noticed that the battery did not have a full charge though it was on the powered mount, and the Battery symbol on the dashboard of the Montana had the little lightning icon flashing very irregularly, where it would normally flash very regularly, if all was working as it should.

Anyway, once again, Duct Tape saved the day!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #1172
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So today I started to get the dreaded "Loose Battery" problem. The Montana shut down probably ten times before lunch. When we stopped for lunch I found some Duct Tape and wrapped that twice around the battery and the gps did not shut down again for the rest of the day.

During the morning, in the time that the gps was shutting itself off I noticed that the battery did not have a full charge though it was on the powered mount, and the Battery symbol on the dashboard of the Montana had the little lightning icon flashing very irregularly, where it would normally flash very regularly, if all was working as it should.

Anyway, once again, Duct Tape saved the day!
And the moral of the story is. . . put something on that Battery to keep it from moving!!!

Or, Duct Tape can fix anything. . .I wasn't feelin' so good last week, should've eaten a roll of Duct Tape.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #1173
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I wasn't feelin' so good last week, should've eaten a roll of Duct Tape.
Perhaps you weren't feeling well because you did eat a roll of Duct Tape as a preventative measure?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #1174
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
And the moral of the story is. . . put something on that Battery to keep it from moving!!!
Does this issue only happen with the rechargeable battery? Any issues for those who are using AAs? Thanks.

Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #1175
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 737
received my old for new warranty exchange unit (28U011xxx) and rechargable battery still has the wingle room. Mr Battery, say hello to duct tape.

On a happy note, Garmin did provide one free map upgrade after the RMA transfer was complete. I didn't buy the CNNA lifetime map update so this was a nice touch.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #1176
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
Does this issue only happen with the rechargeable battery? Any issues for those who are using AAs? Thanks.

Eric
I ran mine off-road on AA's and had no issues at all with battery movement. They are held quite snug - Remember: NO RECHARGEABLE Lithium's only NiMH!!! Don't want to burn down the house - er, Montana.

The Power Management is quite "smart" in that it will let you know what type of battery it has detected. The little battery status icon changes a bit as well. I have a pic around here somewhere I'll post.

Screenshot of the System Setup page (auto detection of battery type):

Found the Status page - it's a bit grainy since you can't "screenshot" the Status page now because of the programable button.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 09:07 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #1177
bonzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
DVD or SD for maps

Thanks to those folks here on this post for going above and beyond to help us greenhorns understand the Montana better.

I read the entire thread over the course of two days and was somewhat disapointed when finished.

If I understand correctly the SD card just pops right in the unit and the unit is good to go, the disc is loaded onto PC hard drive and then down loaded to the unit after unlocking. The disc will only work with one unit? The card with any unit? The disc I assume allows PC mapping with tracks, routes etc.

The big question is does the SD card allow you to work with the map in BC on your PC like the disc does?

Which one should I buy?

thanks for your help
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #1178
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post
The big question is does the SD card allow you to work with the map in BC on your PC like the disc does?

Which one should I buy?
Yes, the SD version can be used on the computer as long as the gps with the card in it is plugged in and you're using BaseCamp.

There are valid reasons for each method, but the fact that you can move the card from one gps to another is definitely a plus. I bought a gps which included a SD card and it's great to be able to lend that card to people who visit me, rather than have to try to download local maps for them.

Of course you have to make sure you get the card back when they leave!

But most of my map products I buy on dvd...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #1179
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Yes, the SD version can be used on the computer as long as the gps with the card in it is plugged in and you're using BaseCamp.
I assume this is only true for "locked" maps. I can put TOPO Canada v4 (which is not locked) into a sparse image on my Mac and with it mounted, Basecamp will read it as a valid map. The same holds true for the same TOPO Canada v4 on an SD card inserted into an SD card reader on the same Mac.

Quote:
But most of my map products I buy on dvd...
It's what I'd recommend as well...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #1180
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I assume this is only true for "locked" maps. I can put TOPO Canada v4 (which is not locked) into a sparse image on my Mac and with it mounted, Basecamp will read it as a valid map. The same holds true for the same TOPO Canada v4 on an SD card inserted into an SD card reader on the same Mac.
Yeah, I should have specified "Locked SD Map Cards like North America City Navigator". AKA "Plug and Play Street Maps".

If you buy a DVD version of an unlocked mapset like Topo Canada V4, and send an img to a SD card in a compatible gps, that also can be read through BaseCamp when the gps is plugged in whether or not the map is installed on the computer.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #1181
shu

Oddometer: 979
I'm following this thread with interest. Maybe in a year or two I'll buy a used one. Although....the price appears to be dropping already. I just saw this posted on HUBB. $468.

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/GARMI...PS_p_7616.html

......shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #1182
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
So glad I have a supply of 276C's that will last me way longer than I will last.
One of them is brand new.

No they are not for sale and I have round the clock security.
I got the Montana, not that impressed with it. The only way it will impress me is if it takes the extreme beating it will get over the year. The software isn't that great. I hear the 276c is the end all!

I honestly would have bought a zumo over it probably if I borrowed it for like a week. The screen is awsome, but the workflow is horrible. I bought the updated maps and it can't find businesses that have been there for years... That is just local.

I do like the mount, it looks cheesy but works good.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #1183
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
I'm following this thread with interest. Maybe in a year or two I'll buy a used one. Although....the price appears to be dropping already. I just saw this posted on HUBB. $468.

http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/GARMI...PS_p_7616.html

......shu
Anyone ever ordered from Digital Oasis? The reason I ask is that as far as I know nobody has any Montanas in stock as the redesigned, updated one is not shipping yet, but DO says they have 4 in stock. The second one I ordered won't be in stock until November 5 according to GPSCity. And I believe GPSCity.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:52 AM   #1184
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
...as the redesigned, updated one is not shipping yet...
Is there e redesigned updated version of the Montana? First I read about this. More info?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 AM   #1185
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
Is there e redesigned updated version of the Montana? First I read about this. More info?
Not sure how else to describe it - to fix the screen calibration issues, Garmin did something to the Montana line and stopped production for a while to do so.