ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #1201
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Cabelas also went to "backorderable" status on both devices they sell (600 and 650)
Not that they have the best deal, but I bet they sell a bunch of them to people who rack up "cabela bucks" by using the cabelas credit card.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #1202
LordRJD
OCD

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
For those that don't want to read through this entire thread to better understand the Montana, I have written an article on our website that you might want to take a look at. You can get there by clicking the obvious link in my Sig below.

I'll tell you up front that I have not included any verbiage relevant to bug's or hardware issues because I don't think any of them are currently reason's to avoid the Montana. Garmin has the best customer services after sale in their industry so any issue of a critical nature will be handled under warranty.

Cheers,
Nice article Dan. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Although I do agree that what I’m about to mention (again) is not necessarily a reason to avoid the Montana. I knew it had this issue when I bought it, and I went for it anyway. I do however think it’s a major flaw that Garmin really needs to address to make the unit truly ADV rider friendly. The issue is forced route recalculation.

For those who haven’t seen my other posts, this is an issue for those who like to spend time planning a route with MapSource or BaseCamp. The easiest way to explain it is with a scenario:

Let’s say you’re planning a spring ride down the east coast of the USA. Now, you don’t want to just run down route 1, do you? Of course not, so you spend hours creating a very deliberate route in either MapSource or BaseCamp. You spend many a winter’s afternoon mapping out all kinds of cool and interesting back and coastal roads until you figure you have the “perfect route” laid out. You load it up into your trusty Montana (or GPSMap 62/78) and hit the road.

Here’s where the trouble starts... You start up your GPS, touch where to? > Routes > “My east coast ride” > Go. What’s the next screen?... “Select a Calculation Method” Your options are “Minimize Time” or “Minimize Distance” That’s it! Period. You have NO CHOICE but to select one or the other, at which point you’re route will be changed to… you guessed it… Good old route 1. All of your planning just got flushed for the lack of an option to just use the freekin’ route you spent hours working on!

So, the “Pre-ride Planning” feature is lacking in the extreme. If you like to plan detailed rides, you may want to hold off until Garmin responds to the small (but growing) outcry over this issue.

In fairness, you can do a bit of a work-around to be able to do some planning. It’s not perfect, but you can place allot of waypoints in strategic locations along your planned route. By doing this you can essentially force the Montana to follow your planned route when it recalculates it. There just has to be enough of them to give the Montana no choice but to follow your route. It’s not perfect by any means, but you can get a result that’s fairly close to what you planned.
LordRJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #1203
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,040
I expect they will address this topic as they enhance the Routing "Activity" based profile sharing between BaseCamp and the newer Garmine GPS's. The condition you outline has been an issue since "auto-routing" was invented. Most of us would like the GPS to just use the routing data as-sent in the GPX data.

Given Activity Profiles, it would be good to have a setting like "As-Is" as a default but still allow for using other options if you don't have the same maps as the route was originally created on.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #1204
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
I thought this was solved with the addition of the...

Auto Recalculation "off" feature.

I guess i am not understanding why this option is presented.

Does the montana always give this option?

Even when the route was prepared using the same maps as are on the device?
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #1205
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Nothing solved. The Recalc = Off only affects a route under navigation when you deviate from the route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #1206
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRJD

In fairness, you can do a bit of a work-around to be able to do some planning. It’s not perfect, but you can place allot of waypoints in strategic locations along your planned route. By doing this you can essentially force the Montana to follow your planned route when it recalculates it. There just has to be enough of them to give the Montana no choice but to follow your route. It’s not perfect by any means, but you can get a result that’s fairly close to what you planned.
Not a Montana owner, just following this thread with interest.

As DRTBYK said - we've had to add via points to force the units to follow our planned routes for years. It's not that hard using the route tool in Mapsource (I don't use Basecamp).

It is kind of mind-boggling that Garmin can't figure this out though. You'd think it would simplify things rather than complicate them - just make it follow my damn route, don't do any "calculating"!
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #1207
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
(I don't use Basecamp).
If the person creating the route had the gps connected to the computer and used BaseCamp to create the route, there would be no issue with 'using the same maps as are on the device' because it would be using the maps on the device.

I see this as one reason to always use BaseCamp.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #1208
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
I'm holding off on Basecamp until I get a new computer. Current one is so old it barely runs Mapsource 6.13.7

I always use the same maps to plan a route as I have loaded/unlocked on my intended GPS unit. Which means I use City Select v7 for my 60Cx and City Nav NA NT 2010.40 for my Nuvi 500

I agree with your point about Basecamp reading the maps from the GPS - no question about map version then.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #1209
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRJD View Post
Here’s where the trouble starts... You start up your GPS, touch where to? > Routes > “My east coast ride” > Go. What’s the next screen?... “Select a Calculation Method” Your options are “Minimize Time” or “Minimize Distance” That’s it! Period. You have NO CHOICE but to select one or the other, at which point you’re route will be changed to… you guessed it… Good old route 1. All of your planning just got flushed for the lack of an option to just use the freekin’ route you spent hours working on!
First let me say, I agree that Garmin needs to accommodate a "hands-off" option for Activity Base Routing. The reason I quoted your text above is because you do have other options on the Montana - all be it, not the one I just mentioned.

When you press the "GO" button, the options you are presented are based upon your Routing setup options for each of the Activity types. If for example, you selected your Activity = Prompted and your Calculation Method = Prompted, you will have ALL of the available Routing types as option picks for calculating your route. Unfortunately, that doesn't help much with the topic of "As-Is" Routing but it does give you more options when you want them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #1210
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
I thought this was solved with the addition of the...

Auto Recalculation "off" feature.

I guess i am not understanding why this option is presented.

Does the montana always give this option?

Although I said "nothing solved", what I have found is that when using the same maps for planning as are available on the Montana, and using the same Activity type for Navigating as I do for Planning, the route calculation seldom deviates from what I planned.

Unfortunately the Montana process of seeing the Route presented on the map as you planned it, then see it go to Direct Routing and then to a calculated route based on user selections, is not a reassuring process to be sure.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #1211
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Nothing solved. The Recalc = Off only affects a route under navigation when you deviate from the route.

Cheers,
o'k if it recalculates,what can I buy that will not do that and is great for off road? Would it be a used 276C?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #1212
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
o'k if it recalculates,what can I buy that will not do that and is great for off road? Would it be a used 276C?
Any of the chartplotter garmins ie 276c 376c 378 478
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #1213
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I think you missed the point of this discussion. But, if you want to purchase a discontinued GPS and make sure you use MapSource and the same map sets between them, several of the older units will work for you: GPSMAP 276c/376/478, GPSMAP 60CSx. If you want a newer unit you might consider a zumo 660/665.

I personally wouldn't trade my Montana for any of them - and I've owned them all.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #1214
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Recalculation is just one part of the equation. If you buy an older gps just to get that feature (which will likely be built into the Montana eventually), you're going to be missing out on a whole different set of powerful options from a gps which is where Garmin's putting all their development resources..

But hey, it's your call. Just sayin.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #1215
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I personally wouldn't trade my Montana for any of them - and I've owned them all.
And I wouldn't trade my Montana for all of 'em.

I still keep my 62S here as a spare, but once you've seen what a modern generation of gps can do, there's no going back. I get a lot of use out of the wireless transfer between units, the multiple profiles saves hours of configuring just to get the settings you want for any particular scenario, there are too many things to list.

Today I copied a profile I had, configured it appropriately and called it OSM Maps Only, and while I was riding along I could very quickly switch between this profile and my normal "Automotive" profile which uses NA City Navigator and a "Topo" profile, each profile giving me completely different options without more than about 3 button presses.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 04:54 PM