ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #1321
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think I just figured out why I find the navigation weak on the Montana: I usually run Auto-Zoom off! I bet if Zoom was on, it would be more obvious a turn was approaching.
So I turned on Auto-Zoom for the 400 km ride today and yes, it did help see approaching turns. Also, being in the Nuvi dashboard helped too. But when I was getting close to home, a very small town I was Navigating to, I zoomed out to the 5 km level and so the upcoming turn was not obvious, and as I came up to a turn 2 km from home, the gps did not zoom back in automatically as I hoped it would. That's annoying.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #1322
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,162
Just got a really good deal on an older but new in box garmin Montana. Should I be looking to send it to garmin for the screen problem or just wait to see if a problem comes up?
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #1323
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Just got a really good deal on an older but new in box garmin Montana. Should I be looking to send it to garmin for the screen problem or just wait to see if a problem comes up?

I would wait, if I was you. There's no guaranty it's going to be defective, and I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to do with a new toy is send it away.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #1324
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)
 
B.E. Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia Beach, Va. / Sugar Grove W.V.
Oddometer: 5,162
yep, not looking to send it away now, but if it is going to happen, I'd rather do it now than in the spring
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #1325
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
yep, not looking to send it away now, but if it is going to happen, I'd rather do it now than in the spring
If it's going to fail it will do so if you run the screen calibration many times - switching back to the map in-between calibrations.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #1326
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If it's going to fail it will do so if you run the screen calibration many times - switching back to the map in-between calibrations.

Cheers,
Why would you calibrate the thing anyway? I've never had to even once since I bought the unit in September. I used to do my Palm devices fairly regularly, but then they seemed to need it.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #1327
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The first three places are the Model designation: 28U = 650 for example. Just from observation on this thread, it appears as though the S/N's were below the 1000 level: 28U001000 ?

Cheers,
The serial number is 2JP000XXX on the Montana we received this month.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #1328
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The serial number is 2JP000XXX on the Montana we received this month.
What model is this S/N for?

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #1329
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Why would you calibrate the thing anyway? I've never had to even once since I bought the unit in September. I used to do my Palm devices fairly regularly, but then they seemed to need it.
You really shouldn't need to. But, there are conditions in devices like these (especially with the rotating display) where the physical display and the touch-screen overlay can get out of calibration - usually because of the graphics being displayed. I would think after a Master Reset it would be a good idea to do a Calibration.

More to the point, if the screen cal could possibly fail then why not exercise it now so that it doesn't do it to you out on the road next summer? It will not cause any ill effects if the firmware and display drivers are good.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #1330
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbyk View Post
what model is this s/n for?

Cheers,
a 650.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #1331
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
More to the point, if the screen cal could possibly fail then why not exercise it now so that it doesn't do it to you out on the road next summer? It will not cause any ill effects if the firmware and display drivers are good.

Cheers,
I'm going to wait until the warranty's almost over to try any speculative recalibration. if it happens that I need to recalibrate for obvious reasons before then, then I'll do that. I still have my 62S and an Oregon 550 to use in case the Montana dies at an inopportune time.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #1332
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The first three places are the Model designation: 28U = 650 for example. Just from observation on this thread, it appears as though the S/N's were below the 1000 level: 28U001000 ?

Cheers,
Well it's here!

Cabelas totally sold out of 600's during the time Garmin was fixing the screens. None in Warehouse or any stores.
My store received a delivery of 3 this morning. Mine, 1 display model and I think they sold one. The counter dude said he just opened the box for the display model this morning, the serial number on both the display model and mine are 2JN0005XX


And Emmbeedee said his new 650 is 2JP000XXX

I would guess the 650 and 650T have different serial numbers ranges because I think the 650t has more memory?

2JN = 600 (after screen fix)
2JP = 650 (after screen fix)
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #1333
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Well it's here!

Cabelas totally sold out of 600's during the time Garmin was fixing the screens. None in Warehouse or any stores.
My store received a delivery of 3 this morning. Mine, 1 display model and I think they sold one. The counter dude said he just opened the box for the display model this morning, the serial number on both the display model and mine are 2JN0005XX


And Emmbeedee said his new 650 is 2JP000XXX

I would guess the 650 and 650T have different serial numbers ranges because I think the 650t has more memory?

2JN = 600 (after screen fix)
2JP = 650 (after screen fix)
Serial numbers are hard for us customers to pin to a particular model since they are easy for the Mfg to change based on changes in the Mfg line process. In this case we could be getting builds targeted for another region (EU) or as you surmise a change in line sequence due to the Display issue or both.

Enjoy your Montana.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #1334
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,676
by default my Montana came with GPS mode set to normal.
My PN40 used WAAS. I see I can change my Montana to WAAS.
All the manual says is click on this link which tells what WAAS is.

Do most of you change this setting?

Will
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #1335
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
by default my Montana came with GPS mode set to normal.
My PN40 used WAAS. I see I can change my Montana to WAAS.
All the manual says is click on this link which tells what WAAS is.

Do most of you change this setting?

Will
If you are walking with the Montana and need/want higher accuracy then using WAAS mode will provide it. My movements on the bike rarely require the improved position accuracy.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014