Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #16
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyote
FWIW, checked a few dealers out west. One or two scared me off, but most sound like they actually have bikes and parts within reach. Supply and demand is still low, maybe less than $10k OTD, even with a couple of useful options (wanted a searchlight and fuel carrier).

After thinking about it, I think I need to hold onto a ringer of a street bike -- something that will always start and work well. If I were to part with anything at this point it would be the nine-fiddy. I love that bike also, however. So, all I have to do, is figure out how to fit a hack *and* two cycleshells/bikes into my budget and fenced driveway...

above all else, keep bikes that you ride. Nothing is worse thana bike that just sits. So if you get more miles out of a Hedgeabuser, then hang onto it. Keep the ones that becon you to throw a leg over when it would be so much easier and more comfortable to ride in the heated comfort of a car.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #17
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,789
Chopperman speaks from experience, and clearly wants you to make an informed decision. I must add, however, that my Ural never left me stranded anyplace. Sure, it needed a few little tweaks along the way, something tightened here, something reattached there, but nothing that couldn't be straightened out in a few minutes. If you've read The Long Way Round you've had a taste of how self-reliant cyclists from the former eastern bloc nations view such things.

Yes, others have been stranded with dead alternators or stripped driveline splines or other horrors...there is no denying that these machines have earned their reputation fairly of being a rig for those who don't mind challenges. You might spend some time digging through the Ural discussion board on the IMZ site to get a flavor of the reliability of these machines. The upgrades that have taken place in the past several years are impressive.

NOTHING can compare with the sex appeal / family appeal of the Ural hack rig. If you know anyone who flies an old airplane you can get a sense of what the appeal is (like Chop said, though, this old biplane comes with a well-backed warranty). Dealer support is important, and you would want to do your homework in this area, though bear in mind the high availability of spares through an extensive network of support.

IMHO, every hack rig on the street enriches all our lives. Sentimental drivel? I'll cop to it.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #18
BonneRocker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
How about a Dnepr?

I saw these recently and was intrigued:
http://www.dneprmasters.com/dnepr.html

They are selling them on Ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Old 02-14-2005, 03:37 PM   #19
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumptastic
I saw these recently and was intrigued:
http://www.dneprmasters.com/dnepr.html

They are selling them on Ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

no way. By the time you get through the legal hassles and mechanical nightmares you will more than double the money you originally spent to aquire the Dnepr.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #20
BonneRocker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Thanks Chopperman....

Good info, as always! I just thought Ural was the only complete hack out there and our local dealer seems clueless about the products he's selling.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumptastic
Good info, as always! I just thought Ural was the only complete hack out there and our local dealer seems clueless about the products he's selling.
unfortunately that is a problem being adressed by the importer of Urals. But they arent alone. The same accusation gets levelled at many Guzzi dealers as well.

But I wouldnt worry too much about it. The machines are so bloody simple and you can get lots of good info from the community. The really good dealers are readily able to supply parts via mail. It's pretty rare that locating a part for any post 2002 Ural takes more than a phone call or two.

I just noted you are from Texas. I havent heard a lot of good things about Texas dealers. Unfortunately. I think both of the dealers there were pre-IMWA (current importer) and suffered through the pains of the old importer and the transition. It hasnt been easy for the good dealers. And the bad ones never cared.

Still I wouldnt hesitate on a new Ural if I knew it to be the right rig for me.