User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 AM   #61
crotchrocket3000
b00b

Oddometer: 192
AHHH, that'll be why then LOL!!

Looks like a really good piece of kit. I have a klicktronic on mine and there isnt really any alternative in the UK. It works great for me although nuetral can somtimes be a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune03 View Post
It looks like a Klicktronic but I purchased it from Pingel. I don't think they just rebadged the Klicktronic but make their own (although they sure look alike). Pingle also makes an air shifter but I think those only shift up. Concerning the shaft - it really isn't a long way out (of the shifter body); I extended the shaft length with a couple of coupling nuts with the stock rod end ball joint at the end. I did this for mounting reasons to involved to explain here. There are three markings on the shaft, the middle one is when the unit is at rest (which it is the way I have it set up) and the upper and lower ones are marks to show the recommended maximum throw when shifting. I positioned the pivot point on the shift lever so whether shifting up or down, gears are selected just before the lines are reached. Although this unit works great, I like the Translogic shifter on my Hayabusa much, much better. The shifter unit is more compact, making it much easier to mount and the shift buttons on the handlebar are ergonomically much easier to access. Thanks for your "congratulations"; I sure am having fun with it
crotchrocket3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #62
Neptune03 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotchrocket3000 View Post
AHHH, that'll be why then LOL!!

Looks like a really good piece of kit. I have a klicktronic on mine and there isnt really any alternative in the UK. It works great for me although nuetral can somtimes be a pain.
Check out the Translogic web site http://www.translogicuk.com/ Translogic is made in the UK. I had to purchase my first one directly from them because no one was importing them to the US at that time. Although more expensive, in my opinion it is far superior to what I have on the Yamaha. Nuetral is hard to find with the Pingle also, but not with the Translogic.
Neptune03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 AM   #63
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Wow you do have some very well tuned skills. Fantastic looking outfit.
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #64
crotchrocket3000
b00b

Oddometer: 192
Thats strange, i hadnt heard of them! and by chance there is one on ebay lol http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Translogic-Pow...item4cf7597e3c It does look like a good system. I got the kliktronic off another nabd member so it was only around £250 which i couldnt turn down!

Quote:
Check out the Translogic web site http://www.translogicuk.com/ Translogic is made in the UK. I had to purchase my first one directly from them because no one was importing them to the US at that time. Although more expensive, in my opinion it is far superior to what I have on the Yamaha. Nuetral is hard to find with the Pingle also, but not with the Translogic.
crotchrocket3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #65
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
That's looks great, nice build.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #66
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccoloco View Post
That's looks great, nice build.
Master of understatement there, Chocco.

Is there a possibility that the front tyre is too wide? Deflection at the sidewall is a lot further from the centreline than with a bike type tyre. More leverage, therefore more force through the steering?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #67
Neptune03 OP
Adventurer

Width of tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray View Post
Master of understatement there, Chocco.

Is there a possibility that the front tyre is too wide? Deflection at the sidewall is a lot further from the centreline than with a bike type tyre. More leverage, therefore more force through the steering?
I thought about the width of the tire being the problem also. However, although I realize Hogwild's suspension is much better than my set up, it appears that his tire may be even wider than mine and he rides far more gnarly terrain at greater speeds then I ever will. I see he has a steering damper on his rig so maybe that will take care of it. I have a VW steering damper on order so once mounted I will let all of you know if it makes a difference. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #68
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
I thought about the width of the tire being the problem also. However, although I realize Hogwild's suspension is much better than my set up, it appears that his tire may be even wider than mine and he rides far more gnarly terrain at greater speeds then I ever will. I see he has a steering damper on his rig so maybe that will take care of it. I have a VW steering damper on order so once mounted I will let all of you know if it makes a difference.
GREAT build! You do really nice work.

I went with wide tires mostly to get through soft dunes. I've tried several different types of auto type tires to find something that's good on hard terrain and soft.

For the rear, the rally tires you're using worked well on hard terrain, but there is no flex in the super thick sidewalls, so they didn't provide enough floatation in soft sand. In the end, the BFG Mud Terrain I'm using now works great in the sand, seems fine on hard terrain, and it has very tall and flexible sidewalls so it soaks up hitting large rocks without denting the rim. But the rally tire is better if you get a flat because the sidewalls are so stiff you won't even notice it. I've gone 95 MPH with a totally flat front rally tire without serious instability.

For the front I currently use a Mickey Thompson off-road tire. It has tall flexible sidewalls, and a somewhat narrower tread area. Wide front tires, especially those with a sharp left and right edge, tend to catch slants and edges in the roadway, jerking the steering to one side or the other without warning. This would not be a problem with center-hub steering because the tire stays level when turning. But for telescopic or leading link forks, when one edge of the tire is on a slightly higher point on the roadway than the other, it causes a turning force, which makes for squirrely steering. The narrower your tread in the front, the better steering you'll have on uneven terrain. When we had that rally tire on the front, we experimented with trimming the edge of the tread to give a slightly more rounded profile. This made a noticable improvement, though did not solve the problem. A steering damper might help a bit too, but it also won't solve this problem.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #69
Neptune03 OP
Adventurer

Wide tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
GREAT build! You do really nice work.

I went with wide tires mostly to get through soft dunes. I've tried several different types of auto type tires to find something that's good on hard terrain and soft.

For the rear, the rally tires you're using worked well on hard terrain, but there is no flex in the super thick sidewalls, so they didn't provide enough floatation in soft sand. In the end, the BFG Mud Terrain I'm using now works great in the sand, seems fine on hard terrain, and it has very tall and flexible sidewalls so it soaks up hitting large rocks without denting the rim. But the rally tire is better if you get a flat because the sidewalls are so stiff you won't even notice it. I've gone 95 MPH with a totally flat front rally tire without serious instability.

For the front I currently use a Mickey Thompson off-road tire. It has tall flexible sidewalls, and a somewhat narrower tread area. Wide front tires, especially those with a sharp left and right edge, tend to catch slants and edges in the roadway, jerking the steering to one side or the other without warning. This would not be a problem with center-hub steering because the tire stays level when turning. But for telescopic or leading link forks, when one edge of the tire is on a slightly higher point on the roadway than the other, it causes a turning force, which makes for squirrely steering. The narrower your tread in the front, the better steering you'll have on uneven terrain. When we had that rally tire on the front, we experimented with trimming the edge of the tread to give a slightly more rounded profile. This made a noticable improvement, though did not solve the problem. A steering damper might help a bit too, but it also won't solve this problem.
Thanks Scott, you described what is happening perfectly. Hope the damper helps a bit but when this tire wears out, I will either try using the slightly narrower one like I have on the sidecar or maybe something you have suggested if it will fit my wheel. Thanks for relaying your experience.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #70
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,567
Quote:
Thanks Scott, you described what is happening perfectly. Hope the damper helps a bit but when this tire wears out, I will either try using the slightly narrower one like I have on the sidecar or maybe something you have suggested if it will fit my wheel. Thanks for relaying your experience.
Looks to me like you'll havbe no great trouble building a narrower wheel if it comes to that.

Steering dampener will mask the problem. Time will tell if it's something that needs resolving.

At the moment, I'm getting lighter springs for the front of mine, with the dampeners re-valved, to soften it and match the sidecar suspension better. Presently it is pretty stiff and twitchy, even with a 130mm bike tyre.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #71
sidecar girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Neptune03 & Sidecar Girl's Excellent Adventure

Thank you so much for taking me for a ride in your sidecar and letting me drive. It was so neat to finally ride your beautiful creation after watching you build it for so long. It's so much better than our old BMW 650 GS with the Ural sidecar. Unlike the Ural, I love that you have so many places for me to hang onto when I'm monkeying around corners on your new bike. It's always a good day when you get blades of grass in your helmet and no splinters from mailbox posts. It was so nice to ride on dirt again and taking a sentimental journey to christen the sidecar and my foot in the lake and honking at cows…the cow in the road that ran alongside us was an added bonus to a near perfect day. It’s a shame there aren’t more twisty dirt roads here in north Florida so I could really monkey around while you fly through the corners. Speaking of flying, I also enjoyed the brief moments when we caught air. On the subject of air, my only complaint is that you haven’t added a heat shield on the radiator so your passenger isn’t cooked. I wish I had a thermometer in the sidecar especially since the high today was 98F. At least your passenger won’t need heated clothing in the winter.

I must admit when I first saw the white boat seat AKA “The Throne” I couldn’t imagine it working out, but it’s nice and comfy especially since it has its own shock absorber. Too bad we vibrated some of the bolts out today, and I thought the seat was rocking and I was getting whiplash from the G’s…JK. I can’t wait to drive and ride it in the triple digits!

I really enjoyed the varied surfaces we rode on from light to packed sand, gravel, red clay, and of course pavement. I wonder why the GPS registered 50MPH when the bike speedometer registered 60MPH. I also wonder why the GPS registered our fastest speed at only 81MPH. It seemed like we were going faster. Thanks so much for trusting my ability to drive it and show you what it’s like to ride in your sidecar. It was different sitting up so much higher than I’m used to, and riding with straight bars and my arms so far apart. Even without the steering dampener, it was so much easier to drive and control than the BMW with the Ural on all of the surfaces we rode. I also liked that it effortlessly shifts smoothly up to speed although I know that isn’t true for you and your electric shifter. There were a few times on turns that I forgot you disengaged the rear foot brake, since you use only the hand brakes, which led to a high pucker factor for me that hopefully you didn’t notice. I’d love to ride it again when you get the steering dampener installed.

I so glad you installed the winch with the handy dandy remote control. It sure beats the fold up shovel that was useless for digging out both you and our old rig when you buried it up to the foot pegs. Now all you need are cup holders. Here are 2 pictures of the beautiful but straight and flat roads in the Florida panhandle. I also posted 2 videos of our ride, one facing forward and the other, at your request, shot backward of the dirt plume we kicked up. Here’s the links:
http://youtu.be/Vg_l1xIvSko & http://youtu.be/lptLT8T7OX4 or look under “Yamaha FZ1 dual sport sidecar build video”. I prefer being a monkey, minus the tail and excess fur, than being a videographer, so please forgive me when I turn the camera from landscape to portrait. I’ll be glad to monkey or chauffeur you anytime, anytime...
Attached Images

sidecar girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #72
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
1. great post above... sidecar girl
2. you know i love that new hack of yours
3. those freakin' videos... HOLY SH__ !!!
love them
zooming down that fire road
wow
well done
thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #73
sidecar girl
Adventurer

Thanks for your kind words, but the rig is not mine at all. It belongs to my sidecar soul mate. Unfortunately we're no longer together, but I hope we can work on things out and continue to ride together and more.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #74
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar girl View Post
Thanks for your kind words, but the rig is not mine at all. It belongs to my sidecar soul mate. Unfortunately we're no longer together, but I hope we can work on things out and continue to ride together and more.
oh...
sorry to hear that (i hope that it worked out to be what's best for BOTH of you, in the long run...not trying to be DR. PHIL, by the way... )
the very best to you both
nice of you to post and show those videos
they were awesome

by the way...
i'll be in tallahassee visiting some kids at FSU by the end of july
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #75
sidecar girl
Adventurer

Maybe Dr. Phil would've helped. "At any rate," maybe I'll be invited to video the ride after the steering damper is installed.