User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Oddometer: 526
Vera rides again!

Hi, I'm Will. Or wildo. Like dildo but with more Will.

I'm 21 and from Australia. I landed in LA 6 days ago and have been on my bike for 3 days so far. I've been planning to buy a bike and ride the US for around about 1 year and I've finally got around to doing it!

The bikes name is Vera. I bought her with 18,500 miles off a fellow Australian *jock* who rode it through the US and then left her in LA where she waited patiently to liberate her. So far I've ridden from LA to Claremont where I stayed with the amazing Tucker and Colleen who gave me a bed and sorted all of the DMV paper work for me. Fantastic folk who helped me to no end. Tuckers is on ADVrider and helps out lots of foreigners with buying bikes etc. Highly recommended. From Claremont I rode to joshua tree, camped, then yesterday I went through Mojave, and camped in death valley. I'm now enjoying free coffee in lone pine and I'm planning on riding up to Yosemite and camping for the night. I've got lots of pictures so stay tuned.. I'll update when I can

The plan is to ride to Portland Oregon to see a mate.. then after that I've got no real plans.. thinking about riding down through the rockies, and maybe to Mexico for the winter. I've got a 2 year Canadian work visa so I'll be heading there when money runs out.

Peace and love.

My current ride.

wild0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Okay so first 2 days I spent in LA bikeless. Had lots of fun exploring and getting up to no good. My luggage wasn't really suited to carrying off the bike... so I liberated an airport trolley. During the 2 days we were together we traveled a long way and developed a strong bond. I miss her deeply.

My current ride.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

After picking up Vera from beverly hills I had to bid goodbye to my faithful trolley.

From there I rode to Claremont where I stayed with the lovely James and colleen! James had a little business helping out foreigners with motorcycles. If you're looking at buying a bike in the US get in contact with him. His usernames Tuckers im pretty sure. I stayed in claremont for a couple of days getting my shit sorted. Riding from LA to claremont was fucking crazy and scary!

Got one of the best haircuts of my life from this cool dude

Tuckers leading me into town to visit the hell hole which is DMV

Some shots from claremont

My current ride.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
OK Vera, we are watching. Treat Willo well.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Thumbs down thief

Quote:
I liberated an airport trolley
So what will you steal next?
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
Shut up.

wildo - I'm just outside Portland (between Portland and Mt. Hood).

Jock gave a heads up on another forum about him selling Vera. I rode around the NW with Jock and Vera a couple summers ago - if you need a place to stay for a night or whatever, or want some ideas for must see roads/places to see - lemme know. PM me, as I don't check RR often - "Vera" in the title caught my eye.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
Some American girls innocence ;)

My current ride.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Enjoying some free wifi as I write this. Living the homeless dream!

I bid James goodbye and headed for Joshua tree. Before I went though I decided to stop at ?chapperels? and get new tyres fitted and a new stack hat (I was feeling laaazeee and it was too hot to be changing tyrez)

While I was waiting for them to get fitted I went for a wander.. took some telling pictures that help show the America you don't see all too often on the tv. The spread of wealth is astonishing.

Note the eucalyptus tree - native to Australia!

Enough wandering! Ready to hit the road at 1800hrs with new rubber and lid!

My current ride.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Rolling outta town! Was loving the country.. took heaps of flicks...

Had abouta 30 40 mile ride into camp after this sign.. there was roadworks for a good portion of it.. of course I was sitting on 60 70mph.. during a section of straight I went to cross from rhs to lhs.. *it was dark* little did I know the rhs of the road was about 5" lower than the left.. when I hit it I was thrown into a HUGE tank slapper at around 60mph on the asphalt. .. don't know how the fuck I didn't high side and eat shit.. I guess I had some instincts kick in and maybe the new rubber saved me too.

I forgot to mention this was in the first 150 miles I've done on a bike in 2 or so years.. so I'm pretty thankful I'm still alive and kicking. Anywho.. got into camp late, setup, ate some ramen, chatted to the Japanese guy riding a gs850 the campsite across.. then smoked a doob and went to sleep under the stars.

My current ride.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Sorry for lack of quality in posts. I'm doing all this off my phone. Next post will be yesterday's riding - Joshua tree, mojave and death valley. Been real slack today - I've only done a couple hundred miles.. if that. I've been organizing photos and the likes. In bishop, CA. about to head off to Yosemite. If anyone has route suggestions I'd love to hear :).. need to get to Portland

My current ride.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,126
Another crazy Aussie.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Looks like you captured a lot of the upscale in LA.
2002 KTM 400 Off Road
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild0 View Post
After picking up Vera from beverly hills I had to bid goodbye to my faithful trolley.

From there I rode to Claremont where I stayed with the lovely James and colleen! James had a little business helping out foreigners with motorcycles. If you're looking at buying a bike in the US get in contact with him. His usernames Tuckers im pretty sure. I stayed in claremont for a couple of days getting my shit sorted. Riding from LA to claremont was fucking crazy and scary!

Got one of the best haircuts of my life from this cool dude

Tuckers leading me into town to visit the hell hole which is DMV

Some shots from claremont

WHY WOULD POST PICTURES LIKE THAT OF CLAREMONT????????
WE ARE THE U.S.A. NO. 1 CITY OF TREES, HOME OF THE BEAUTIFUL CLAREMONT COLLEGES......WE LIVE IN A 1908 FABULOUS GROVE HOME AND THOSE ARE THE PICTURES YOU POST OF CLAREMONT??????
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
Colleen
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,160
N!

Don't worry, Kalifornia isn't really America. It isn't bad, it's just different.

You''ll see....
The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man. ~G.K. Chesterton
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Interesting perspective Wildo. While you're in country don't miss riding Colorado.
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote