User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
BigKahunaBurger OP
They're Real Tasty

Oddometer: 51
2 Up, 10 Days - Glacier, Yellowstone, CDR, Beartooth, Black Hills, and more

Friends, Family, and Inmates, welcome to our ride report. My fiancee Stefanie and I are setting off on a 10 day adventure from Minneapolis to the Rockies. Significant stops include Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, and the Black Hills. We’re planning to ride three days of the Continental Divide Route from Glacier to Yellowstone, which I’ll admit, I’m probably looking forward to more than my significant other

We’ll be two-up on my Husqvarna TR650 Terra, loaded down with the usual bike and camping gear. We’ve got about three days camping to every one day in a hotel. In preparation for the trip, we picked up a pair of bluetooth helmet communicators, which should make the adventure much more mutually enjoyable (and hopefully make the long days on the interstate bearable).

I tend to be a meticulous planner, but I understand that some degree of flexibility is required on a big trip like this. If either of us ever feel overwhelmed during our three days of light offroading, we’ve always got paved-road alternatives within a few miles of the CDR. I also realize that, in an attempt to fit in as much as possible during our 10 day trip, I haven’t planned for any full-day rest and recuperation stints (though there are a couple half-days scheduled). Again, we have some flexibility in always being able to abandon our planned scenic route and just slab it directly to our end-of-day destination.

We’re leaving in about 10 hours (just putting a couple hundred miles behind us after Stef gets off work), and I still need to take care of a few last minute prep items. Depending on available data service and downtime, I’ll plan on updating this ride report as we go along. Until then, here’s a Google Earth overview of the trip.

Thanks for following along!

Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 7.42.50 AM
Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Sounds like fun. I'm in.
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
CPTBorg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Looks like fun

I'm envious, not sure if your camping or getting a motel but going across ND on 94 the western part of the state is lean on hotel rooms with the oil boom. (and expensive)
CPTBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
BigKahunaBurger OP
They're Real Tasty

We're blasting across North Dakota tomorrow and have a camping reservation at Makoshika State Park, just across the border near Glendive, MT. Definitely agree about the overinflated hotel prices in the area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,171
You're taking your bride-to-be on a 10 day trip, 2-up on a dual sport? Brave, man, very brave......
Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
BigKahunaBurger OP
They're Real Tasty

Haha she's a pretty great pillion, I have to say :) We added an Airhawk seat cushion and I threw my old sweet cheeks on top of that, which has increased her ride comfort considerably.

Also in the way of farkles, I got a Happy Trails skid plate + DIY highway pegs mounted this morning. Definitely looking forward to stretching my legs on the slab.

Finally, I got a new Pirelli MT90 mounted and balanced by the fine folks at Midwest Cycle Supply in Minneapolis. Strapped the stocker on to take home, as there's still some life left in it.

And, after clear skies all day, things have started to cloud up. We may ride through a bit of rain tonight on our way to Fergus Falls, but only time will tell. We (hopefully) hit the road in less than an hour!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
vinnard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Sounds fun. Looking forward to your pics from Yellowstone and Glacier as I'll be heading that way this summer
vinnard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,452
Looks interesting
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
flyguync
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Subscribed. Looking forward to your report.
2001 Honda XR650R (Sold)
flyguync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
BigKahunaBurger OP
They're Real Tasty

With little light left on the horizon, we roll into Fergus Falls and hole up for the night. The rain never did come, and it turned out to be a beautiful night, running down the sun in the crisp, calm Minnesota air.

We're looking forward to North Dakota and our Montana state park campsite tomorrow!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
BigKahunaBurger OP
They're Real Tasty

Hit the road shortly after 9 am. It was a little cloudy for the first few hours, but otherwise smooth sailing.

Past Fargo, Stef got on the headset to let me know that one of our dry bags had shifted and was hanging down a bit. We decided to stop at the next exit and strap it on a little better.

Later on down the freeway, while in faster traffic, I noticed a little pinging noise, which I first thought was just some helmet buffeting at the higher speed. But then the bike felt short on power, almost as if it wasn't getting enough fuel. I noticed the engine temp was a little higher than usual as well. I promptly backed off the throttle and the pinging went away. Soon the temp was back to normal too and it felt like the throttle response was where it should be.

I looked things over at our next stop and everything appeared to be okay—no loose bolts, no burned oil. There was what looked to be a drip of oil on the bottom of the skid plate, so I'll keep an eye on the dipstick at every gas stop to make sure we're not losing any. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the pinging wasn't just some bad fuel or a temporary EFI issue.

Unfortunately, the gas station we stopped at didn't have any no-ethanol-added fuel, so my fuel mileage dropped to about 36 mpg, below the at-worst 40 I had planned for. So we stopped short of Bismarck to top-up and grab lunch. The small town of Dawson had just what we needed.

The skies have cleared and the day's warming up. Should make for a nice afternoon of riding!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Thumb 2-up on dirt

I'm interested in this one.

I'm doing 2-up on dirt next year.

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
You're taking your bride-to-be on a 10 day trip, 2-up on a dual sport? Brave, man, very brave......
That was my first reaction too

You know what though, kudos to you guys for getting out there and doing it! You'll have a priceless memory very few have.

We did nearly this same trip last July, my RR (in sig line) might give you some ideas. Try to do the GoingToSun both directions with the sun behind you. The Roosevelt cabins in Yellowstone are cool and on the way to/from Beartooth. Two Medicine Campground in Glacier is cool and close to Glacier Park Lodge (a must see).

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
BigKahunaBurger OP
They're Real Tasty

Outside of Medora, we met a nice man from Pennsylvania on a 1985 BMW. He was on day 30 of his trip. Rode the TAT out to Oregon and was pushing for his second 900-mile day back.

Then it was on to Theodore Roosevelt National Park to get our parks pass and check out the landscape.

A lot of wind was fought on the way to Glendive, but the views from our campsite were worth it.

Though we spent a good portion of the evening slaughtering bees. We must have killed the queen on the way in, because the workers just kept coming to the bike. Probably killed around 20 or so.