Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1486
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Mark,

As much I enjoy reading your reports, your main mission is to travel and enjoy the ride. So, don't worry about us poor little worker-ants behind the computer... as long as you get to it one day

Ride on!

I'll second that.....enjoy enjoy enjoy

Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #1487
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
December 8th. When things do not go as planned..........

Well..... Sometimes things do not go as planned. As I road out of Semuc Champey and out on 12 Km of muddy, rocky, grave road. All was going well. But it had rained all night long and lots of water.

As I road the twisty roads toward Coban, Guatemala, with the goal of reaching Antigua late in the day.

I am running the K60 Heindenau Tires that were a bit squirrely in the wet pavement yesterday as I was told they were in wet pavement.

Well I was in a down hill curve and the rear was really squirrely, and broke loose to the outside. It took me into a deep ditch. Unfortunately just ahead was a large rock.....

I have run through the moments a thousand times already. If the rock was not there I could have stayed up and been ok. But it was there.

I was up on a mountain road with lots of fog, and the road felt like ice in this corner....

First, I am OK. Buen. Getting a bit stiff this afternoon...... Swollen Left knee, and I have a sore right foot but not much swelling. Think it hit the rock hard. My left need has a bit of swelling but will be OK.

Hepco Becker bags both came off but are all ok, other than a bit of road rash. At first I just thought I had blown my front tire, as it was flat.

You can see my scrapes as I tried to hug the top and get by the rock.

Front tire has a gash, and flat. Rim actually looks Ok, but have not pulled it yet to see.

But as I was taking a look at everything.....

Then I look down and see an oil slick, and then oil pouring out the right side of the of teh lower case.

My head fills with so many thought. I this the end of the trip.... How do I get my bike to Coban the nearest town.... A few trucks drove by, then a small pick up stopped. In my small amount of spanish I was able to communicate that the bike was broken and I needed to get to town. Moises and Hermelindo helped me load the bike into the bike of the pick up and off we go.

We get to the first bigger town with a moto shop. They point and say here? I say No I need to be me and the bike to Coban and a Hotel so I can get help getting my bike to Guatemala City and a BMW dealer. Moises, saws that he cannot drive there because of the police, and he does not have permission. ? not really sure but maybe it was not licensed. He stops and saw 1 minute..... I see some money change hands .... He comes back and says for 200 Quetzales (about $28 bucks). I say "si - mucho Gracias" and off we go.

They had a hard time finding the Hotel that I got out of Lonely Planet Guide. But finally they did and helped me unload the bike. Thanks Moises and Hermelindo. I gave them $300 Quetzales ($42 dollars) was grateful that they helped me out!!

Looks like the case is cracked Not again :(

But Frank from Guatemala has contacted me early on to say if I needed anything while in Guatemala he could help.
So I sent him a message and then called his cell phone from the hotel. He was AWESOME!!! He called the BMW dealer, and called me back to give me Jose's Number, the BMW dealer GM. I called him right back and he is sending a truck to get me and the bike tomorrow, and we will then figure out what this will take to fix.

Frank asked "is this the end of the trip?", do you think it is an expensive fix?" or "are you going to buy another bike?"
All these thoughts are swirling through my head. But I told him I wanted to get the bike to Guatemala city and see what happens.

He said great, and called me later to say he booked me a hotel near the dealer that he gets a good rate on!!

So My trip has taken a new direction and we will see how things evolve ....... Looks like I might get more Language School in Antigua :)

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 12:57 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #1488
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,085
Oh Nooo! Glad you're OK Mark.
I'll be waiting to see where this fork in the road takes you.
Plans

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #1489
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 120
Ouch!

Too bad that rock was there, the rest of the road looks to be ok. Bad Break. Glad you had a contact in country.

Surprised the engine might have cracked, you have the crash bars....Maybe it was the angle of the road hitting the bike.

Will be following along, hoping for the best....Glad you are not hurt.

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #1490
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
So sorry to hear about your mishap. First off, I hope you are ok, knee, foot etc. As for your bike, a little JB Weld may do wonders! A little down time in Guatemala will be good for you language training as you indicated. A positive attitude and friends will see you through
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #1491
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Oh Man...! Glad you are (reasonably)safe...in good hands anyway...
The bike doesn't look TOO bad (you caught it early) ...

kick your feet up, ice the knee while you're waiting (Cerveza Senor?), and language lessons?

Best wishes for quick fixes and a speedy recovery!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #1492
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Geez Mark, just told Heidi--if you need anything sent, wired or whatever, please let us know. I know you have contacts...but we're here.

Best wishes for your anti-inflammatories to work well, fast etc---and for the instant replay in your brain to fade quickly.

We're thinking of you.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #1493
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
Surprised the engine might have cracked, you have the crash bars....Maybe it was the angle of the road hitting the bike.
It is where the Engine guard connected to the case..... It is a bit hard to actually see what was damaged until it is apart. I was not in a place to do this myself, and the dealer was really helpful and will get me tomorrow.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #1494
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Looks like a job for JB Weld and Gorilla Tape.

Glad nothing is hurt too bad on you Mark.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #1495
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I hear purple springs make you a little goosy in the rear.....

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #1496
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,497
Doggoneit, Mark. What crumby luck!

Waiting to hear what the BMW guy can do. Hope you're feeling better.

Thinkin' about you, man.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #1497
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I hear purple springs make you a little goosy in the rear.....

The suspension has been great!!! . Thanks Jay.

This was operator error...... The K60's are noted for being a bit squirrely in wet road conditions. And in the 8,000 I have on them I have not had any I have not been down on the road since I was 16 Years Old...... So it happened.

I'm Ok so that is all that really matters. Might be a welding Job in Guatemala city.... We will see.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #1498
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Doggoneit, Mark. What crumby luck!
Thanks. Not really luck issue..... It was my fault, and while riding stuff happens....It was a good road, just slick with these tires, and I did not slow down enough. Enough Said!

Part of my journey. Will things fixed, and get on the road. In the mean time...... Lots to do in Guatemala.

The kindness of Strangers has once again impacted me. The two guys to helped me get my bike to Coban, not sure what there day involved but it too 2 hours or more of their time. Then having Frank in Guatemala City help me right away!

Just need to be Thankful. The rest is life.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #1499
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Mark we ride in wet all the time on K60's maybe it was something else? Never lost traction like you...just wondering if there was something on the road...hope you heal in more ways than one...I bet they can fix your bike...but rest for now and take it easy on that knee. Glad you are OK...in a way.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #1500
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Looks like a job for JB Weld and Gorilla Tape.

Glad nothing is hurt too bad on you Mark.
I suppose that would work, but what should he do about the bike?

Hope you're feeling better, Mark.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote