Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #1531
CB160
another old fart....

Oddometer: 80
Geez! Thousands of miles of road, and the only rock on the block jumps out in front of you!! (Been there, done that!)SUX!
Glad to see you seem to be in one piece. How's the pizza?
Hope the repairs are simple and quick!
Worry about the fleshie bits first and the bike later.
Hope you heal up quick!

GT
CB160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #1532
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,942
Mark,

I got onto this a little late. I was out riding today, and didn't hear of it until Z told me at the Meet-Up.

I was hoping you were done for a while with moments.

Does this make three, I hope so, that's the magic number isn't it? three? then it's all gravy, right?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 AM   #1533
DoctorAbo
friends call me Mitsulas

Oddometer: 262
Hello Mark, ( from Athens Greece)
The ADV's above have covered my thoughts with their comments. Good that you are fine and in good shape. This is adventure.
I wish quick repair of the bike and safe miles from now on. Take care of yourself because some hundreds of us are riding with you in this trip - you are not alone !!!!

DoctorAbo screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 05:21 AM
DoctorAbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #1534
Guateadventure
DreamRider

Oddometer: 18
Well like they say "shit happens" but you are in good hands I have your hotel booked right by the dealer and we have a state of the art welding shop here so don't worry i will be in the dealer when you arrive , I will make sure you have a great time in Guatemala,by the way Arno's flip it's a classic men do we watch that video he became a celebrity down here !!!!
I will advice to any one that rides thru Mexico and central america NOT to use offload tires we have a road system with path holes no with dirt and at a panic breaking you will slide like a butter in a pan is very very dangerous to use those tires ;we had very bad accidents in the past two years for wearing those tires unless you look for dirt roads all is 96% paved and dirt roads are not safe because they are the must comment for drug traffickers to use to avoid the law , anyways here we are in Guatemala for any traveler that we can help we all a big family anyway !!!!
Regards
Frank G
Guateadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #1535
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,935
Search on JBweld Guatemala city brought up this place.

Nuevos Almacenes, S.A.
(ace hardware)
Blvd. Los Proceres 4-96 Zona 10
Guatemala City
Guatemala

Maybe they might have it. But as other said, JBweld is just one flavor.
But I have read (on JB weld advertisements) where some guy fixed a cracked cylinder sleeve in a Cat diesel with the stuff :)
Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #1536
el' hefe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guateadventure View Post
Well like they say "shit happens" but you are in good hands I have your hotel booked right by the dealer and we have a state of the art welding shop here so don't worry i will be in the dealer when you arrive , I will make sure you have a great time in Guatemala,by the way Arno's flip it's a classic men do we watch that video he became a celebrity down here !!!!
I will advice to any one that rides thru Mexico and central america NOT to use offload tires we have a road system with path holes no with dirt and at a panic breaking you will slide like a butter in a pan is very very dangerous to use those tires ;we had very bad accidents in the past two years for wearing those tires unless you look for dirt roads all is 96% paved and dirt roads are not safe because they are the must comment for drug traffickers to use to avoid the law , anyways here we are in Guatemala for any traveler that we can help we all a big family anyway !!!!
Regards
Frank G
RM-
Sounds like you are in good hands down there! Your bike will be fixed in no time, and you will be ready to ride soon! Hoping your knee heals up quickly....use lot's of ice. My PT was a fan of the 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off technique to reduce swelling. Has always worked for me.

I can't stand when engineers utilize crank case bolts to secure kickstands, engine guards, and other ancillary on motorcycles....it is just not a bad idea that can leave you stranded in BFE. Good thing your amigo's helped you out.
el' hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #1537
Dratharr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Mark,
Glad you are ok, I have been in a similar situation before, except I was only 1500mi. from home, big difference! Strangely enough it turned out to be the highlight of the trip in some ways! Your ride reports are the best you always inspire me, and it makes for a great read during the cold Nebraska winter!

Matt
Dratharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #1538
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Radioman said:
Quote:
Got my leg iced, solid internet connection to get photos uploaded and comments posted, just had a pizza delivered, cold adult beverage, and even some english TV with spanish subtitles, and in the middle of a good novel also.
Well there ya go!! Even if you are taking a little forced R&R, It still beats caging it back to the grind back here in the 20 degree Orygun winter...You'd be all sorts-of stove up! (like us still-here-uns!)

Keep the feet up! The bikes getting fixed! (and enjoy the freedom to catch up your RR!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #1539
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
DOH! Be careful out there brudda! I came real close to getting squashed a bit north of where you are now and it slowed me down a lot for the rest of my long trip. I had another few close calls along the way and to this day I ride much more slowly than I did before gallivanting around all those dangerous places with questionable (if any) medical care around. So BE CAREFUL!

Well, it sounds like Frank is hooking you up. Great. I love Guatemala. They have problems but the people are mostly so nice. Really lovely people there.

Hey! Something just occurred to me as I am writing (hope it's not 205). You had planned on slowing down for additional Spanish language lessons right? I suspect you will have your fill of Guatemala City by necessity doing what you need to for your bike, but you are only about an hour (probably less) by public bus from Antigua which is not only a MUCH more pleasant place to pass the time (if you have to wait for parts or something), but it is one of the centers for Spanish schools in Central America. There are lots of schools there and the competition among them keeps prices down and quality up.

Everyone says your brave or crazy for riding your motorcycle around the world because they think it's dangerous. But they all think it's dangerous because of things they read in the newspaper- politics or whatever. The danger is all in those slippery curves and drunken truck drivers though. I'm not the least bit worried about you getting mugged, kidnapped, held hostage or accused of spying for the Kremlin, but slippery corners.....watch out for the slippery corners and donkeys and stuff. THEY are dangerous!

Glad you're OK Mark.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1540
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 471
Radioman

I have been lurking and following your ride from the beginning. To bad for the new delay in your trip, but it can’t be all pretty girls in 2 piece beach attire with cold beer and hot sand. Some fecal matter must interject itself.

Had my own little get off in Costa Rica a short while back. I can guarantee that it will hurt the next morning. Enjoy the people and experience. Every rider needs a war story; this will make a good conversation piece.

I am willing to bet that it won’t take much to stop the hemorrhage on your motor.

Buen Viaje
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #1541
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
Search on JBweld Guatemala city brought up this place.

Nuevos Almacenes, S.A.
(ace hardware)
Blvd. Los Proceres 4-96 Zona 10
Guatemala City
Guatemala

Maybe they might have it. But as other said, JBweld is just one flavor.
But I have read (on JB weld advertisements) where some guy fixed a cracked cylinder sleeve in a Cat diesel with the stuff :)
Amazing place, the internet!
Never used it on a bike YET, but used it on an old vw with cracked case and it worked 99% (slight wet spot, it worked for about 5 years)
Whatever happens, good luck and have fun!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #1542
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 284
Well now your no longer a "virgin" Mark. Got the battle scares to prove it. I kinda did same thing in Yellowstone this summer. Came around a corner about 25-30mph just fine then hit a wet spot where mist was going across the road. Made it as slick as ice. Went down so fast I couldn't even pucker up. Then it spun a 360 which pitched me off into the ditch with warm sulfer water running down it. I smelled like rotten eggs. Some people helped me get bike up. Nothing major broken on bike or me. Just bent the bars some.
What surprised me Mark was how long it took me to gain my confidence back. I didn't trust the tires any longer. Michelin Pilot 2's. I rode the rest of the 3 days home being cautious . It wasn't till I went to the Gorge Rally in Stevenson a few weeks later that I started to feel my confidence come back. I rode the Mary Hill twisties up and down 6-8 times and it seemed to help. I'm not an aggressive rider but when you go down for the first time on pavement, it shakes you cause "It shouldnt have happened, I wasn't even going that fast" .All is great till you throw a little water in the situation then its a different ball game.

I'll be praying for you Mark for a quick heal and how to get the bike up and running. Just another crossroad in your adventure. rj in Walla Walla
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #1543
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Cudos Frank, thanks for taking care of Mark.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #1544
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
First! Thanks to Frank I am in Guatemala City.

I just arrived at my hotel after the 4 hour drive with my bike in the back of a Pick Up that BMW Guatemala set up for me. Richardo and his family got up really early drove to Coban to pick me and my bike up, then return to Guata.

The BMW dealer took a brief look, and will not be able to really take a look until Monday. The engine case is certainly cracked, we will see if they think it can be welded..... They have done others and have a really good welding shop.

So now I need to wait until they have a chance to take a look. Then see what decisions I will need to make. Frank also has some thoughts about another shop if BMW cannot fix it..... There are options. Have had more than a few suggest JB weld or the like, and that might be my fix for now.

So with time on my hands.... I had already planned to be in Antigua (that is where I was riding to when things changed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
Hey! Something just occurred to me as I am writing (hope it's not 205). You had planned on slowing down for additional Spanish language lessons right? I suspect you will have your fill of Guatemala City by necessity doing what you need to for your bike, but you are only about an hour (probably less) by public bus from Antigua which is not only a MUCH more pleasant place to pass the time (if you have to wait for parts or something), but it is one of the centers for Spanish schools in Central America. There are lots of schools there and the competition among them keeps prices down and quality up.
So thanks Pete, That is my plan. Get to Antigua tomorrow. Frank is setting something up for me......

Have a hotel set up, and will check out Spanish Schools and hopefully will start on Monday... there are a few other things to see and do in the area as well. Time will not be wasted for me.

"Stayed tuned to "as the world turns......."

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #1545
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Cudos Frank, thanks for taking care of Mark.

Terry

+1. I love to see the world wide motorcycle community in action.