User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #1591
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 597
Tread direction

Mark, I've followed every post of your trip. Finally time to chime in. Not an expert but this may help. Experience gained from many years on a mountain bike.

Think of the tire pattern as the area of traction between the bike and the road. A rear tire is mainly for acceleration. As such the tread should form, or be mounted, to allow as much grip as possible as the tire spins forward. Conversely the front tire is mainly for braking and as such will usually have the tread in a reverse direction from the rear. From the beach picture I would agree that the front tread appears to be reversed. How this might affect wet braking I'm not certain but I would wager it might be negative.

I'm sure there are countless threads on ADV addressing this subject. Something to keep in mind as you continue around the globe. Many tires yet to mount.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #1592
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Last thing I wanna do is distract from Mark's epic trip however, with respect to the opinions of the recent posts, I'm sure the Heidenau people did testing on this tread pattern when mounted on the front. Mark's tire is mounted as per their 'arrows'.

I got caught in some snowy weather transiting through Yellowstone this May and my tire and stability was fine.

Good Luck with the bike repair Mark and best of the Season....
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #1593
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
My two cents on the tire issue. I run good old Avon Gripsters on my Transalp. I've ridden in every concievable weather and road condition, they are wonderful. No traction issues at all. I also get alot of miles out of them. 10000 plus. This is with my bike fully loaded.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #1594
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,425
Mark, Guatemala looks amazing! Reminds me of my former life in the Caribbean

I am sure you will have no issues getting the bike fixed, and if all that was wrong was a cracked side cover, as mentioned earlier, JB weld might have done the trick. But with a brand new bike, and the fact that there is a dealer there, why not get it fixed right!

My old Honda (and all 3 of my spare motors) have JB welded sidecovers as the kickstarter bolt would often collide with the case! Make sure to put some in your tool bag in case you get "cased" somewhere a little more, um, isolated.

I have been throughly enjoying your thread, thanks for taking the time!

PS It is amazing how a few boobies-in-bikini shots can derail a ride report....I wonder if they realize that the interwebs have lots of free booby pictures just a click away!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #1595
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,279
The Heidenau front tire is mounted correctly on Mark's bike...just FWIW...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #1596
nassho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Last thing I wanna do is distract from Mark's epic trip however, with respect to the opinions of the recent posts, I'm sure the Heidenau people did testing on this tread pattern when mounted on the front. Mark's tire is mounted as per their 'arrows'.

I got caught in some snowy weather transiting through Yellowstone this May and my tire and stability was fine.

Good Luck with the bike repair Mark and best of the Season....

Then its my mistake. Im sorry, I was trying to help.

Mark. How are your injuries going?
nassho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #1597
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
OK, now I have to stir shit. The reason to mount a rear tire backwards on the front of a motorcycle has to do with the tire's belts. the torque/twist/whatever on the rear is almost all from engine thrust. On the front, it all from braking--the exact opposite.Am I deluded?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #1598
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Radioman,
PM sent.

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #1599
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassho View Post
How are your injuries going?
My knee is still sore (just on the inside end facing my other knee, must have hit the bike frame or engine guard?, but is getting better. My foot is much better has a little bruising but is getting better. Had a few muscles in my chest that were also a bit stiff and sore, but are feeling better.

I will be ready to ride when my bike is repaired. Still waiting to here back from the dealer this afternoon.... Hopefully soon with good news....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #1600
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Just got off the phone with Frank, and he talked with the Mechanics at the BMW dealer. Told me there is Good news and Bad news....... Looks like the shop can weld up my right side case to stop the oil leak

But that the crash bars will not be able to stay on the bike as the mounting positions connect to the lower engine case were damaged. That would mean pulling the engine and replacing the lower case in order to fix this problem. Based on my experience with this BMW engine, It would take a month for the parts and then the rebuild..... So I will probably just ditch the engine guards.... and just

Will know a bit more tomorrow but looks like I will be on the road again next week heading south toward Costa Rica and Panama, Hopefully reaching Panama by the end of the year.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #1601
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 144
Guards?

Guards?
Don't need no stinking guards....

They probably caused more damage than you'd have received without them..
Maybe.

Like you emoted: ride on.

Hablando espanol. Mui bien.

N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #1602
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,170
Or don't ditch the guards.... Just take them to a local welder and have them "customized" to fit the welded engine case... It will probably be very cheap and fast... OTOH I'm not sure I'd want those guards on the bike either.

Ride on!
Buen viaje
Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #1603
Radioman OP
Moto rider

December 13 Antigua

Started my day with a nice cup of coffee, then off to Spanish school for 4 hours.

After class I just took it easy, read some Ride report threads, did some reading and then Called BMW, but the GM was at lunch.

This is a great place to hang out.

Last nights sunset over one of the Volcanos in the area.

Lots of Restaurants

and very cool building top see.

Had a great dinner tonight which is a Guatemalan favorite,

espanol...

Ingles

Will know more on the bike tomorrow but it appears the dealer can get the cover welded and me on the road again, but the engine guards will need to go, since the place they attach is the lower engine block.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #1604
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 267
Can you use some sportbike-style sliders? The only thing you need the case savers for is to prevent holing the crankcases in the case of a crash. Crashbars that crack your case are useless. So much of this "adventure gear" is useless garbage, particularly the crap sold by the OEMs. If I were you, I'd buy Metzeler Tourances and stop hauling tires around. If the Heidenaus have a reputation for being squirelly, then they are the last thing you want on your bike. I've been over the highest passes in Colorado and 2-up to the bottom of Copper Canyon with a 21" Tourance on the front and an ME88 Marathon on the rear. All you want is reliable tires and the ability to fall over without debilatating damage. Don't get caught up in the image.
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #1605
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,735
Hiya Mark.

If you still want engine guards, you could modify the existing guards you have quite easily...

I'd run a piece of heavy-walled rod UNDER the engine, and clamp it to the existing crashbars so that they don't need to be bolted to the engine cases. This way your engine is still protected, but your not jeopardising your engine case mount.
That's what I'd do if it were mine. (I can make you an illustration if'n ya need one.)

Sorry to hear about your get-off. They sure come up quick.....don't they!!

Take care, enjoy your short hiatus, and BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

GodSpeed!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote