User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #1621
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Hay Mark

Welders are cheep and could make the crash bars mount to the frame and give the crankcase more room. Just something else for you to think on. Have fun and keep up the good RR. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #1622
northtrekker
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hello Mark,

It's taken several days of free time but I've worked my way from page one to present. What a great story so far! You're doing a good job carrying us all along with you. I've read quite a few trip reports from people traveling through central and south America. One common theme seems to be hooking up with other riders met along the way, be it for a day or longer. Maybe as Christmas approaches you could aim for a hostel or some place fellow ADV travelers seem to stay. Most will have similar feelings as you regarding being away from home and family. You could have an "ADV Christmas". No matter where you are think of the stories you can share at future Christmases with friends and family: "I remember the Christmas of 2011! I was in a jungle swatting mosquitoes while patching a flat." Or "I was on a beach sipping rum and cokes, enjoying the warm sand and view." (I'd aim for the beach).

Hope the bike is back to you soon and the future holds fun adventures.

Carl

The only thing standing between you and your dream is you.... And store security.
northtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #1623
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Hey Mark, did you know that Melissa and I got married right there in the inglesia de Merced? It's in one of your pics above.

Hey before you leave Antigua, you should visit the ruins called Capucinas. IT's worth it. Then, across the street is a place called Casa Capuchinas. We rented that whole place for us and our families. It was cool to have the whole thing so we didn't have to lock doors and stuff. Check out one of the upstairs rooms if one is available- they are real nice.
Attached Images

petefromberkeley screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 10:15 AM
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #1624
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
northtrekker said:
Quote:
No matter where you are think of the stories you can share at future Christmases with friends and family: "I remember the Christmas of 2011! I was in a jungle swatting mosquitoes while patching a flat." Or "I was on a beach sipping rum and cokes, enjoying the warm sand and view." (I'd aim for the beach).
+1! You gotta rest sometime...and there are some beautiful churches to see a Christmas service in... just saying, remember that this isn't a job... You're adventuring and having fun! Set your own pace... No Stress!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #1625
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
Hey Mark, did you know that Melissa and I got married right there in the inglesia de Merced? It's in one of your pics above.
how cool is that!!

Unfortunately I am having to head back to Guatemala City to check on my Motorcycle tomorrow right after Spanish class. Feeling the pinch to get to Costa Rica/Panama for Christmas.

I will certainly have a memorable Christmas on the road for sure. Where ever that might be :)

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #1626
petefromberkeley
-

That would be moving quickly. El Salvador is nice (during the day). I didn't give Nicuragua enough time- maybe spend Christmas on Ometepe island? I guess see how things go with the bike.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #1627
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
That would be moving quickly. El Salvador is nice (during the day). I didn't give Nicuragua enough time- maybe spend Christmas on Ometepe island? I guess see how things go with the bike.
I have been to El Salvador, so I am headed to Copan, Honduras then into Nicaragua before riding to Costa Rica. There are times when you have to keep moving as I am really interested in getting myself to South America so something has to give :( Want to be able to get to Ushaia before it gets too cold, and I am planning on a boat trip to Antarctic which stop running end of March.

Hate to have a deadline for this part of the trip...... But sometimes you just need to make the decision and know that a future trip could happen depending on what really grabs me on this journey. Even with extended time this happens

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 07:28 PM
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #1628
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
Tierra del Fuego will be there next winter, too. What's your hurry again? I forgot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I have been to El Salvador, so I am headed to Copan, Honduras then into Nicaragua before riding to Costa Rica. There are times when you have to keep moving as I am really interested in getting myself to South America so something has to give :( Want to be able to get to Ushaia before it gets too cold, and I am planning on a boat trip to Antarctic which stop running end of March.

Hate to have a deadline for this part of the trip...... But sometimes you just need to make the decision and know that a future trip could happen in the future depending on what really grabs me on this journey. Even with extended time this happens
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #1629
petefromberkeley
-

Yep, even a ride this size has compromises. You should be OK on time, but you do need to keep moving. Melissa and I were in Quito for Chistmas and I made TDF with plenty of time to spare (had some cold days though). You'll be good.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #1630
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,802
Quote:
I have been to El Salvador, so I am headed to Copan, Honduras then into Nicaragua before riding to Costa Rica.

did I miss something? didn't you want to go to Tikal as well? Copan is nice, but I think Tikal is way more impressive do to the wooden setting...
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #1631
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
did I miss something? didn't you want to go to Tikal as well? Copan is nice, but I think Tikal is way more impressive do to the wooden setting...
Stopped in Tikal as I came into Guatemala from Belize. Really was great but so was Palenque in Mexico!!

Page 100 or so. Post 1491

Radioman screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 05:40 AM
Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #1632
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
Tierra del Fuego will be there next winter, too. What's your hurry again? I forgot
Following the seasons..... TDF before Winter, Then Summer begins in other parts of the world that I plan on seeing... IE India, China etc.

Time and Money both are part of the realities of anyones travels. Will eventually run out of both

Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #1633
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
"There are time of elation and times of loneliness as you wish you had someone to share the trip with."

You are sharing your trip with a lot of people, all thou i know what u mean and the road never ends
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #1634
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,980
Mark,

I'm still following along, and keep you in my prayers daily.

Godspeed brother!

Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #1635
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
a future trip could happen in the future
WOW...that's profound!!!! ^^^

GodSpeed