Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #1711
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
Excuse my ignorance if I missed anything.

But is Sherri the woman from the Colebatch/Sibersky Extreme thread?
The one and only :)

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #1712
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillia View Post
Looks like you got the "fancy" Guatemala/El Salvador border crossing--did you cross on CA-1? I did CA-2
Wait for it..........

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #1713
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Woo hoo!

Libertad is OK. I stayed right on the beach in a place run by great folks. Can't remember what it was called, but it was nice. Great swimming and we bought a whole hammerhead shark at the night time fish market. The people who owned the hotel cooked it for us.

The border from El Salvador to Honduras was the biggest pain in the ass border I have ever crossed in my whole entire life. I suggest you pack a lunch . It's not dangerous or anything, it's just more BS than normal (much more).

Having two of you will help a great deal.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #1714
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
The border from El Salvador to Honduras was the biggest pain in the ass border I have ever crossed in my whole entire life. I suggest you pack a lunch . It's not dangerous or anything, it's just more BS than normal (much more).
Will post up soon! Feliz Navidad! Mark

Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #1715
Radioman OP
Moto rider

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/7kyBWUGHZfj3slIpZIbe

Old 12-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #1716
Radioman OP
Moto rider

December 21st El Salvador to Honduras

La Libertad, El Slavador. Beach town. We rolled in late. Lots of Gingos here. Stayed at this place for the night.

We were up early to get started on yet another border crossing.

Lots of women carrying there loads on there heads. Never see Men doing this? Have seem many men hauling wood and other heavy loads with a strap around there forehead.

And as we head off..... Animals in the road.

All along Central America are Volcanos jutting up around you. El Salvador is no exception

El Amatillo Border crossing into Honduras. Had read ride reports and knew what to expect. It is a circus of insanity as you start rolling up to the border with "Helpers" runinng and waying for you to stop and they will help you. Actually we stopped for gas jsut at the junction before the border and "William" came running..... He would help with crossing just $5.00 he would meet us there. I said "No Gracias" he was pushy.... but finally got the message. Then a ton of trucks all lined up. We rode right through the trucks and thanks to Lars and Harriettes posts knew to lokk for the first custom building.

Then a few more showed up, waving etc. This guy Rene....stuck with us and really was helpful in telling us what was next. .... I said No Gracias. We would be OK without.

Got the initial El Salvador Paperwork done, but we needed Copies, then back to have them Signed off. Rene.... was helping all along but really nice.... Then we geared up and he ran ahead to a Tuk Tuk to get the 3 KM to the border....

He was clearing a path for us to get by.

Sherri and I were looking at each other and laughing about all the help.....

We get stamped out of El Salvador which was fairly easy. Other than all the money changers, and people wanting to watch our bikes, that we had pulled right up near the counter per Rene's Advice.

Ok. Now we are over the river on the Honduras side. Rene now has Osmin his Honduras helper with him and one other guy. they direct us to park, and we are just ....... So he walks in with me to the Aduana Office to meet Idas, and start filling out the Bike customs stuff. It is $35 USD for each bike. Idus is great. She asks if I speak spanish as I am doing the paperwork while Sherri watches the bikes (she did yesterdays paperwork). I say Un Pocito.... She say "por Que?" and I tell her in spanish I am learning Spanish slowly as I am old. She laughs...

Here is the friendly Idas!! She was great!! the other guy is doing Sherri's paperwork, and it is around lunch time. Osmin now is in charge of helping us. We had not agreed to having him help either but he was helpful.

Took all my copies and filled out paperwork to the Passport Customs window with Osmin at my side. Paid 3 dollars each (but Osmin had already collected $3 from Sherri which i did not know). watched the guy put a wad of cash in his pocket but we did get a receipt.....not sure if that is his commission or? Get that stamped right away.

Then Osmin says, look you need copies of the passports (with the stamped pages), licenses, passports etc. $2 and I will do it all. Ok i walk with him.

Then he says we can have lunch in the air conditioned Pollo place while he finishes all the paperwork and gets us out of here before everyone takes lunch. Sherri is over heated as it is 90+ degrees. We move the bikes to right in front of the chicken place, and order lunch and watching our bikes.

Osmin comes back. Says All paperwork is done. Let's go get you out of here. Osmin, Rene and one other guy were in the Tuk Tuk....

Heading out of the border.

Here is Rene and Osmin with Sherri.

we ended up giving them 10 bucks each..... They spent the whole 2 hour crossing with us..... They said they had to pay the police for not checking our bikes and etc. We felt good about what they had done. We certainly could have done it on our own, but it took less time in the heat of the day and got us riding into Honduras earlier. Everybody has to decide what they want to do as I have not paid any other money for the other crossing helpers other than $1 in Belize when the guys watched my bike.

As I was told, Honduras has some really big potholes..... some were almost a foot deep..... had to really pay attention. And the trucks swerve to avoid then and end of in your lane all the time.

Then there is the sugar cane stocks in the road

Just a few police checkpoints but they never stopped us.....

Got to Choluteca, Honduras and were looking for a hotel. This nice traffic Cop, was really helpful and got us on the right track. The hotel he suggested was $60+ USD. so we used Lonely Planet and found one in town for $38 USD for a double. But we needed to rest after the hot border crossing.

We eat at a local place. The woman was really kind. Food was great! Just a couple Dollars.

Radioman screwed with this post 12-22-2011 at 07:26 PM
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #1717
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Border crossings with the tropical heat, corrupt officials, and long lunches can be a real test of patience. Looks like your breezing right thru.

One nice thing is you won't have to go back through them.

Maybe try some of those jumping beans from (jib jab) video to speeds things up at the border....

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/7kyBWUGHZfj3slIpZIbe
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #1718
yzfcathy
Weeble

Oddometer: 1,184
Better with time

This ride report just keeps getting better and better.
Feliz Navidad RM
Cathy's Dumb Solo Ride
The John Penton Story, Movie project
yzfcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #1719
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,566
Mark - you're so talented.

I had no idea you were a singer too. Sound just like Jose Feliciano.

Your adventure continues to fascinate.

Have a good holiday on the road. :santa

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #1720
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfcathy View Post
This ride report just keeps getting better and better.
Feliz Navidad RM
:Wave Hope you and Skip have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #1721
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post
I had no idea you were a singer too. Sound just like Jose Feliciano.
Amazing isn't it! Thanks Nicky May you have a great holiday as well.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #1722
Radioman OP
Moto rider

December 22nd, Choluteca, Honduras to Granda, Nicaragua

Continuing the ride south through Central America. It has been a couple days of riding the countrysides and crossing the borders. Enjoying the riding, and know that I am not really spending time in these countries, but I am choosing to ride south so that I can get myself into South America just into the New Year.

Have seen lots of Horse or Donkey pulled wooden carts hauling goods along the main roads in Central America.

OK here we go again. Crossing the border at Guasaule. Expecting helpers to come running again so I am prepared to tell them No Gracias. As we rolled in a couple started point to pull into the left sort of parking area. Not really sure it the first place we stopped and the guy checked our vin was a real stop.... but then we moved down to the Aduana office to get passport and moto checked out of Honduras.

Aduana Office does not look like much.

Having a riding partner, is great at these borders so that one watches the bike, and the other does the paperwork. Today Sherri was doing the paperwork, so I watched the bikes. Her Spanish is way better than mine which will help!

Guys still coming by to change money and "help". No Gracias. But I forgot to get rid of my Honduras money on this crossing just because it is such a barrage of people asking that you shut down.

While waiting in the hot sun, had kids come up to sell me stuff, offer to polish my boots for a $1, or just beg for money.

Sherri all wrapped up with the check out. They took all our Moto papers but gave us a small white piece of paper to give to the guard at the bridge to leave.

With the time..... Shooting a few photos. More stickers for my bike..... Thanks Frank for getting me the Guatemala Sticker!!

Sherri has quite a collection from all over the world.

These ladies had stopped by to sell me some fruit out of the baskets on their heads. Commerce is on full swing at the borders. Lots of services needed. The guy with the 3 wheel bike shuttles people walking over the border to the Nicaragua side.

Ok on our way out of Honduras!

and into Nicaragua!

As we pull into the parking area for the Aduana, two "official" people approach to sell us the mandatory Insurance for $12.00. Rosana was very friendly so I asked for a photo! Not sure if the insurance would do any good.

Through the trees to the blue and white building is the Nicaragua Aduana/Customs. Sherri when in and got things all signed off. The kid in the foreground wanted to be a helper. No Gracias!

The shuttle service bringing people over to the customs office on this side.

It is still early but the heat is rising while I wait.

The whole process took just over an hour. and then we were on our way!!

The roads were better in Nicaragua as we headed south toward Granada.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #1723
Radioman OP
Moto rider

December 22nd, Choluteca, Honduras to Granda, Nicaragua

Continuing the ride south through Central America. It has been a couple days of riding the countrysides and crossing the borders. Enjoying the riding, and know that I am not really spending time in these countries, but I am choosing to ride south so that I can get myself into South America just into the New Year.

Have seen lots of Horse or Donkey pulled wooden carts hauling goods along the main roads in Central America.

OK here we go again. Crossing the border at Guasaule. Expecting helpers to come running again so I am prepared to tell them No Gracias. As we rolled in a couple started point to pull into the left sort of parking area. Not really sure it the first place we stopped and the guy checked our vin was a real stop.... but then we moved down to the Aduana office to get passport and moto checked out of Honduras.

Aduana Office does not look like much.

Having a riding partner, is great at these borders so that one watches the bike, and the other does the paperwork. Today Sherri was doing the paperwork, so I watched the bikes. Her Spanish is way better than mine which will help!

Guys still coming by to change money and "help". No Gracias. But I forgot to get rid of my Honduras money on this crossing just because it is such a barrage of people asking that you shut down.

While waiting in the hot sun, had kids come up to sell me stuff, offer to polish my boots for a $1, or just beg for money.

Sherri all wrapped up with the check out. They took all our Moto papers but gave us a small white piece of paper to give to the guard at the bridge to leave.

With the time..... Shooting a few photos. More stickers for my bike..... Thanks Frank for getting me the Guatemala Sticker!!

Sherri has quite a collection from all over the world.

These ladies had stopped by to sell me some fruit out of the baskets on their heads. Commerce is on full swing at the borders. Lots of services needed. The guy with the 3 wheel bike shuttles people walking over the border to the Nicaragua side.

Ok on our way out of Honduras!

and into Nicaragua!

As we pull into the parking area for the Aduana, two "official" people approach to sell us the mandatory Insurance for $12.00. Rosana was very friendly so I asked for a photo! Not sure if the insurance would do any good.

Through the trees to the blue and white building is the Nicaragua Aduana/Customs. Sherri when in and got things all signed off. The kid in the foreground wanted to be a helper. No Gracias!

The shuttle service bringing people over to the customs office on this side.

It is still early but the heat is rising while I wait.

The whole process took just over an hour. and then we were on our way!!

The roads were better in Nicaragua as we headed south toward Granada. But there are still some big potholes that you need to watch for.

As we ride south there are nice Volcano's

All kinds of livestock wondering the roads.

Lots of carts loaded with Wood or Crops getting ready to head to market.

We stopped to fuel up and Sherri attracted a crowd. One guy said his friend wanted to speak English.

We stopped at to find an ATM, and grab a quick bit of lunch. These guys on the bike stopped to look at my Bike, and I had on of the guys sit on my bike for a photo. He was beaming Then he grabbed a Chicken by the legs and they rode off!

Seeing more of life through my Windscreen....... These guys standing up on the back of a pick up..... Yea safety was not the first concern

We decided to ride south of Leon along the "pacific route" the main road turned off to Managua and we wanted to avoid the extra traffic as long as we could.... The road turned to rough gravel with lots of wash outs for about 30-40 miles. Yea... We are on dual sport bikes and just keep rolling

It was nice being out in the countryside riding through the farms.

Then we had to turn to ride through the outskirts of Managua to get to Granada. Did not take any photos as it is a sprawling city of 1.4 Million people. Everyone said to stay out of the city because of corrupt police and gangs. We just rode on through, with a few wrong turns due to the GPS not really having the street details... But we made it to Granada about 3PM with just a light rain that dropped the temps into the 70'S

Found Hotel Terrasol. Victor and Katya run the place. He was the executive Chef at Opus II in Portland during the 1990's and loved that I was from Portland!!

Great place. Was a trip advisor award winner! Wow I am moving up in the accommodations. They only had one room left with a single bed, so they arranged for a second room in a hotel nearby, and a place to park our bikes. It was good to have a comfortable place after the border crossing fatigue!

Victor gave me a map and circled places to see, bank, restaurants etc. Great help!! we tried some traditional Nicaraguan food. Pollo, Fried Plantines (bananas), rice and beans. Tons of food for 3.60 USD

I had given them my laundry when I arrived. the hot and humid makes for smelly cloths :) They had it ready the nexty morning.

Planning to stay and extra day here to explore and relax before riding south. Looks like I will probably ride into Costa Rica on Christmas Morning.

Radioman screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 10:05 AM
Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #1724
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Checking in and catching up

Wow, Mark, I just caught up on your post and as usual, no matter what poop you fall into you manage to come out smelling like roses and good people always seem to gravitate towards you Like I always said it's that good Karma you have. As we had discussed before departing ways I just knew when you got to Antigua you'd meet up with fellow rides as it seems to be the holy mecca focal point of all things two wheeled or not, heading on the TDF trail.

Looks like you met up with a good riding partner there so you lost one KTM sidekick and picked up a much better looking KTM riding partner Face it Orange is you new complementary color.

BTW, GREAT job on those latest videos, you really got a knack for that keep it up.

Oh and........ una muy Feliz Navidad a ti mi amigo, y buen viaje

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #1725
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Looks like you met up with a good riding partner there so you lost one KTM sidekick and picked up a much better looking KTM riding partner Face it Orange is you new complementary color.

BTW, GREAT job on those latest videos, you really got a knack for that keep it up.

Oh and........ una muy Feliz Navidad a ti mi amigo, y buen viaje
Thanks Samuel! We will ride together just into Costa Rica, then part ways. Different agendas. Has been great having two of us at the borders......

More connections and other riders ahead!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas in Texas! Enjoy time with your family there! Hope your feeling better, and are enjoying a nice big Hamburger.