Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #2131
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
What a great city. There's a point in time when a person is in Medellín that they decide to just stay. I know. I was close to that point.
^^ Took almost every once of self control I had and then I left out right in the middle of a rain storm to rescue myself from total damnation. That place is a trap if I ever saw one I was lucky but the place calls my name when I'm sleeping at night in my dreams

Still in Cali for a little while more...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #2132
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
radioman
Let James know I am doing my best to help with the Buzzard population!

this was near Yaviza Panama, he was eating a snake on the road then flew up straight at me with the snake in its grasp and we met a 60mph Broke the windshield and headlight! Damn you sopalotes!!
Have passed this along ! Good laugh was had!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #2133
Radioman OP
Moto rider

January 28th- 29th Still in Medellin :)

My Bike has been at Ruta 40 BMW this week waiting for the front fork to be straighten. They send it out to a machine shop for this work. Two days ago, I checked in and was told it would be another week So I went back down, and talked with David and Carlos. Told them to offer a bit more $ and see if that could be sped up because I had other riders waiting on me. And it is costing to continue to stay in Medellin. They moved the tube to another good shop and said that the fork would be ready Friday after and installed Saturday.

In the mean time, running errands takes up lots of time. James and I rode back down to the section of town that is about 4 blocks of motorcycle and car shops that can work on anything moto. Think it is called La Valladera.

Bikes every size and shape. Being worked on the side of the street or in the hundreds of shops.

This guy I had seen last time, sitting out front of his shop truing a rim.

James parked under the 15 minute parking sign which he did not read until we came back out No ticket we are good

Since I was waiting on my bike to be repaired, I had taken the fairing off and had it repaired and painted. The windscreen was scuffed, which back in the US you would have lived with or bought a new one.... But here, I knew someone would fix it for me (or they offered to just make a new one ).

decided to just get it repaired. Paid Just $10 for the work.

We also stopped back at the sticker shop to add to Annies wheel chair....

These are the two that we designed ....

Annie will be recovering for 6+ weeks....

Got back to Ruta 40 about 12:30 they close at 1PM on Saturdays. Look the forks are back on.... was a bit worried that they would not finish but Carlos one of the owners said that they would stay until it was done. James and I jumped in to help, I put the new rim back on, James helped the Mechanic put the front rim, fender, breaks etc on. Then James and I finished the Handlebars, fairing, etc. We left the shop about 2:30 ready to roll!

Had to run back to the shops to pick up those completed stickers and also my windscreen.

Looks back to new. All the bashing about I have done, but the bike is back together again.

And since I have been riding like a mad man....... New sticker made sense for the back ....

We got back to the Shamrock which has become the hub for moto travelers to stop by, and a few more riders showed up that were on the boat with Conor. Sheri Jo's bike had a major service and was sitting there. Conor had to give it a try

We ran a few more errands and had a very late lunch.

Conor Bought a new camera.. and as we were looking at all the features we had to laugh at this one.

Sitting at lunch Conor and I got into some deep discussion. Maybe about what is the best oil to ride with, or what tires are better

Looks like I was making a very clear point!

But we needed to ponder this

There were 10 long term moto travelers at the Shamrock. We were there late, sharing stories, watching the local Colombians packing the bars and restaurants around the area. Was like a parade

Our Original plan was to ride out Sunday morning back to the area north east of Medellin. But after a long evening out, and all the rushing around to get my bike fixed, we decided to take a full day off with nothing that had to be done. Smart move, as I was able to pay bills, double check my bike, repack and then rest!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 05:12 PM
Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #2134
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 534
I miss you guys! ¡Tomen una Club Colombia para mí, o mejor, una Pilsen!

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #2135
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
¡Tomen una Club Colombia para mí, o mejor, una Pilsen!
Had a few Pilsen at the Shamrock tonight!! We are planning on riding out of Medellin tomorrow heading back toward Bucaramanga!!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #2136
1TrackSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Wow Mark, what a great adventure. Thanks for sharing and I hope you're appreciating this adventure as those of us who are along do. Stay safe!
1TrackSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #2137
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,807
I'm glad you will be out riding again. Enjoy!
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #2138
Mustang28027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Great report! I am sitting here, in my pj's , wondering how I could possibly do something like this...how could I afford it, what would I do with my home, dog, wife...well, I already know what to do with the step-kid!

You are doing something few of us get to do... at best only dream about.

I envy you!
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #2139
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,318
good to see you came through unscathed-sorry for my Columbia miss, must have been thinking about the left coast up here
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #2140
peekay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Hey buddy, just heard about the crash, glad you're ok!! I'm still in Medellin, been out with the flu, all good but anxious to get back on the road again soon. Take care and see you on the road!!

Canada to Argentina (in progress)
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #2141
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay View Post
Hey buddy, just heard about the crash, glad you're ok!! I'm still in Medellin, been out with the flu, all good but anxious to get back on the road again soon. Take care and see you on the road!!
Sorry to hear you have been sick We roll out tomorrow Morning! Ride safe. Might see you done the road.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #2142
Radioman OP
Moto rider

January 30th

Woke up this morning to pouring rain in Medellin. We decided to stay in Medellin along with several other riders.

Had a good facebook post from a friend.

Ray Said; " Aint it nice to be able to say..."F" it. It is raining. I think I will just lay around today. You have a gift my friend. Very few of us have that luxury... much less, the opportunity to tour the world on two wheels. I envy you that. I don't envy the trials you have met, but I envy your freedom!
Keep the rubber on the road, Brother. Keep the rubber on the road."

Indeed the luxury I really have is Time right now. I am acutely aware of this, and count my blessing for this Adventure and journey.

Started the day with a breakfast of fresh fruit from the guys on the corner and a cup of Colombian coffee!!

Staying now at the Hostel in El Poblando area of Medellin that is a little haven. Just a block from the Shamrock Irish Pub, that is a meeting place for many little groups that are in Medellin, The adventure riders, Mining guys, and other expats from all overt the world.

With an extra day here, we connected up with Conor, Sherri Jo, Kevin, and Annie. Was able to capture a photo of Conor on his own bike as well.

He had this painted on his pannier on his way down, to help answer some of the basic questions of his ride.

Late morning things lighten up, so we took a ride down to all the moto shops.

Back to have some more stickers made for Sherri Jo, and Kevin needed a windscreen buffed out, and his exhaust system cleaned up. Conor needed some chain lube. This is the place.

Helping to explain to the artist how the graphics should look.

The artist applying the new stickers....

As we were having stuff down, it started to rain again, and I had not covered up my sheepskin seat cover Which would get wet and not be fun to ride with. As I walked back to do this, I noticed that one of the vendors I had met couple days ago, was out covering my bike seat and tank bag with a large plastic bag It typifies the great warmth and help that the Colombian people have been. They go out of there way so many time. He was busy working on Motorcycles, but he was watching over my bike, stopped what he was doing to cover my bike. It is amazing and brings a smile to my face in light of all of the violence/drug trade that you have read about in Colombia in our media.

Thanks to my Colombian Moto mechanic who helped a stranger in his country!! Loving Colombia!

Here he is as I came back to thank him, and he was back to work in front of his shop with someones engine in pieces.

Since I will be back on the road....... I figured that my friend LadyBug would be telling me to be careful and stop and smell the roses... Happened upon some appropriate stickers

Riding back up to the hostel, James on his 1200 really stand out. At a light this guy looks up. Then he and James exchange greetings.... I wave and give him a thumbs up!

We got a chance to spring Annie from her spot at the Shamrock. Any riders coming down this way in the next 4-5 weeks be sure to stop and say Hi to Annie as she recovers. She is delightful!

Young James behind the wheel

Had a great dinner in the main square.

Have been in Medellin on and off for almost 3 weeks.... Has been a great place to come and stay. Tomorrow we are back on the road again!. (really )

Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #2143
bg
Puppies. Rainbows.

Oddometer: 8,110
I hope that you have a good day of riding today, RM.

You and C. are in my thoughts.
bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #2144
Radioman OP
Moto rider

January 31st. A sad anniversary for me.

Today marks the Anniversary of the last breaths that my lovely wife, Chris had on this earth. She ended her journey with Early Onset Alzhiemers Disease which was both full sadness in the reality that those who loved her would not longer be able to see her physically, but also relief that she was with with her Lord God in Heaven and the suffering of this disease was over.

For those that knew, loved and experienced life with her, please take a moment to remember the amazing vibrancy of her life. I know she made my life better in so many way, I miss her dearly. She impacted my life and I consider it the greatest of blessing to have loved and been loved by her! Know that she impacted the lives of many others with her strong personality, directness, compassion and love.

May she Rest In Peace.

Grief and loss are part of life. I have had my share of these, and the emotions one feels as we experience the pain of loss can be overwhelming at times . Last week I started to really think about this upcoming date. It is just another day but how will I handle to emotions of this day. I was not sure. As I awoke early, my brain was in full gear with Memories of my life with Chris, The "long Goodbye" that we shared for many years, and reflecting back on this day 1 year ago where friends and family gathered to say goodbye. WOW. Emotions are like a huge rainstorm flooding my brain.

One year ago. I stood and gave the Eulogy of the woman I loved dearly. It was a time to share in saying goodbye, and I was blessed with Amazing friends and family around me!

Took a quick photo from my iphone to capture this day .... and lighten the moment.

Was so glad for my best friends coming in support. My childhood friend Brooke and his wife Bella, came down and helped me for most of the week and I cannot express the gratitude for there dedication, love and support during these days following my wifes' death, and all the details of putting on a Memorial Service.

Having Family and dear Friends with us was a great blessing as well.

Just a few more photos that I have with me ... The memories make me smile....

One year anniversary on the bench that we met on in a NYC restaurant

Chris with her son Jake.

Walking to raise awareness and Money for the Alzheimer's Association with her son Jake and Good friend Suzanne!

Time for me to get on with the ride today. Got to pack up and ride out of Medellin into the beautiful Colombian countryside. Will be a day of emotions and hopefully a continued onslaught of great memories of my past life with Chris, family and friends. I intend to be smiling down the road

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #2145
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Mark, I pray that God gives you comfort today.
Stay Safe,
Bob