Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #2281
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
That last video is fantastic! Love the music--where did James get that? That is some seriously good editing.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #2282
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Great video and as always, the great RR continues !! Thank you !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #2283
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Please Note that Radioman did slow it down and there was no footage of me passing on blind corners in this video. It's All Young James. I have slowed me pace " Lento y Seguro "

Ladybug
Even though your slowing it down is still pretty spirited for others I'll take it as long as you stay upright and return to the PNWet safe and sound when the time is right.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #2284
cantweallridealong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Make Him Stop Following Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Hey Mark...nothing against James but are you missing riding alone at all? You two seem like good riding buddies in any case.
I Know what you mean.... I have been trying to get rid of radioman since we got to Cartegena ....

Some people just dont get the hint
cantweallridealong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #2285
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantweallridealong View Post
I Know what you mean.... I have been trying to get rid of radioman since we got to Cartegena ....

Some people just dont get the hint

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #2286
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Video

Compliments to James on the video. It is really incredible that you guys are able to do the videos and fotos and motos.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #2287
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
The next morning .... Got some photos..... Welcome to my office today

If that's not Front Page worthy, I don't know what is.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #2288
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Agree with you, would also be good advertising material for Apple.
capeklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #2289
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Thanks Craig. I liked these photos too. Think this is a better crop though. Shows more of the red Tatacoa Desert in Colombia.

If you agree you can post in the vote for front page thread. Sorry to be sell serving but this is a cool photo that captures riding and doing Ride reports :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34180

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 05:42 AM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #2290
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,935
I've found it easier to keep the USB stuff charged by using the bike (GoPro, phone). I'm curious too about the new crop of solar chargers and whether they'd be useful for camera batteries (when you're camping). Of course, a small cigarette lighter style inverter would be just the thing for camera batteries while riding.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #2291
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 13 San Agustin to Popayan, Colombia

We knew we had a solid riding day from San Agustin back down into the valley then back up north and over the mountains to the west to Popayan. Certain roads in this area were were told not to ride due to the possible FARC or ELN para military. When researching about Colombia that has been one of the risks. As in the past there were lots of kidnappings by these groups as that is how they funded there activities. So were were aware and asked about this, and have not had any issues.

We had to back track a bit but it was a beautiful ride out of the mountains... The cooler temperatures in the higher elevations has been great for riding. The valleys are very hot (90's).

We road along the River, which we needed to cross over before riding west.

We took the road that had a bridge that crossed over this big river. But as we road to the bridge. It was closed for repairs, and there were tons of Military guys in full gear. We could not figure out why they had all the riot type gear on? As there were not too many people around.

But they were super friendly, as we asked how to get around this bridge out.

But first they wanted to know about the bikes, the ride etc.

and to sit on the bikes to get a few photos!

Then a group photo.

The locals were crossing the river in Canoes

The river was really flowing fast, they wanted 20,000 pesos for each bike (about $10 bucks) and the other side looked like a real steep get out. We decided that it would be easier to ride down the road to the next set of towns as the map showed a bridge. A bus driver that was also their .... agreed. The canoe ride could have really been an adventure but the risk of losing a bike in the fast moving river..... felt like too big a risk.

We stopped for Breakfast... The same as we have had for about a week. Eggs, Plantans, and bread.

it took us about 4 miles to find a bridge as the GPS and maps seemed to not be correct. But we found one, and it took us up into the mountains on some rough dirt roads..... It was now about 2pm.... But we kept riding through towns that were on the map and then finally into La Plata which had a greta paved road going into it. so we though great we will make Popayan just before dark.

As we came into La Plata, we stopped for gas, and this wonderful Colombia woman got out of her car and came over to share how she loved that we were in her country riding our bike! No english but her enthusiasm was amazingly sincerely and genuine!! We have been treat so well, but this woman was the best!

She handed Candy to James for the both of us!

We rolled out of La Plata, which was about 100 + KM away from Popayan. The road turned right to unpaved gravel road continuing up into the mountains. Lush green hills overlooking the rivers and valleys below.

Was some great roads as we climbed higher into the mountains. Think we were at about 7-8,000 feet now.

Mostly just us, some little 125 Motos everyone else rides and a very rare truck or bus.

Stopped to wait for James, as he is on street tires

Amazing views.

and some cool waterfalls.

We continue to climb up and reached over 10,500 feet. It was a rough, then wet rocky gravel road that showed we were still 30-40 miles to Popayan, and it was getting dark fast. We both had camera's having problems

The temps started to drop as well, so we stopped to gear up a bit.

As we wound down the mountains into Popoyan it was dark (oops, I have always avoided riding at night on this ride except a couple times, which has been a Cardinal rule. But the bridge out cost of 2-3 hours + the rough mountain roads as well.)

But we arrived into Popayan and after a few stops to try to find a hotel with secure parking we found one. It cost us a bit more but was about $45 USD including breakfast for the two of us. We were both beat from 10+ hours riding! And we needed a place to take a day off to rest and enjoy.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #2292
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,261
Im SOOOO jealous =) I hope that one day I'll be able to follow your footprints
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #2293
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Saw this video on the TV this AM on the local morning news that was doing a story about Motorcycle crashes. Seems like a good way to show how important a good helmet is.

or the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5TtosuBv28

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #2294
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Talking

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #2295
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,076
Hey Mark,

New to your RR and finally caught up - great following you along on your journey. Inspirational, informative, and entertaining.

I have much the same type of plans for myself someday...the only question is when that someday is! Having spent time in Ecuador in 2002 and then Patagonia in 2004, I really look forward to riding there and exploring more of north SA, the Andes, Atacama...etc.

Keep up the great RR, enjoy, and be safe out there!

Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote