Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #2326
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhed View Post
Mark
Aside from your overall 5 star quality report and pictures, I really appreciate the time that you are taking to include links to hostels, bike shops and important markers for folks following. Great job and very much appreciated.
Thanks!

I read lots of other RR It was helpful to have specifics on places to stay and then other stuff that could be helpful. Have a full index on page one for future references without looking through the entire thread.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 04:52 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #2327
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 274
[QUOTE/]
I read lots of other RR It was helpful to have specifics on places to stay and then other stuff that could be helpful. Have a full index on page one for future references without looking through the entire thread.[/QUOTE]

Mark ,most excellent way of doing the index. Didn't know you were doing it. Makes navigating your RR super easy and the fact that you update it before everything is long forgotten is making your RR an ongoing Nobel piece in the works. Seriously. Great job and very professional . The standard for future RR, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2328
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,883
Hey Radioman!

Seeing you at Wetfest and Hell's Canyon in 2011 seems so long ago! It's great to see you having so much fun and fulfilling your promise to do this.

I'll be back at both the above events this year. Hope to have my '82 airhead hack down there this time to compete with Mr. Cob, AceRph, and Tony the Tiger. Wonder where you'll be by then?

Be safe and have fun. I'm loving your RR!

Dale the Old Fart
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #2329
Colombianito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Radioman,

You a most fortunate man to have James along on the ride! He is a great guy and has heck of a sense of humor! Both of you must be having the blast of a lifetime at every curve! C
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #2330
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
Hey Radioman!

Seeing you at Wetfest and Hell's Canyon in 2011 seems so long ago! It's great to see you having so much fun and fulfilling your promise to do this.
Dale Have a great time at both of those events!! Even I do not know where I'll be yet.....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #2331
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 20-21 Quito to Cuenca

As I have been riding with Young James it has been interesting as I am 21 years older than he is. I do not feel Old, but have certainly reflected on the differences in perspectives and life experiences. At Casa Helbling one of the staff asked James; " is He your dad?"

Now Clark is riding with us and he is the same age as James. Young Clark.

Anyway off we ride to Cuenca to take a tire down to Brad a Canadian Rider who was having a front end wobble after having a new tire installed in Quito. More on this later.

We packed up and headed south. There is a National Holiday so everything was closed Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. So the roads in Quito which are normally packed were very light. But at the lights we still saw a few Jugglers. These young guys had fire

Before Leaving town we stopped to see Court from Freedom Rentals. He is a US guy who runs tours and rents bikes in Quito!

Now we had a third rider. Welcome Clark. Hang on

There are toll booths in Ecuador and as Motorcycles we have to stop and pay .20 Cent. Ecuador uses US dollars as currency so it is sort of strange to be using Dollars and Cents. We really appreciate the free tolls in Colombia!!

Look where I am?

We had a few spots where there was lots of traffic, but as Motos..... You just go left (or right) and go by. No one seems to care or get upset even the police.

We were basically on the Pan American Hwy (but there is rarely anything that tells you this, and if you come to a big town is just goes right into the center .... you have to try to figure your way out as the signs are pour at best). But outside Rio Bomba the traffic was totally stopped. And three lanes was somehow 4 lanes ....

We spent over an hour, jostling and splitting forward until we could see the town. It was Packed with the Festival and it was crazy. We finally worked our way past and headed south. It was raining a bit but picked up. Had about 3 hours in the Rain and it was clear that it would be dark before we reached Cuenca.

So we stopped in Alausi

At a hotel that looked over the town. Nothing fancy but was only $30 for the three of us. Had internet of sorts and Hot shower! We rode back into town and had dinner. The town was right in the middle of the festival with a bull fight going on.

The local staple is potato.

Clark took this shot.

Huge Statue of San Pedro

It is all tile.

James posing with "the Jedi"

There is a train called Nariz del Diablo that goes through here. Supposed to be pretty cool train ride.

It is a beautiful area to ride!

Clark (Clark White on ADV) took some awesome Photos of the people in town. Here are a few.

(and here is a link to his Blog http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...acation-begins ) or his ADV thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750935

Here is his Blog Link:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...acation-begins

Lots of local foods waiting for!

The views are awesome as we ride out of town.

Clark enjoying the view

We rolled down the road to Cuenca the next day. We told Clark how often we had people take photo and sit on our bikes. First stop it started. A dad and his 3 daughters stopped (we had seen him driving and giving us the thumbs up).
He was really excited as we had his daughters get photos on the bikes....

Then I got him on Clark's bike, his daughters loved it . And so did he

Got to Cuenca and met up with Brad. James jumped right in and helped pull his front tire. It solved his problem.

Rolled into center of Cuenca

Stayed at the Alternative Hostel. Decent place for $10 a person.

Radioman screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 12:26 PM
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #2332
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Hola Dave!!

Radioman. "Who's your Daddy?"

Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #2333
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 21, Cuenca, Ecuador Festival days.

There was a festival going on in town, including people spraying this soapy foam, and throwing water ballons at passerbys. Not to be left out...... Brad bought some water ballons and Sprays.

Clark got nailed, but was ready for more.

These are the people we bought our supplies from, and then became out targets !
After the Grandma hit Brad with a water Ballon.

Nice effort...

We were like kids riding around town...

Here are some kids..... We caught them off guard as we are were on big bikes James had a direct hit on this kid with his water ballon. (see the pink ballon heading for its target)

We had a great couple hours...

James spraying me down.

Fooling around with the rest of the cans.

James totally spraying me down.

Photos of the Aftermath.....

This is the spray foam that they sell everywhere for Carnival. We think it is just foam soap...

Radioman screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 05:15 AM
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #2334
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I have being really enjoying each and everyone of your updates!!! Thanks for keeping this RR as current as possible as many of us inclusing me are living through your travels.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #2335
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #2336
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Hola Sim!!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #2337
Radioman OP
Moto rider

February 22, Cuenca, Ecuador

We stayed here, at the Alternative Hostel. Just outside the old town. Xavier who runs the place is great! It is $10. PP /Night. Comfortable beds, hot shower, and a secure garage for the Motos!

Both Clark and James had oil changes to do.

and James did his Valve Adjustments as well.

It is Ash Wednesday in a primarily Catholic country.

So we saw lots of people coming from Mass with ash crosses on their foreheads.

We walked around town in the morning and the churches had 4-5 services during the day.

Lots of ice cream and snacks for those going to church.

Enjoying the architecture

These rain gutter downspouts were interesting.

Clark doing a bot of shopping for his girlfriend.

We just needed to get a few things done while stopping in town. Xavier from the hostel was trying to explain where I needed to go to get a sticker for my bike. Then he said, "i'll show you" . He jumped on his little bike, and road with me.

At the sticker shop I had one made for my bike that will show on my videos!

They make up anything that you want and it gets cut out of 7 year Vinyl.

One of the things in Central and South America that is different from the US is that there are repair shops for almost everything. This was right on the main square and was a TV repair shop. Bit messy but instead of tossing your broken TV, they fix them. With the low labor rate and the high cost of new goods. it works.

For dinner we walked back into old town square.

Had a great italian Dinner!

Then we went for some Ice Cream. Look Cerveza flavored Ice cream. Tried it but was not too good.

Internet has been a bit on and off, so it makes getting things updated challenging! We will stay here a couple more days so we can explore and work on some video editing.

Radioman screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 02:33 PM
Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #2338
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Hi Mark
Thanks again for posting accommodation details. It is very helpful. One of your pics shows what to me looks like a Zumo. If so, are you happy with the Garmin maps, and did you get the country specific sets? Keep on having fun.
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #2339
mopulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Carnival was one of my favorite times as a teenager living in Ecuador. The shenanigans to be had with water balloons, silly spray, commercial grade fumigators was fantastic. Thanks for sharing. That brought memories.

Have you tried a plate called "Fanesca." It is only served during this time of the year. It is delicious.

Following you daily - be well!
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #2340
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopulga View Post
Carnival was one of my favorite times as a teenager living in Ecuador. The shenanigans to be had with water balloons, silly spray, commercial grade fumigators was fantastic. Thanks for sharing. That brought memories.
Shenanigans is the best word for it! The 4 of us also engaged fully in the process! We had some great laughs.

There was one group of Water throwers, that we came upon, they saw us coming but were unsure if they should get us with water. I was in the lead, and reached into my tank bag and got a water ballon..... The "dad" saw me, and started reaching to his bucket..... Too late. Scored a direct hit and all I heard was burst of laughter as I throttled away James was behind me and they all unleashed buckets of water on him! It was a blast!

Then there were people tossing water from the rooftops on unexpecting people. Brad too a direct hit and I was laughing hard!!