Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #3106
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
What IS that stuff?
"Hello to the Queen" a layer of sliced banana's with some type of cookie broken up on top, raisins, chocolate sauce, and a strawberry on top :)

It was really good

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #3107
Radioman OP
Moto rider

JUNE 3rd, 2012 365 days on the road!

Hard to believe I have been on the road for 12 months now. One year ago, I had left my job, and packed up my house, then my bike and started this motorcycle journey. Some people would say I am homeless, Unemployed, wanderer

Page 8 Post 119….. Exactly one year ago!

Camogreg and I started out riding to the Oregon coast to start my ride and also start his cross country ride from the most westerly point to the most easterly point.

Having dinner with Greg and the guys that are renting my house.

And riding on the beach in Oregon.

Thanks CamoGreg! What a great way to start my trip and yours.

I now find myself half way around the world in the Himalayas of India riding. Knowing that I have my bike waiting for me in Ecuador and the rest of South America to continue riding in starting in August.

I have ridden over 40,000 Miles, 13 countries and have many more to ride before this journey comes to its inevitable conclusion. I am grateful for the opportunity and blessed by all the people I have met and interacted with over the past year! It is a chapter that evolves as I go, which

Thanks to all of you that have so generously encouraged me, sent me off in style a couple times, read my posts, commented and helped me on this ride! So many people that come flashing into my mind! Thank You!!

Taking a couple days to hang out in Old Manali. Getting caught up on bills and some other personal stuff, making room on my laptop to video edit riding here in India (takes lots of time), and just enjoy the old town. Took a walk at 6am this morning up and outside the town......

Seeing how the local population lives just outside the tourist area.

Growing all around the area..... But not anything that I am into. Know that a lot of young people come here for this. Lots of young "Hippy" kids. We have seen many from Israel, and asia but not really Americans. Have not seen my friend John around surprisingly

This woman was weaving on here porch. You see lots of people with sewing machines producing goods for their shops!

Kids playing soccer in front of there house as the animals graze.

Water supply as I wander the paths through the countryside

And you see woman with these baskets on there backs hauling all kinds of things. They are either wicker or plastic. Have only seen one Man hauling one.

Walking this path through the houses and signs for cheap lodging like (200-300 Rupee or $3.70 - $5.50) per night.

Storing up hay

More water collection

This woman was pounding the hay with a wooden paddle.....

Just really cool to walk about and explore the area. It is part of travel that many miss as they hurry to the next destination or tourist site. It is good to see the big tourists spots but.... Is also good to see and interact with the local people. A smile goes a long way to communicating!

Lots of guest houses along the way.

Had tea yesterday afternoon with Aliza and Aliza. One is from France and the other from New Zealand, but has lived in southern India for the past 12 years. Really great conversation about the area, travels and life!!

Aliza was bring some fresh Ferns to her friends up the hill to cook!

Back to the Dragon Hotel ..... They have a great little Rose Garden to enjoy. I moved to a room one level down so that I could save some $ Was paying $1,400 Rupee ( $25.90) upstairs, but on the ground floor it is $900 ($16.67) India can be very inexpensive in places especially room and food if you look off the beaten path. What is hard for a first time traveler here is to get a good sense of the value. You need to look around and ask to know the difference. The Dragon hotel has 4 levels and 4 prices based on the floor and views. 900, 1,600, 2,000, 4,500 (for the :honeymoon suite). At his point in my life, I am not interested in searching out the cheapest places especially for the short time I am here.

This is the waiter at the hotel Restaurant that has served me Breakfast. Chuckled at this shirt as I asked him who the other two were
He told me his other coworkers

Another great day in India!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 04:51 AM
Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #3108
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,895
Mark...congratulations on completing the first year of your adventure. I'm inspired every day when I check this thread. Thank you. Buen viaje, amigo.

And now, back to lurking.

"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #3109
Drtyfun
Here and There

Oddometer: 1,367
Mark, I look forward to checking in on your journey everyday! Thank you for taking the time to share the incredible experience you are enjoying!

Ken
Drtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #3110
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,656
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #3111
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
Weird Mark It's already been a year, seems time is just flying by. I have been checking time to time and I would say you really got yourself a memorable chapter going here with India. Two Enfields already and sleeping on top of the world....... well pretty close anyway.

You know you'll be the topic of conversation at this years HC gathering.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #3112
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 4,121

A year to remember, eh Mark?

I love catching up and reading where you are and what youre doing.

It's been great to see CJ as he's progressed from that young single guy to husband and father.
What a small world it is when we first met while on a ride along with a young man from India and now you're there.
And MoBill too.
I rode down from the coast of Maine just for the opportunity to briefly meet and ride with the highly energized boy scout.
And then he shows up with you in India. Wow.

How I wanted to be there with you guys! Honestly, I can't think of any better company and what a beautiful place to ride.
You know I love the mountains and man does India have them!

Ride on, my friend. As always, you do a fanatastic ride report. Thanks for taking us along. I look forward to riding with you again whenever you come home to roost.
Until then, soak up the road life and be well.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #3113
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 282
Thank you for a wonderful year of pictures and prose. I love the way you show the amazing vistas along your journey but also the pictures of everyday life that you experience. It makes for such a rich story to follow and helps me understand so much better the far off lands that I aspire to travel.

Continued safe travels and thanks again for sharing !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #3114
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Weird Mark It's already been a year, seems time is just flying by. I have been checking time to time and I would say you really got yourself a memorable chapter going here with India. Two Enfields already and sleeping on top of the world....... well pretty close anyway.

You know you'll be the topic of conversation at this years HC gathering.
The Hells Canyon gathering just isn't going to be the same without Radioman being there.

We'll be thinking about you Mark, and like Sam said I'm sure there will be discussion about you.

Greg, we're going to miss you too. Hopefully next year you both will be there.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #3115
BajaTJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17

Amazing, spent 3 days catching up on 210 pages of amazing travel. I hope that someday to be able to have 1/3 of the adventure that you have had in the past year. As a caregiver to my with (renal failure) my heart goes out to you for your loss.

Ride on Radioman, and keep the rubber side down
BajaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #3116
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaTJ View Post

Amazing, spent 3 days catching up on 210 pages of amazing travel. I hope that someday to be able to have 1/3 of the adventure that you have had in the past year. As a caregiver to my with (renal failure) my heart goes out to you for your loss.
thanks for joining the adventure!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #3117
Radioman OP
Moto rider

June 4rd, 2012 Old Manali

As a traveler it is great to stay in one place a bit and explore. You can see many sights that you do not see at home!

Since Old Manali is a tourist area, but not too many westerners that I have seen. Did see my first snake charmer
I am sure he wanted me to stop and take a photo for some Rupee....

As I walked up the hill away from town, there were some amazing sights....

A more simple life for the people outside of town, hauling wood, and materials to their homes.

As I have said before it is mainly woman that I see hauling baskets of branches, hay, or grasses.

Basic homes in the hills.

And a temple at up the road from me. All kinds of stories that go with the Temple.

These homes have been here a very long time

Hauling work must have been done....

[IMG]http://radioman.smugmug.com/Other/INDIA-small-uploads/i-HW9rPcn/0/L/IMG3429-L[IMG]

This lady was getting water for her cow.

Talking to it before directing it down the road again.

Some of the people around old Manali

Shop keeper

Nice Veg MoMo's for lunch.

Knife sharpener..... Gave me a big smile after I shot this photo.

Tons of shops selling all kinds of wool goods.

Have enjoyed another day here. Organizing videos and getting ready to edit my videos. It takes a great deal of time to work on them!! But worth it in the end. I am all packed up and will depart in the morning to Dharmasala. will be great to be back on the road!!

Radioman screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 05:58 AM
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #3118
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,459
Loving it man, I love that there's always more to see.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #3119
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,802
Great pic Mark .. Simple life is my favorite part ..
And the Snake charmer.. I hear they love their own Cobra...
The Cow is very special in India ..
The other shots are just spectacular ...

to B

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #3120
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Thank you!

Thanks Mark for continuing to share the Adventure in such glorious detail. Amazing that you function so well at those altitudes.... it can be a real strain on the brain to do the simplest things at 10K feet, much less 16K...your continuing attitude of acceptance in the face of physical and mental challenges is a true inspiration... it certainly fits the land and philosophy of the people you are visiting. Namaste!
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote