User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #3571
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 238
Thumb Following along!

I'm excited that you're rolling again! I have thoroughly enjoyed this report and am excited to follow along!

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #3572
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Having issues uploading photos, But today I rode into Peru and am sitting at a Beach side Hotel..... Enjoying an Adult Beverage listening to the waves crash into the beach!! Love it! Will get together a full post including more on Cuenca and Border crossing......

Life is good!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #3573
Aron31
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Having issues uploading photos, But today I rode into Peru and am sitting at a Beach side Hotel..... Enjoying an Adult Beverage listening to the waves crash into the beach!! Love it! Will get together a full post including more on Cuenca and Border crossing......

Life is good!

Sounds awesome. Can't wait.

My 2008 Klr 650 (orange)
Wife's 2008 Klr 650 (red)
Aron31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #3574
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Why is it that every time I've read this thread in the past week, I'm hearing Willie Nelson in my head???

Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #3575
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Cuenca

I really have enjoyed Cuenca. Since I was here back in March, I know my way around, and that is always great!

Started my morning at Coffee Tree for Coffee and Breakfast. Yummy

It is always great to meet up with other travelers and here their stories. Met Paul a retired teacher from the UK, and had a great chat!! then Agra (?) and Ruth from Canada who are living in Cuenca for a couple months while they try to secure some jobs overseas in the Mideast. Love it! great to meet you Paul, Agra & Ruth!

As I travel, I love to be aware of life around me. Architecture is always interesting....

And where and how they sell things. Motos for sale along with Electronics, dishwashers, TV's etc.

The main part of Cuenca has a cool church. Love the blue domes

flower Shop on the way home reminds me of my friends back home :ladybug!

I stayed at the Alternative Hostel.

Xavier and Juan are great guys. $10 USD a night

Then off to a factory tour where they make the Panama hat that I bought in Quito before I flew home. I do not buy many things on the road, as I have no room, and shipping is expensive.

The hats are woven out in the region and then delivered like this to the factory who labels and finishes them.

They wash and bleach them white.

They form them into many different styles and add straps, or flowers to them.

Aluminum Molds under heat and pressure create the shapes....

Always great to see how things get produced. These hats are amazing. Cheap ones go for $15.00USd but the fine weave hats go for $300-400. But they are really only meant for non rainy climates or they lose there shape. Guess mine will be more of a decoration.

Had all my gear repacked up and ready for the next day riding into Peru. It is a bit of a long story, but I had tried to get my Moto import paperwork extended while I was back in the US and India. But the central Aduana office said. NO. So as I talked to many people in Ecuador and Colombia I found out many people just "modify" the paperwork and it works. I am not used to this kind of thinking and it started bugging me as I returned to Ecuador and was thinking about my exit from Ecuador......

So it gave me a few restless nights as the day arrived that I would be leaving Ecuador and required to turn in my Moto paperwork at the border.........

To be continued.........

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 04:33 PM
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #3576
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Hola Radioman!

I have been following from day 1 but never commented. You have an amazing story and a amazing life of adventure. You have truly been blessed my friend. You are truly an amazing man for taking care of your wife the way you did. My hat is off to you. Your style of writing is worthy of a book. Be safe in your travels and may you find what is out there for you my friend.
SmilinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #3577
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
That's a fun ride from Cuenca to Peru. It's totally green in Ecuador then BAM! you are in the desert. Not subtle at all.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #3578
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Simply Amazing

+1 QUOTE=SmilinJoe;19638465]I have been following from day 1 but never commented. You have an amazing story and a amazing life of adventure. You have truly been blessed my friend. You are truly an amazing man for taking care of your wife the way you did. My hat is off to you. Your style of writing is worthy of a book. Be safe in your travels and may you find what is out there for you my friend.[/QUOTE]
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #3579
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Heading into Peru!

So with more than a little anxiety because of my biked overstayed status..... I left Quenca early and road south west toward the border crossing at Huanquillas. It was a 3 hour ride to the border.

And As Pete from Berkeley said, it is a beautiful ride through the lush mountains of Ecuador as you ride south.

Great ride.....

Then everything turns brown.....

Then into the coastal plains, lots of Banana fields ready to harvest

But in my mind, I still have the stress and strain of the border cross......

The last town in Ecuador, and another large sign post.

Max is about to enter into Peru.

Rolling up to the Peru border and just passed by the Ecuadorian Aduana office that was 3KM before the actual border.

Parked my Bike at Peru Aduana, then we need to walk down to the Immigration. Police watch your bike which is great. They were friendly and helpful. You need to walk past Aduana to Imagration which they will tell you is in building with White roof.

After so many central american border crossing this border is amazing! You walk into Immigration and there is the Ecuador Exit counter and right next to it is the Peru Entrance counter Awesome!! You need to fill out paperwork before getting to the Ecuador Exit and Also paperwork for Peru Entrance before going to Person at counter.

Then walk across by restaurant and make a copy of your entrance stamp for Peru. Then back to Aduana, need Bike registration, Passport Copy, License copy. Took awhile but they were friendly.

Right next to the Peru Aduana desk is the Soat Insurance desk. $35 USD for one month coverage. DONE!!

I'm Officially into Peru, and excited that none of my "worst fears about border crossing" happened. Rode down to Mancora the touristy Beach town.

The towns are different in Peru, lots of the motorTaxi's

Pacific Ocean on my Right. Smell of Ocean air!

Lots of flat open road, with ocean views.

Had one major Aduana stop that they asked for my paperwork. Then the guys wanted to get into the photo! Peruvians are more outgoing than the Ecuadorians so far! (Loved Ecuadorians, they were just more reserved)

Made it to Mancora at about 3:30 PM..... Traveling on my own, I am not interested staying at the hostels, as I am "an old guy" so I had looked into some other places...... With the concern about the border crossing I had a few restless nights and needed to have a place that I could rest. Picked a place out of Lonely planet, emailed about parking and saw that it was 3KM outside town on the beach and was $45 (I assumed Soles ) but after I checked in and had a few conversation.... it was $45 USD a night Oh well a splurge is good somedays (if I was in the US or canada I would say it was a huge bargain!!

Huge Room with a view, private bath, desk overlooking the Pacific Ocean and several pools to choose from.

Not a bad place to hang out and relax!

The staff guys getting some photos with the bike

My room is second story to the right. Crashing waves all night long!!

Starting over with new beers to choose from....

Expensive but worth it to relax and enjoy for a day or two.

Enjoyed a swim, and hanging out at the pool!

And a great sunset. Welcome to Peru!!

Radioman screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 08:14 AM
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3580
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
Mark,

I'm back down in Colombia, getting ready to start by ride down to Ecuador and points south. Once again, your RR is providing valuable intel and insight insight for me ahead of my ride. Who knows, maybe someone will ask me again at a border if I'm Radioman. :loll

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #3581
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
Mark,

I'm back down in Colombia, getting ready to start by ride down to Ecuador and points south. Once again, your RR is providing valuable intel and insight insight for me ahead of my ride. Who knows, maybe someone will ask me again at a border if I'm Radioman.
Hola. Michael, Glad your back and riding.... Glad some information helps. Enjoy your ride through Colombia and Ecuador they are great!! Will keep posting information that I learn along the way!

Radioman screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 01:20 PM
Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #3582
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Mancora, then Huanchaco

After a great nights sleep listening to the waves crash to the beach, had breakfast and then walked the 3Km down the beach to town to get some money from an ATM.

A few other people out in the AM enjoying the beach!

And of course it is a touristy town so this lady was wearing many hats to sell to the touristico's

Local rode his bike down.... Liked the photo

And some dead sea life on the beach

Lots of fishing boats

While in town I checked in on Boris who was just leaving the Hostel in Cuenca when I was. Boris is from Canada and on his travels down through Central America he decided to by a Suzuki 125 and ride it to South America . Young school adventure at it's finest!! Love it. Small bike, almost no gear but he was doing it!

Back at hotel to hang out at the pool and relax with some of the other guests doing the same.

Decided to have dinner with Boris and Jason from Ireland. Had a great steak dinner. WOW.

Steak was great about 2" thick. cost about $16 USd but worth it!

ended up taking a mototaxi back to the hotel.... that is the only problem in being outside of the main town.

Yesterday I was up early had a good breakfast then rode down the coast of Peru about 600 Km (360 miles) to another beach town called Huanchaco. This northern part of peru is flat and not really much to see and do. Since I am riding alone, I do not mind making a longer day to avoid staying in towns that are not so great to enjoy. This was the longest riding day I had done since Central America......

First I had to fill up with fuel for the day. After $2.00 Gal gas in Ecuador, it was shocking (no really I knew it was coming!) Gas was $50 Soles ($19.60 USD) for 2.9 gallons 6.76 per Gallon and we complain in the US about $4.00 GAl

Lots of this going down the coast. Funny to see 1970 Chrysler cars on the road....

Some cool sand dunes

Arrived in Huanchaco about 3:30 and found a hotel right across from the beach. Traveling solo I am spending more for a room, but in these kinds of spots I end up spending extra for a view room. Might get depressed with a room in the back with no windows. I think it is worth it for me to do this!

Hostel Huankarute. Really nice owner! was 90 Soles ($35.20) for this huge room with a view

Another nice Peruvian Sunset!

I walked down the street to find a bite to eat. and I see this bike..... I know it. So I ask where the owner is..... A guy at the restaurant goes upstairs and Mike comes down!! We had just emailed about my aduana paperwork, and I run into him and his wife Jill. We hung out for the evening!! ADV is a great place!!

Here is Mike and Jill's ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684537

They stayed here for really cheap :)

Walked about town today and relaxed. Catching up on some emails and logistics. These are the local reed canoes.

Local fisherman head out in the morning and get to work.

Local kids playing football near the sea. Must be a school activity!

Nice start to my ride in Peru!

Radioman screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #3583
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Peru

Radioman,

Still checking in daily on your ride. Great report on first day or so in Peru. Would be interesting to post a map once in a while so we could look at a glance and see exactly where you are, but, or course we can look it up without much effort. Just a thought. I'm from up in the Tx panhandle and remember when you came through Childress at 109 degrees or so. Our summer this year was cooler but still pretty hot. Just more rain thankfully.

Again, thanks for the great reports. It takes a lot of effort to do it but you have many grateful followers.

Take care,
Bob
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #3584
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorrev View Post
Would be interesting to post a map once in a while so we could look at a glance and see exactly where you are, but, or course we can look it up without much effort.
Take care,
Bob
Let me get this one for you Radioman
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...d4e3857113f2d6
Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #3585
Motorrev
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Map

TowPro,

THANKS!!!! Wish I knew a little more about how to handle these computers.

Bob
Motorrev is offline   Reply With Quote