Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #3616
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
wow, loved that last bunch of pics!!! Adventure Rider Thank you!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #3617
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
Oh my... i am .... current!

thanks for the several day distraction!

Radioman, you sir are very dangerous! planting seeds of my own undoing you are!

The first time I met Grant Johnson who owns Horizons Unlimited, instead of saying hi I said "you just cost me my job" and without missing a beat he smiled and said "yeah, I hear that a lot"
Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #3618
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Man you just do a great job posting and updating. I have been following for a long time and I hope all this posting and updating is therapeutic for you because we all enjoy it.

THANKS!!!
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #3619
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Being a baker, I'm curious what this local bread is. Got any pictures?
Not sure, but they are a roll that is warmed for Breakfast with Butter and Jam.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #3620
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Huaraz, Then onto Lima, Peru

Got to Huaraz on Saturday morning as it is only an hour from Caraz. Stayed a hostal called Joe's Place with a small spot for two bike. was 30 Soles (11.76 USD) for a single room.

Met up with a couple of English folks. Cress is riding her bicycle in south America and doing some trekking for over a year down here. Tom is checking out the trekking for a travel service based in Spain. Always great to meet other travelers!

We had a great dinner here.

Just 5 hours from Lima, and know that I need to get some things done while there including a Brazil Visa which can take a week. So I ride on to Lima Monday Morning.

Huaraz is at 3,000 Meters (9,842 feet). and the mountains are showing rain/Snow this week. I ride off down the "valley"

The air is cool and crisp!

Some Beautiful mountains in the distances, but mostly covered in clouds.

As I ride, I see that I am climbing to 4,051 Meters (13290 feet)

Wide open spaces. Loving the ride. It is great!

Wishing the mountains be clear ..... They are awesome to look at!

Stop to take a photo when I see a bit of clearing.....

Then I continue on knowing that I will be dropping down to the Panamerica coast road .....

As I descend down the switchback and into the lower valleys, I see crops growing and then lots of corn and peppers drying in the sun.

Once on the Panamerican Hwy, I come across my first "protest".

As I asked what was happening one of the truckers said that the Professors where Protesting.... They do this by piling up rocks and brush and burning to stop the traffic. I waited about 1/2 hour while the policia show up and clear the road.....

On down the Hwy to Lima.

As you ride into big cities, Lima is about 9 million or so.... it is always difficult as the traffic increases, I had heard the drivers where a bit crazy..... and finding the locations can be difficult. My first stop is to the BMW dealer to have a service done on my bike.

Miles from Lima the traffic starts to build....

But I had studied my maps, and was ride to the dealer fairly easily!

I arrive at the BMW motorad is part of the Mini auto dealer. They were expecting me, as I emailed ahead to Eduardo!! Who is the head of the service department and speaks english!!

I off load my gear and they call a driver to deliver to the hotel....

I found this hostal which was very nice .... But more expensive. 111 Soles ($43.5 USD) but I know that I need a good nights rest and I will need to get to the Brazilian Consulate in the morning to start the Visa process.

Traveling solo has had my expenses go up. So far I am averaging about $62.00 day with room and fuel and food. Just part of the travel. I have heard it from many others who trvel south that it is more expensive that Mexico, or central..... So I am prepared for this.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #3621
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 533
Mark, I am following along during layover on my trip back north. (Some of us have to work! ) My bike and gear are now staged in Cuenca and I can't wait to get back down south and get rolling again. I am loving your photos!

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #3622
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 652
Mark, certain parts of that last update of yours sound like they're written by a non-English speaker!

You sure you're not assimilating into the Spanish speaking culture?!?

Ben Carufel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #3623
JoDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Not sure, but they are a roll that is warmed for Breakfast with Butter and Jam.

Mark, those buns are all shell with nothing inside. You get tired of them pretty fast, trust me! LOL

JoDawg

2009 F800GS
BMWMOA #146900
JoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #3624
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Today was a good day to pick up the old book(thread) and see what Mark is up to. Good stuff.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #3625
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
You sure you're not assimilating into the Spanish speaking culture?!?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #3626
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Lima

Had a great room at El Patio Hostel. My own outdoor seating area, and large comfortable bed!

Tuesday Am was up early with my paperwork filled out online for my Brazil visa. Walked the 14 blocks to the Embassy so I would be there when they opened.

I speak to a man at the counter, hand over my passport, Printed application from online and think I am ready to go. NOT.

He tells me I need a couple of my credit card as well. which I did not bring with me. So back I go to get the CC and make a copy. Thinking this will get my application into the process. no problem.

He also gives me the bank slip that I need to pay $160 USD as part of the visa process. Yikes. I am sure the US must do this to Brazil visitors as well. So I stop at their bank and deposit the $ as well and bring the full receipt. OK ready again to get it turned in.

I get back and a different guy is at the counter He takes all my paperwork, asks me to wait, then goes in the back. He waves me back up, and then says I need 3 months of Bank statements to go with my application what why did the other guy not tell me....... Smile and head back to my computer to get the paperwork for bank statement, and then printed them out....... Back to Embassy for third time in less than 3 hours...... smiling after 90 blocks of walking

Ok third time has to be a charm.

OK Brazil Visa turned in...... Have a few other items to get done while I am in a big city. Lima has lots of American restaurants and businesses. Always strange. two doors down from my hostel....

I change Hostels to the Flying Dog Hostel that is right on the square as mine did not have the room available for my time in Lima. So I moved. it was cheaper also. 81 Soles per night ($31.76 USD) it is right on Parque Kennedy so it is easy to just walk out and have stuff all around to do.

Miraflores is a really nice area of Lima.

Thanks to ADV I met up with GordoJordo and his girlfriend Anne. We took a bus around Miraflores to get a little look at the city. Was fun meeting up with them and hearing their stories as they have been in Paraguay for a couple years in the peace corp, and then bought a KLR and are traveling for 6-8 months before returning to the PNW!

Inca ruins right in the city

And a few other buildings in town that are interesting!

Then the bus took us down to look near the ocean and large parks along the ocean as well as a coast road that reminds me of the PCH in California.

Parque Del Amore

and the coastline. The weather is cloudy here .... 60's like PNW :)

Had to go to dinner and have Cerviche

and scallops with Parmesan cheese. Yummy!

I am always draw to different aspects of the countries and places that I visit. In Lima many stop lights and crossing lights have timers on them....

Now I am just waiting in Lima for my Brail visa, and Bike to be completed with Maintenance. But getting some things done for down the line in my trip. Place arranged for Cusco, research on Antartica boats and deals, some other issues as well. Always lots of things to work out ahead of time ......

Radioman screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 10:26 PM
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #3627
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,114
OK Mark Now I'm confused, as I have no understanding on why you need to provide your bank statement for a friffin tourist Visa???

Other than that looks like your having a Good time . So! where's Mr young James and Posse?

Oh one more thing............................................. .....

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #3628
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
OK Mark Now I'm confused, as I have no understanding on why you need to provide your bank statement for a friffin tourist Visa???
It's probably so they can verify you actually have the funds to cover your stay while in country.
The US asks for the bank statements also when some foreigner is applying for a visa and a letter from your employer and your tax returns and papers stating any properties you might own and your credit card statements and your marriage certificate and your children's birth certificates and...and... and...

Nice to see Radioman on the road again!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #3629
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
It's probably so they can verify you actually have the funds to cover your stay while in country.
The US asks for the bank statements also when some foreigner is applying for a visa and a letter from your employer and your tax returns and papers stating any properties you might own and your credit card statements and your marriage certificate and your children's birth certificates and...and... and...

Nice to see Radioman on the road again!
We Americans are a bit sheltered from what others need to do entering our country. !

Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #3630
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Oh one more thing............................................. .....