User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #3901
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,802
More Great photos Mark !!!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #3902
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,444
Looks like you're having a great time .

Nice monkey shot!

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3903
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,228
Mark, your adv trip gets more and more swanky by the week. You sure these excluded one-time charges follow GAAP accounting rules -- to keep your budget at a nominal $60/day?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #3904
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Mark, your adv trip gets more and more swanky by the week. You sure these excluded one-time charges follow GAAP accounting rules -- to keep your budget at a nominal $60/day?
Hello Matt,

I have been including everything on my Per day charges.... Except trip to Galapagos Islands (about $2,000 USD total).

Had not bought the new tire and spent $180 USD on a full day wine tour. So that $60 USD for Argentina is going up quickly. But I had originally budged $100 USD to include bike maintenance and borders and shipping as needed....

That includes all fuel (which is expensive down here where the mileage increases because to the distances needed to travel). and of course the longer I am staying in the country it takes the per day costs down with these bigger expenses!!

Will update once I spend the next 2 months in Argentina and Chile to see what the real costs are. I know that as I ride solo at this stage of the trip, I am spending more on Lodging ..... But enjoying the comforts!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #3905
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
The road over the Andes from Mendoza to Santiago is incredible. I don't remember the name of the pass south of Aconcagua but I have never seen anything quite like it. Incredible switchbacks. The customs and immigration out of Argentina and into Chile were a major pain in the ass. It is a huge busy crossing and the Argys and Chileno's don't get along real well and are not very helpful, especially with the vehicle exportation/importation stuff. You can expect, as an American, to get hit with a $130 immigration fee when you enter Chile for the first time. Very important to carry that receipte as you head south. You will be crossing the border numerous times and you don't want to have to pay that fee again. Chile is not to be missed, especially Patagonia, but you could cut across to the Argentine Atlantic Coast to Comodoro Villa Darivia and then head south to Ushuaia from there and then come back up through Chile. Several ways to slice it. Enjoy!
Just a quick update on this. While driving into Chile I did not have to pay any immigration fee (think it only applies if you fly into the country). And took only one hour at the border crossing. The Argentina Immigration and Aduana were a piece of cake. The Chilean Aduana gal was great!! Very very smooth, no issues.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 11-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #3906
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
Wow, last time I checked in here you were in Cuzco Guess I better catch up. If you are south of Santiago and headed north there is a couple in Osorno that run a tour company called Motoaventura. I have their number on a sticker on my bike but I don't have my bike here . Anyway, they have stacks of tires and are a wealth of knowledge. Super cool folks if you are in that area and need something moto-related. They are easy to find online.

Also, the HU community in Santiago is a good bunch as are the BMW motorcycle club there.
Cusco was over a month ago.....

I am staying with ADV rider in Santiago, getting a few things done on the bike, including switching out the chain, sprockets after 22,000 Miles will be riding southward after that!

Hope you are well Pete!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #3907
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Hanging in there. Not having as much fun as you but Melissa and I are headed to Myanmar soon for a little R&R. Keep up the good work
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #3908
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 533
Looks like the wife might be joining me for a bit of my trip, thanks to your pictures of elegant dining and wine tasting. She likes to travel a little bit more luxuriously than I do. Funny, she wanted no part of it based on my pictures.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #3909
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,949
Mark, When you get to the bottom, I think you are planning a trip to Antarctica, but then what?
You riding back up the East side?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #3910
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Mark, When you get to the bottom, I think you are planning a trip to Antarctica, but then what?
You should go to New Zealand...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #3911
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Border Crossing

Glad to hear that is working out better since Feb of '08. They were talking about making it work better sounds like they succeeded.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #3912
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Plus 1 on New Zealand. Truly beautiful riding. Oh, and hi Mark.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #3913
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 652
I agree with those guys. Head to New Zealand. I'm there now, actually (in New Zealand -- South Island) as a friend lives here and I've been visiting. It's a stunning place. This is my third trip...and I'll be back many more times. It's nice to have friends with a great guest house to stay in, too.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #3914
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
I have been seriously considering NZ but still trying to work out Logistics. Have emailed about importing the bike, but no reply from NZ.......

Traveled in NZ years ago for a month, so i know what fun I will be in for.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #3915
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Not exactly sure what my plan will be. Have a very big mix of thoughts, emotions and logistics when in comes to what will be next.

The "plan" is to be in Ushuaia through Christmas and New years with some other bikers. Rented a place in Ushuaia for all us to hang out for that two weeks!!

Then will ride north .... Maybe through some of Patagonia that I will miss, then? Hard to say. If I choose to go to New Zealand, I will want to get there in February so that I am in better weather especially in the south Island.

Have also been studying the shipping logistics..... The costs are really high. Will float it out here .... But have been considering selling my bike down here ...... If I found a buyer ready to do the ride north..... Then fly to NZ and rent or buy a bike.... Then do the same in other places like China. Loved my experiences in India on a smaller local bike. Less hassle with shipping logistics and costs. But we will see.

Also have a bit of a pull toward getting back to the US and getting onto my next chapter, which will be a good thing too!! I cannot really retire, so I need to find some meaningful work and get started. That said, it will also include travel by moto. Like Riding in China in May/June 2013 with my friend Lv Fei! still working out this kinds of plans ..... but it is a long way off!

Right now I will just enjoy the next couple months and see how it goes. Stay tuned .... As the "World Turns"