Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #3916
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
The trip has been filled with meeting interesting people. These are the real gems of the trip!!

Hector, Matias and I had a great few days!! But as it is in this kind of Moto travel, we have different directions and schedules. We talked about this as solo travelers. You connect with others, have fun together but then when head back out on your own there is a little sense of loneliness and sadness of parting ways.

Matias and I headed out of Arequipa toward Jaliaca. Great ride in the high plains with volcanos in view.

Quietly riding along as we both fill with thoughts of the road ahead. Just 3.5 hours and we said Goodbye. Matias heading North and me south! Travel safe friend..... See you next year in the states!

One of Hectors Stickers.........

Jaliaca is a small town but was very busy....

Lots of markets, people in all kinds of vehicles

Moto Shops!

A few toll stops, but Motos do not need to pay. Most of these toll boths do not say anything about mottos. But this one had a sign, and a gravel road to go around. Nice!

My first view of Lake Titicaca. The highest and largest lake in the world at over 13,000 feet.

I heard Puno was not much of a town, but did have the Uros People and there floating islands. So I knew it would be touristy..... But decided to go. 5 sole entrance fee, 10 Soles Boat trip, then 10 Soles on the reed boat.

Not really sure what to expect as we cruised out 20 minutes from town.

Then the double decker reed boats.

and a close look at a "floating Island"

We get off on one of the family Islands for the Presentation of there lives, then of course the Gifts for sale......

Yup. We are floating. The thick reeds are solid but spongy.... you can see the tie down rope in the water.

The little Tourist show explaining the life of the Uros. Then the sales pitch.

Cooking pots....

Then we all hopped about for a reed boat ride to the main island.

Looking down on the main island, as the sell their goods, and food.

Storm clouds on the horizon, with some good lightening. The captain said it would not rain until later.... He was right.

When I returned to the Presidente Hotel..... Had a knock on my door...... Mike and Jill had made it to town!

We planned to meet the next day to check out Visa's for Bolivia and figure out what a riding plan would be. They were planning to go around the lake to the north but there was no border crossing so it would take some planning and work at the Bolivian Embassy.

I had another night that I did not sleep much. I can only think it is the Altitude somehow...

We met in the Am, saw the Bolivian Embassy, who was out of the necessary Stickers to give us Visa's ....... New plans.

They stayed here. $30 Soles for a double bath down the hall. Looked like a nice place.

Back together riding again!!

Max (the Sasquatch) Likes their sticker

We rode south along the lake toward Bolivia. At the Junction for Copacabana or Desaguadero We flipped a coin, since we just did not care which way we headed into Bolivia..... Tails. Desaguadero it was.

Last looks at Lake Titicaca on the Peru side....

We roll into yet another border town. They are always a bit rough and not real appealing.

As we roll up to the Peruvian side of the "fronterra" we see the Police the point where we can stop. Off we get. Always easier with two bikes as we can watch the bikes while figuring out where to go to Immigration and Aduana.

The Immigration is on our left. And Aduana was on the right. What is so different from the Central America borders is that there is no "helpers" or money changers rushing you. Seems so calm and relaxed!

The check out of Immigration and Aduana takes about 20-30 Minutes. Easy. 1/2 way done!

You will also have to pay a 5 soles municipal tax before you leave.

Then Into Bolivia!

As we get across the bridge, the police point a place for us to park.... Just to the right side. The Offices for Immigration and Aduana are in the blue building in the center of the street.

Here we go again!! You then walk around to the left of the building for immigration. Go to Office 1 and show passport and get paperwork to fill out.

As US citizen you need to fill out the Visa paperwork with passport photo, copy of Passport and $135 USD (nice clean bills no tears or defects, they check them closely). Once paperwork is completed take them to Officina 2 where the guys will take your paperwork.

Mike has all their paperwork and $.

Once they sticker your passport, you walk just across the street for copies of two pages of new stamp and sticker in passport and return to the Immagration guys and then you are done!!

Aduna is back at the front of the building and clearly marked. You need Title with Plate number and Vin number, passport copy. He signed us off quickly.

Mike and Jill done with Immigration.....

**** Be sure to check the documents to make sure they got all your numbers correct!! (Matias did not when he entered and they had made typo errors. At exit they wanted him to go back to Entrance border or La Paz to have it corrected..... He offered $100 Bolivianos ...... and they let him leave, but extra hassle you do not need!)

Done. Took 1.5 hours or so.

Border guards were interested and wanted to ask about the trip.... Had one Police guy make us sign a book then wanted some extra $. Mike said no.

*** As you start riding out to La Paz there is a police checkpoint that they asked to see documents and then wanted 5 Boliviano for Municipal tax ….

Finally on our way into Bolivia.

You notice subtle changes in the people, dress, and slightly poorer look and more trash…

Riding into LA Paz is a busy experience. The traffic starts about 15 miles from La Paz. GPS got is through the crazy t city Alto and then down the hill into La Paz. On our way in a truck bumped my rear pannier and we also saw 3 mini buses crash right next to us…. Very Hectic! For sure.

Mike and Jill in yet another exhaust of one of the buses!

Slight reprieve from traffic as we head down the hill into La Paz........

Hostel. Lots of one way streets. We had a list of a few hostels, and settled on Blancito which you ride into the entrance and lobby of the Hostel, which once must have been a very nice hotel. We paid $40 Bilivianos a person for a room .

Rode in over the curb, through the lobby, and down a hallway to park the bikes.

La Paz has an interesting feel. Hectic and full of life. We are in an area of shops, of all kinds. Cool.

Nice write up mark . I just came through this border a few days ago . I am thinking those "taxes" you got charged were a bit of a backhander . Not 1 person asked me for any tax . hope your trip is going well . I have a bit of work to do in La Paz as my waterpump seals have just gone
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #3917
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
Nice write up mark . I just came through this border a few days ago . I am thinking those "taxes" you got charged were a bit of a backhander . Not 1 person asked me for any tax . hope your trip is going well . I have a bit of work to do in La Paz as my waterpump seals have just gone
You will find everything you need in La Paz I am in Santiago at Martyn's Place

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #3918
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
say hi for me . luck I know BMW and was carrying the parts.
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #3919
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Mendoza to Santiago, Chile

Riding out of Mendoza and heading over the Andes to Santiago Chile. Time for another Bike service, new chain and sprocket set.

Heading a bit south and then west ....... Plains

Then up a valley toward Uspallata

Just took some photos while riding. Hard to capture how small one feels as they ride through this valley and then mountain pass.

Not much traffic, just some trucks and some buses.... So it was an awesome morning ride.

Huge valley with some snow covered Andes ahead. Air is fresh and cool. Just enjoying the ride a great deal this am. Heading for the Border with Chile.

abandoned rail lines and rocky mountains ...

Near the top you enter a long tunnel that goes from Argentina into Chile.

As you come out. The welcome sign for Chile!! The Border is a bit further down the hill (was a bit confusing as I passed an Argentina Aduana down the hill on the Argentina side. I stopped and asked and they waved me on up the road.... You just never know what to expect not having ridden there before. Figured I could always ride back if I needed to check out....

Then I ride up to the Frontera (border) Max needs another photo. You ride right into the building and park your bike near all the cars. Chile has very strict regulations on bring food, vegetables, etc so they are supposed to check closely.

But what I loved was there is a huge sign telling you what things you need to do and what order

You get in line to check out of Argentina, then into Chile. you go to the side that shows entrance for Autos.

Then around to the other side to Aduana

The border crossing took just one hour! Welcome to Chile!!

Then the treat of my morning "commute" 28 switchbacks heading down the mountain. Did not stop and take the photo as the curves were calling!!

Coming into Santiago you see it is a huge city....

Very modern. Really strikes you that the cars are all really nice, and all the big brands of Luxury cars are there. After the northern part of SA this feels like it is any big city in the US. All the structure, and " it all just works"

I had been emailing with an ADV guy living in Santiago, who lived near BMW and KTM shops. He has generously offered me a place to stay, and I will easily be able to get my bike serviced, and purchase a new sprocket from KTM (I have a rear KTM cast hub on my Woodys Wheel works rims!).

I find his house, then backtrack to the brand new KTM Superstore to buy my sprocket.

This shop just opened less than two weeks ago. It is spotless, and had a great chat with a man in the parking lot about my ride!!

Then onto the BMW service center which is not located a the BMW motored but down the road a ways. Met Paulo who is the service guy. He took all my information and said that it would be ready late the next day!!

Tons of big bikes in for service!

Was good to be getting the bike ready for the last leg of the journey to Ushuaia. Martyn and I stayed up talking about riding, life, travel and routes as I ride south! ADV community is amazing for sure!! Rested well and had a day off while my bike was being worked on!!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 10:58 AM
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #3920
adamhos
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wish I was there so we could meet up! I live in Santiago part time. Someday soon, full time
adamhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #3921
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 322
KTM Superstore...

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #3922
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
Since the "W" in "WB Motos" stands for "Williamson" maybe I can get a discount there.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #3923
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
Since the "W" in "WB Motos" stands for "Williamson" maybe I can get a discount there.
Maybe

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3924
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Mark,

I've been reading your blog this afternoon for a couple of hours.
We met this morning and chatted about bikes, KTM 990 immobilizers and programming keys Oh, and we saw some fine ladies too It was a great time, it's always nice listening to someone who's riding the world and has tons of stories to tell.
Do you remember I told you I felt like a hero when I rode to Ushuaia and back, and if I compare that trip to yours it's kinda you are a super hero? Well, after reading your blog I realize you are actually a hero, a real life hero, and I'm not talking about your bike trips; you're a great person (and not a serial killer, that should count!) and the kind of people who makes the world a better place.
Ride safe, hope we meet again.

Un abrazo,
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #3925
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,066
AWESOME!!

Slow going though...something makes me think standing on the back pegs with the front wheel in the air, would be a more ultimate experience , maybe it's the port i'm having whilst doing the BBQ!!

Great report Radioman!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #3926
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Mark,
Oh, and we saw some fine ladies too It was a great time, it's always nice listening to someone who's riding the world and has tons of stories to tell.
Do you remember I told you I felt like a hero when I rode to Ushuaia and back, and if I compare that trip to yours it's kinda you are a super hero? Well, after reading your blog I realize you are actually a hero, a real life hero, and I'm not talking about your bike trips; you're a great person (and not a serial killer, that should count!) and the kind of people who makes the world a better place.
Hola Jamie, Thanks so much for the kind comments!! Was a pleasure meeting you and spending some quality time outside the Moto shop. Unfortunately Martyn will have to wait on his bike!!

Back on the road tomorrow heading toward Ushuaia!! ! (yea your a hero out doing your riding.... and the scooter of yours sounds like fun in the city!!)

Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #3927
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Love that road!!!
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #3928
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Mark, if Rio Gallegos (600km or 375miles north from Ushuaia) is in your schedule, tell me and we can have a beer

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #3929
Zepfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Howdy RM, GREAT report I've been following for a LONG time, you've been at it for a long time!
You've kept a spread sheet How much has the trip cost to date?

I rode from San Diego to Alaska and up into Canada ( Inuvik ) in August. I tried keeping an expense log but it got too depressing with the high cost of everything, especially in CAN. I have my sights set on S.A. to complete the America's. So..... how much?? Gracias amigo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hola Matt....
Getting money and exchange is always a trick. You try to figure out how much you will need and cut it close so you do not have much at the border to re-exchange. I have been keeping fairly good track of my expenses with a spread sheet so I know that in Peru my daily rate was around $62 USD per day (I was on my own and getting single rooms with Bathrooms that added to my budget) and Bolivia was at $52 USD. This includes everything I spent including Visa's fee (big in Bolivia at $130USD, and bike parts, laundry, cerveza etc)

I use ATM's and once I arrive in a country, take out a chunk of what I will need for the country so that in small towns and villages I have money and do not have to always find an ATM. The other issue is many of the ATM's down here only give a small amount of money, like $100-$150 per transaction so you end up doing multiple withdrawals but that is how it works unless you find one that gives more!

I have noticed that you can get a better exchange rate sometimes on the street than the ATM, but for ease and hopefully to avoid getting counterfeit bills (which are certainly around down here).

Hope that answers your question. For a long trip it is hard to carry all the USD you will need so you end up paying the bank fee + international transaction fee of 3% of ATM withdrawals. I have an account that reverses my ATM fees so all I pay is the Int'l Fee.....
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #3930
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Mark, if Rio Gallegos (600km or 375miles north from Ushuaia) is in your schedule, tell me and we can have a beer
Gracias!! Will certainly let you know.......