Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #4201
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Nice sunrise over Puerto Natales.

The glow on the mountains was awesome!

Ken and I spent the afternoon the day before on the rooftop deck enjoying the views!

More Postcards sent out for little Reese. Hope in some small way it will help brighten their days!

We stayed here, and headed off in the morning to Cerro Sombero ...... Tierra Del Fuego

The wind was blowing .... hard to capture a good photo of how much wind there is but it is a great deal with gusts....

Stopped for a nice Coffee along the way. Sign post tells us how far away we are.

Did I say it was windy?

Yes but I am really south in South America seems a bit unreal. Still worth a windy jump!

We arrive at the northern ferry crossing the narrows of Magellan onto Tierra Del Fuego

At the ferry "dock" we meet up with Robbie from NY. He has been riding as long as I have on a 1975 Honda CB500. After introductions and such, he sees a "radiomanridestheworld" sticker on my bike and says; "your Radioman".... "Your famous"

The ferry arrives:

We ride on and off we go.

Look where I am!

The excitement is building. Just 445 KM to Ushuaia.

... Been away from reading for some time... Do I see right: a guy on a 500T Honda (grand child of the mighty CB450 DOHC) all the way from NY?? These bikes were considered fragile, gutless and not able to do anything (the 500 not the 450)... Wow!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #4202
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Also preparing for my expedition to Antarctica. Well....... My ship has come in.
Man, I can't wait to see how the GS handles in the Antarctic snow!

God Speed!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #4203
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
The Adventure of a Life Time

Quote:
Spent the past few days relaxing and also editing videos that you have seen posted on my thread.

Also preparing for my expedition to Antarctica. Well....... My ship has come in.

I am all packed up and headed down to board the M/V Planus

..... So off I go.

NOTE::: This means RADIO SILENCE for 10 days or so, as I will not bother with interent aboard the ship. Will have a few photos and commentary when I get back to dry land. Wish me luck!! Off to the big snowcovered continent!!......
Mark, you really are having the adventure of a life time ..... as are all of us vicariously through you!! Thank you again for sharing your epic adventure with us. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas if we do not hear from you for 10 days or so of RADIO SILENCE while in Antarctica.

coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #4204
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Phuuu finaly. Read it all. All 283 pages during the last two weeks. Now it feels like i know you
Thanx for sharing your travels and life with us. And looking forward to follow your travels in the future.

You have inspired me to do do a trip this summer i wanted tp do for a long time. Its Norway to Turkey. Not epic like yours but will be big for me.

Have fun and cant wait to read more

Cheers
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #4205
BirddogVet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Another Fan

Magical. Delicious. Pretty neat, too.

If I might intrude with a couple of questions?

How did you manage to get the credit card companies to forgive the 3% international fee?

Crossing the salt plains without a navigation point on the horizon, how dependant were you on the gps? Good idea to not ride solo there. Anything resembling a road or a compass as a back up?

Blessed, miraculous, in awe, mouth wide open....
Dave
BirddogVet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #4206
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Mark, you win the all time noob-thread-magnet award. So glad to see so many new ADV-ers right here.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #4207
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 479
this is not a page two ride report.

So, I call upon us 1,000,000 strong to keep this up by throwing out a RadioMoment. while he is on RadioSilence in Penguinville.

My moment is that RadioMan started his trip, his South of the Border Trip, at my daughter's school in Roseville CA about 15 months ago. Those 4th graders that were spell bound by him, his journey forward and backward and his moto, are now 5th graders. Probably 40% are in my daughter's class this year. We were doing Art the other day and a bunch of them beseiged me with " Where's RadioMan ????" So I asked them, " how many of you know who Radio Man is ?" Most of them did. So I asked the teacher...... " do you know who RadioMan is? " and she said....... ' sort of ....." I had the distinguished opportunity to take time from, Van Gogh, Picasso, Rembrandt, and other geniuses to review the RadioMan's ride around the US, Canada, and journey south. I had a world map to work with and just when I thought I'd done a pretty good job I realized I'd omitted the entire India leg of the journey...........ROOKIE !!!!! So, I reviewed all that. took some questions and got that warm, fuzzy, feeling when so many of them asked stuff about him. He's been here twice. Made a long journey here, from Oregon, to thank them for some artwork they did for him. They love him, He loves them. They will be so happy to hear he's going to see the penguins.

that's my story, what's yours?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #4208
paulotex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
So, I call upon us 1,000,000 strong to keep this up by throwing out a RadioMoment. while he is on RadioSilence in Penguinville.
I am a 44 yo who last year had been away from riding for 17 years. Due to generosity of a family member, my old 1974 BMW R90S was ressurected and I started riding again. I moved from Portugal to Oxford/England, where my sole means of transportation is this motorcycle. Radioman's report has been a great companion and inspiration throughout this new period of my life.

Riding in temps of -4C (like I did two days ago), doing 600km in one evening (Ox-Utrecht) or Lisbon-London are small feats compared to what Radioman does, but they were inspired by this report.

Thank you Radioman!
paulotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #4209
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulotex View Post
I am a 44 yo who last year had been away from riding for 17 years. Due to generosity of a family member, my old 1974 BMW R90S was ressurected and I started riding again. I moved from Portugal to Oxford/England, where my sole means of transportation is this motorcycle. Radioman's report has been a great companion and inspiration throughout this new period of my life.

Riding in temps of -4C (like I did two days ago), doing 600km in one evening (Ox-Utrecht) or Lisbon-London are small feats compared to what Radioman does, but they were inspired by this report.

Thank you Radioman!

I"m sure Mark will feel great reading this. And by me answering this we're back on page one. I know there's more good stories out there, Now's the time to get them out and about. The Cat's away...........
Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #4210
copout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamSoldier View Post
I"m sure Mark will feel great reading this. And by me answering this we're back on page one. I know there's more good stories out there, Now's the time to get them out and about. The Cat's away...........
I dont have a radioman story per se. Mark's journey has not inspired me to quit my job and go riding. His faith has not caused me to to consider changing my views.

What Mark has given me and many others out there an intensely personal insight into his personal life, sharing his loss, his feelings, his highs and lows and his amazing ability to triumph over tragedy when it could have been easy to sit in the corner feeling sorry.

Mark has introduced me to what a real man is. Strong, respectful, optomistic, cheerful, emotionally aware and thankfully adventerous.

My daily routine now involves checking in to read his exploits. He has enrichened my life by sharing his.

Current Bikes:
1999 VT1100 C3 Aero
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100....and hopefully a new thumper soon!
copout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #4211
korukiwi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Radioman blessed us for two weeks

We loved having Mark's wonderful company for the last two weeks of our Ice to Ice adventure as we rode
the Caraterra Austral, Ruta 40 and onwards to Ushuaia.
What a blessing for Team Kiwi.
We look forward to seeing you in New Zealand, Mark.
korukiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #4212
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,598
IceCreamSoldier:

After Mark left your school, he rode to my place in West Oakland. Now that sounds dangerous, but the hype ain't reality. Here's Mark after we went to lunch while he's getting ready to continue south:

He was at my place for about an hour and then he headed on. It was good to see him as he headed south. He talked about the kids and being able to share his plans and answer questions. He let a few kids get on the bike and enjoyed being able to infuse a new generation with a sense of adventure and a love of motorcycling.

Mark, when you get back from the icy continent, you'll probably share with us how many more people you've converted to riding!

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #4213
Vinz Clortho
Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirddogVet View Post

How did you manage to get the credit card companies to forgive the 3% international fee?
Some companies have cards geared towards travelers that waive the fee. For instance, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card has no foreign transaction fees. (I know because I work there) I'm sure other banks probably have something comparable.

2009 KLR 650
Vinz Clortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #4214
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
My Radioman moment starts with being hooked on another of his ride reports. It was the report on the trip he took the summer before he lost his wife to alzheimers. This disease has affected my life and my wifes with the loss of my great-grandmother and her father. Marks story was a ride that he took back to share with Christine before she was gone. He knew that she would not understand, but he needed that ride and needed to share it with her. The RR grabs you for sure, if my memory is correct he lost her that winter. I learned a little about Mark through his reports, he is simply a strong and amazing person, one that I am proud to call my friend now. This trip he is on now, The Third Chapter, is all about his new life and moving on without his wife of many years.

So anyway, after feeling a connection to him through his writing and his wifes' illness I struck up conversation with him on advrider. Once he begun heading south I immediately offered up lodging as he passed on his way to Key West. There was one problem with this idea........I realized after I committed to him that his arrrival was going to be after I had left on my own adventure to Prudhoe Bay in 2011!! You can guess the dilema I was in, my wife (fiance') was going to be expected to host a complete stranger while I was gone. I told about Mark and his life story, she read a little about him also. She looked at me and said if your gut tells you to trust him then I am good with it. It was a decision we did not regret. So Mark stayed at the house for a few days as I was on my way to Alaska!! He was a huge help with Angie as she was hosting the owners of a gallery that were helping selecting the work that would be in her first solo show. That is the wonderful person that Mark is, no hesitation to help out. Angie to this day still talks about his visit and it has opened the doors for other wayward adv'rs as they pass through south FLA. His visit opened a trust in her that didn't exist before, without some help from me and a good showing from Mark, she has found that good can be found in people and you can trust total strangers, with a bit of caution of course.

Anyway, I finally got to meet and ride with Radioman at WestFest in Darby MT, July 2011. Until then I had been know as the phantom boyfriend for Angie, I tended to skip many of her art events.....well at least a few, don't really mind going to them cuz there is usually free wine!! I spent a couple of nights camped with Mark and others and listened to his tales and plans in person. It doesn't take long to figure out that there is much more to Radioman than the Gnarly Adventurer we know from his ride reports.

If you get the chance find his other reports and find 'The Rest of the Story' about Radioman. You will come to enjoy him and his adventures even more!!!!

Radioman in my driveway, July 9, 2011. I was somewhere close to Fairbanks...

and finally we meet, July 23, 2011. Pic taken with friends of Mark from Idaho. The next day Idahosam met up on Sunday to ride north to meet Ladybug and a couple other inmates. I headed south towards home. It was a good rest and a good visit.

Travel safe Radioman........we are all waiting on your next update!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #4215
MCTravler

Oddometer: 16
Anyone wanting to sell their bike in South America?

It has been great following you ride South, twice now once in 2011 when you left and again this year, I had the bike loaded and was ready to go, but an old nemesis poped up (work!).
The good thing is that it brought me to Lima Peru, I may be here until March and would like to make the return trip to Idaho on two wheels. If you know of anyone selling a bike worthy of a trip back to Idaho I would like to talk to them.
Thanks.
MCTravler is offline   Reply With Quote