User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #4396
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Dakar

Brovo Nic pics, WOW what a spectacular world we live in..................... Not sure if you've been asked this or not, but are you planning on seeing the Dakar Race finish in Santiago on the 19th? Or, just a coincidence both the race and you are heading towards eachother?

Take Care
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #4397
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,614
[Then you see things being carried on bikes. How would this go over in the states?

Just catching up. KLR?
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #4398
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
What a wonderful hike! I'd love to be there right now.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #4399
KYMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
That's got to be one of your best jump photos yet!

KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #4400
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
Not sure if you've been asked this or not, but are you planning on seeing the Dakar Race finish in Santiago on the 19th? Or, just a coincidence both the race and you are heading towards each other?
I will actually be heading east in a few days to Buenos Aires ..... Will miss the Dakar but have some things to get sorted out for the next leg of my trip!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #4401
bg
Puppies. Rainbows.

Oddometer: 7,960
Love the hike pictures! Amazing shots and scenery.
bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #4402
Radioman OP
Moto rider

El Chatlen, Chile In Patagonia ...... Then riding north

Left El Chalten on a beautiful morning.

Leaving Mt Fitz Roy behind.

Left at 7am so that I could meet up with "youngest" Ollie so that we could ride up the Windy, gravelly Ruta 40. He is an 18 year old British guy who is in his "Gap Year" before University. He decided to do something very different from his friends typical Gap year, party in Asia and Ride a motorcycle Ushuaia to Alaska on his own. Also added riding it to raise awareness and money for Fisher House Which is a charity that helps families of injured service Men.

Charity website is:
www.fisherhouseuk.org

If so inclined go to Ollies Facebook page and "like it"

www.facebook.com/olliesodyssey

and his own web page: www.olliesodyssey.org.uk

He has only had his moto License for 4 months and not much riding time. So he is learning by doing And riding the long places on Ruta 40 as a starting point is not easy! He is riding a Yamaha Tenere 660

We rolled through Tres Largo, and kept heading north. He was doing really well although he said all he could do was stay focused on the ride, no sightseeing

We came off a bit of Tarmac and it was deep rutted with some big loose gravel on the ridges. I look back.... and he had gotten into the heavy stuff. Had to come back and take the photo and help him lift the bike, couple German tourists in a car also stopped to help.

He is fine, not hurt And the bike was fine as well. Just a few scratches and a hole in his small metal gas can. encouraged him, that we all have taken a get off, to take a few minutes and relax. But of course the confidence is shaken But back on the horse and kept riding. Few Pep talks along the way and we rode about 600KM all the way up to Chile Chico.

Some beautiful scenery along the way...

Then crossing out of Argentina and into Chile. Told him to check his paperwork closely, and sure enough they had something wrong. Back into the Aduana for the to get it fixed. Better to get it right at the time it happens.

When we arrived in Chile Chico, there were some amazing clouds!!

The sunset colors were unreal....

We had some fairly heavy winds coming up the Ruta 40, but the sun was out! Having ridden down just 1 1/2 months ago I was amazed how the road had changed, some worse, some better.

Was looking forward to being back in the beautiful Caraterra Austral.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 09:50 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #4403
einnocent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Destruir Los Señales Es Un Delito

IMG_0902 by einnocent, on Flickr

Took this a day or two ago. Now I'm in Rio Gallegos, headed south. Safe travels!
=>Karen Chu -- For all your graphic design and branding needs.
einnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #4404
KeithTurk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
What do you have for footwear for all this treking and lounging around? What are you wearing when you ride? Does it differ day to day?
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #4405
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by einnocent View Post

IMG_0902 by einnocent, on Flickr

Took this a day or two ago. Now I'm in Rio Gallegos, headed south. Safe travels!
Love it. Note : radioman Sticker on the 999 Sign!! Ride safe!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #4406
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post
What do you have for footwear for all this treking and lounging around? What are you wearing when you ride? Does it differ day to day?
I have my Aerostitch Combat Lite boots for riding, Then a pair of Timberland all around hiking shoes, and a pair of sandals. Extra to carry but to be able to do these other treks .... Needed the hiking walkers. Sandals just came out of the bottom of my bag today as the temps were 75 degrees or so!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #4407
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Ollie is fortunate to have crossed paths with you, Mark. He'll learn a lot from even a day or two riding with you. Got to give the kid credit for heading out on his own on an adventure like this.

Tell him he's in good company on the Tenere 660. Right up there with RTWPaul.
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #4408
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
As I hike out the trail, I meet another hike Named Drew from Boston. really great guy on a bit of a sabatical from work traveling here. We ended up meeting later for dinner and found out that His Dad is Ray, one of the Car Talk guys.

Small world....Loved the Car talk guys show. Would call in about a 1993 Geo Metro and get advice on, you name it.

One of the many benefits of travel. Amazing pics.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #4409
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Caraterra Austral

From Chile Chico we decided to keep heading north. We took the ferry to Rio Ibanez.

Awoke early. Ah.... Another Sunny day ahead of us!!

The ferry left at 8am so we arrived at 7am and got loaded right onto the boat. Most all the ferries just have front and rear ramps and a concrete apron that the land at. No real dock.

Bikes parked so we can enjoy the beautiful sunny day!

Youngest Ollie and Me as we head out of Chile Chico.

Youngest Ollie and his new Ruta 40 sticker that he "notched" in honor of his first "crash"!

Couple hours on the boat, and then we are off and riding.

The Caraterra Austral is a beautiful ride!! especially when you have good weather

Note.... Not a cloud in the sky as we ride north.

As we are setting up the photo this little goat wanders up. I tell Ollie, Pick it up for a photo!

New Passenger?

Then some other people stop and want a photo with a goat. We help them get a photo.

Then we ride ..... And enjoy the switchbacks and the view.

At the top of the hill we see some bikers and decide to stop and take a photo and say hello. As I pull up they see my Oregon plate. and one guy says that the others guys are from Oregon..... As Alain approaches we flash recognition ..... He lives in West Linn, Oregon and is on ADV, and is the part owner in La Provence restaurant which is 5 minutes from my house! I helped him years ago with an HID mod on his GS, and here we are in Chile.... Small world indeed!! His son tells me... he had been following my ride for 8 months Crazy small world!

They had been riding the Caraterra Austral headed south and had lots of rain, today was the first day of sunshine! Was great running into them!! Such a cool part of ADV is meeting, connecting and sharing the ride with others of like mind!

Then riding ..... The Caraterra is a mix of paved sections and "ripio". Reminds me of riding in the PNW

We take a coffee break in Coihaique, and Meet up with Tim who is an Expat Brit living here. He is a rider and on Horizon Unlimited. Sherri Jo Wilkins has had a break down, and ordered a new fuel pump delivered to Tim's house here. I picked it up and took it over the border to get it closer to her bike. Tim is a great guy with a dream of having a Biker BAr/Hangout/workshop here on the Caraterra Austral! Hope he gets this going!

Tim interested in Youngest Ollies travels and ride.

Another great and helpful rider!! Thanks Tim. Only wish we had more time to hang out with you!

The bikes always attract attention. These women were in the coffee shop talking about our bikes..... We had to get them on the bike for a few photos!

After a long stop we continue on to enjoy the day of riding in the incredible weather!!

Felt like home with the Mountains and Lakes

Back onto the gravel.

Hanging Glacier Ahead.

We arrived Puyuhuapi and stayed at the Casa Ludwig B&B Great place along the lake with a really interesting history!

And another great day finished off with a great Steak dinner!

Radioman screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 04:59 AM
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #4410
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,716

I'm still peeking in from time to time .. Keep up the great posts...

Love this shot ...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote