Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #4861
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,391
It was great having you stay Mark, thanks for cooking us a tasty dinner too!

It was such an enjoyable evening with you, Lisa & Simon It's not often we have near 1300 000km worth of riding adventures parked up in the shed

Enjoy the rest of your trip in NZ & I look forward to following your journey through Oz.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?

clintnz screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 03:45 PM
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #4862
Shustrik
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
glad all of you guys met )) pretty exciting ))
Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #4863
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Nz

Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #4864
West Isles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Great stuff Mark!
West Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #4865
Statdawg
Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shustrik View Post
glad all of you guys met )) pretty exciting ))
It wasn't too long ago when Lisa & Simon , Shustrik and Radioman's bike was at my home.
Statdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #4866
chekamus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
great stuff! glad u all met up, bet there was some interesting bike and travel talk at that table!
chekamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #4867
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
As I rode along the East Cape area, my mind was full of many thoughts. The bulk of them were about Life, Home and where I am on my journey. Having been on this ride for 22 months now, I have had this before as well. Hard to capture all the thoughts from these two days, but I can say it's striking to think about ending my trip and starting the next chapter of life. Settling, going back to some meaningful work, and all the "normal" things of daily life. Part of me really looks forward to this, with maybe a bit of anxiety about the process, but I also have to stay connected to these amazing moments that I am having and enjoying in this Chapter!!

Of course, every long term traveler that I have met has had these thoughts and feelings. They are not bad to be able to consider them clearly, and then carry onto to continue my own journey no matter how it plays out over time.
Hi Mark,

I really enjoy your odyssey and have been following it ever since I discovered it. Those are interesting and inciting thoughts. I wonder if the part of you that may have forever changed with travels, now never wants to settle if such thing was possible. Having a place called home where relatives and life long friends are, and home comfort amenities (not that you missed much on that probably in New Zealand) makes the need to return obviously strong. In contemplating doing something similar I realize finances being the other factor I suppose.
But everything else aside, am wondering how you would qualify these months on the road, as some of the most quality time you had in life or as a relief and finding yourself again, and did it help.

Kindest regards,
Vic

Dracula screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:59 PM
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4868
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Incredible thread - curious as to how many miles "between valve lash checks" the beemer is going and if you've had any challenges having it serviced thanks
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #4869
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Every time I see your pictures from the bike I think you are riding on the wrong side of the road. Then I remember you are in NZ. It is hard to get use to.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #4870
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I'll second that one sorebutt! The photos posted still look great regardless of the side of the road they are taken from!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #4871
Tiger-G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi,

Do Simon & Lisa still have their thread running on here ?? I've looked for it a few times to no avail ??

Cheers,
Graeme.
Tiger-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #4872
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-G View Post
Hi,

Do Simon & Lisa still have their thread running on here ?? I've looked for it a few times to no avail ??

Cheers,
Graeme.
I put a link to their website .... know how hard it is to keep up with all things and not sure if they are updating their ADV thread....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #4873
Kennif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Keeping left!

"Every time I see your pictures from the bike I think you are riding on the wrong side of the road. Then I remember you are in NZ. It is hard to get use to."

You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. In our trip through the Americas the only "left moment" we had was at a roundabout in Chile. Mind you I did have SWMBO riding pillion who from time to time whispered "rightie rightie" in my ear.
Kennif
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #4874
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
am wondering how you would qualify these months on the road, as some of the most quality time you had in life or as a relief and finding yourself again, and did it help.
Hello Vic,

This adventure has been a really great experience and time for me, no question about that! Hard to compare parts of Life, as my Life with Chris (chapter 2) was great! Of course I would rather have this back, but That is not possible. So the way life has been losing Chris, allowed me to do this Chapter 3 and follow a dream for which I am also grateful.

It has been a time to just do something completely different with my life, and the people I have met and been connected with all along the journey has been amazing!! I have met friends that I will be friends the rest of my life!! I also think it has been good for my personal road through Grief. Although the hole that remains in my heart from losing Chris is still big and still hurts, I have also carried on and have seen some hope of sharing my love and life with someone else in the future. All good !

But I know that I will transition into a Chapter 4 which is yet to be determined.... Financially I will need to find meaningful work to survive, but I feel blessed to have been able to take this time and money and make this trip happen. So many people do not have this freedom and opportunity. But the entire process of caring for Chris while not working at the "height" of my career has taken a huge financial toll. Again I am so very fortunate to have been able to take care of Chris and will find work to pay for my life even it I end of working until I am way past "retirement" age. So be it!!

I will cherish these days and the adventures that I have shared !!

Thanks for asking.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #4875
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman;

Again I am so very fortunate to have been able to take care of Chris and will find work to pay for my life even it I end of working until I am way past "retirement" age. So be it!!

You will never regret this, and a life wasted is one on a death bed asking all the "what if's". Risk is a funny thing, so daunting at first blush, then it becomes the fuel of the adventure. Ride on brother and Godspeed!
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote