Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #4876
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
damn insightful stuff here for sure! ride on RM!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #4877
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Well Said Mark......Well said. So, are we getting ready for a jump off to OZ yet, or is there still more to see there? Beautiful country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hello Vic,

This adventure has been a really great experience and time for me, no question about that! Hard to compare parts of Life, as my Life with Chris (chapter 2) was great! Of course I would rather have this back, but That is not possible. So the way life has been losing Chris, allowed me to do this Chapter 3 and follow a dream for which I am also grateful.

It has been a time to just do something completely different with my life, and the people I have met and been connected with all along the journey has been amazing!! I have met friends that I will be friends the rest of my life!! I also think it has been good for my personal road through Grief. Although the hole that remains in my heart from losing Chris is still big and still hurts, I have also carried on and have seen some hope of sharing my love and life with someone else in the future. All good !

But I know that I will transition into a Chapter 4 which is yet to be determined.... Financially I will need to find meaningful work to survive, but I feel blessed to have been able to take this time and money and make this trip happen. So many people do not have this freedom and opportunity. But the entire process of caring for Chris while not working at the "height" of my career has taken a huge financial toll. Again I am so very fortunate to have been able to take care of Chris and will find work to pay for my life even it I end of working until I am way past "retirement" age. So be it!!

I will cherish these days and the adventures that I have shared !!

Thanks for asking.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #4878
RoosterMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Great report

Hey Mark. Been lurking on this thread for the last two weeks, and starting at page 1, I'm now caught up! As others have said, I feel like I know you personally now and feel like I'm right there with you. I think there's a lot of people living vicariously through you bud! You're a great guy and I hope we cross paths some day when (if) you make it back to the USA. Take care and travel on man, travel on.......
RoosterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #4879
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hello Vic,

This adventure has been a really great experience and time for me, no question about that! Hard to compare parts of Life, as my Life with Chris (chapter 2) was great! Of course I would rather have this back, but That is not possible. So the way life has been losing Chris, allowed me to do this Chapter 3 and follow a dream for which I am also grateful.

It has been a time to just do something completely different with my life, and the people I have met and been connected with all along the journey has been amazing!! I have met friends that I will be friends the rest of my life!! I also think it has been good for my personal road through Grief. Although the hole that remains in my heart from losing Chris is still big and still hurts, I have also carried on and have seen some hope of sharing my love and life with someone else in the future. All good !

But I know that I will transition into a Chapter 4 which is yet to be determined.... Financially I will need to find meaningful work to survive, but I feel blessed to have been able to take this time and money and make this trip happen. So many people do not have this freedom and opportunity. But the entire process of caring for Chris while not working at the "height" of my career has taken a huge financial toll. Again I am so very fortunate to have been able to take care of Chris and will find work to pay for my life even it I end of working until I am way past "retirement" age. So be it!!

I will cherish these days and the adventures that I have shared !!

Thanks for asking.
Mark,

Your generously shared thoughts have enriched my outlook on life.
Back into “normal” life, I hope you will be able to continue riding long trips if that is what you will still wish after this long adventure

Thank you!
Vic
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #4880
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 284
Mark , I just got done watching "The Hobbit, an unexpected journey" which was shot in NZ. Did you see any of the movie set where they filmed ? Your pics reminded me of a lot of the scenes mountains, marshes and waterfalls, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #4881
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,993
Rotorua riding north

Was so great to meet Clint and Rosie the next morning they were up early and off to work.

That gave Simon and Lisa and me time to recover and spend a bit of time talking about the realities, logistics and experiences of being on the road for large amounts of time.

Was great meeting them for sure! Simon and Lisa.

I packed up and left in the afternoon to ride to Mt Manganui to meet up with Tony and his Wife Raewyn. Somehow I forgot to actually take a photo of us together Bummer . They were gracious to contact me and invite me to stay.

We hiked to the top of the mountain for a look. Cool place, and I wish time would have allowed me to stay longer.

Loved the world map in the room they had set up for me!!

Amazing see the difference in size of places. I have spent 7 weeks in NZ and ridden almost 6,000 miles. So much to see and do, wish I had planned for 3-4 more weeks

After a great evening with Tony and Raewyn, I was off in the morning to connect with a couple more riders..... You might remember one of them

First Meet David. He contacted me and wanted to grab a bit to eat. We had a really great meal and conversations about life. It is the perfect example of what has made my ride and connection to people along the way the most valuable! Thanks David!

and he offered to show me the way out of town and up the coast!!

After a bit of traffic, we were back on some great twisty roads along the ocean!!

After we parted way, I continued onto the Coromandel Peninsula. Was awaiting the arrival of another World rider.......

and soon enough...... In rides Sherri Jo Wilkins!!

We stayed at a Holiday park in Hot Water Beach.

Checked out all the people who dug holes in the sand to get to the hot water....

and looks like there might have been a turtle coming up on the far end of the beach

Next day we took a ride around the area.

Had a bit of wet roads, but no rain gear needed

Stopped in Coromandel for a cup of coffee and dessert!

Then looped around and back to Hot Water beach

couple of muddy roads...

Another small town NZ post office

and a few places to try and get a good photo

Brillant Sunset

Nice sunrise on the beach

Couple days of story telling and catching up !

And then we were off in different directions!! Adois Sherri Jo Safe travels to you!

I arrived back in Auckland so I can sort out bike shipping, service on my Bike, and also have connected with people from the Alzheimer's org of NZ

http://www.alzheimers.org.nz

I will be participating in a large Dementia meeting on Monday and then doing a public talk on Thursday night, so i need to get ready :)

My time in NZ is coming to a close. It has been a great place to come and ride. Great people, wonderful roads and sights to see. Looking forward to continuing my friendships with the KIWI's that I have met on my journey. They have all made this part of my trip exceptional!!

Will talk more about the next steps in my trip........ Stay tuned for more updates soon!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 02:06 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #4882
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 512
Looking forward to your Australian adventure

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #4883
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 152
Was great to meet and ride with you Mark! Safe travels!!
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #4884
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Am in Auckland now, and have been busy with some meetings on Alzheimer's Disease. I connected with the Alzheimer's Auckland and they asked me to participate in a couple of events including a public talk on Thursday Night.

Also working on getting my shipping plans set up for Australia...... Still awaiting final quotes before I can make my decision. Also have to clean my bike spotless again

More in the next few days!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #4885
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Polish that bike till she sparkles Mark, apparently the quarantine guys like 'em clean!
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #4886
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
Polish that bike till she sparkles Mark, apparently the quarantine guys like 'em clean!
It will be spotless soon

Old 04-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #4887
bhuwan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi Mike, amazing are not only your writing skills, photography skills, love for food but also you as a great human as I see and feel.

Your RR has not only taken us around the most beautiful places around but also has given us a teaching of being a good human. At lot of times your RR has made me shed some tears - your love for your wife is a great example for lot of people. More appreciable is that you are still fighting for the cause of her death.

My hard luck that irrespective of being a member of this Great Community ADV, for past almost 2 years, I was not regular at all and so I missed the opportunity to meet you in Person and honour myself while you were in India.

But as you always say It is a small world - so am keeping my fingers crossed to meet up with you some day somewhere.

Am a resident of Jaipur - Rajasthan - India and may I have honour of Inviting you and friends from ADV to do drop in at my place whenever here.

Am hooked to your RR and 1 last word " Am Loving It". Have Heavenly Roads ahead.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #4888
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuwan View Post
But as you always say It is a small world - so am keeping my fingers crossed to meet up with you some day somewhere.

Am a resident of Jaipur - Rajasthan - India and may I have honour of Inviting you and friends from ADV to do drop in at my place whenever here.

Have Heavenly Roads ahead.
Thanks Bwan. You have the spirit of ADV .... Hope that some ADV riders will visit you in India, it is always a great part of my ride to meet others.

Maybe we will meet on the road!

Mark

Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #4889
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Auckland.

LOGISTICS: As I continue on this journey, there are always logistics that need to be planned, decided upon and acted on. I arrived back in Auckland last weekend, and started to wrap up my time in New Zealand.

Had to finalize my shipping of my bike to Australia, also had two visits to BMW 1) to take care of the issue with my fuel pump errors under warranty They replaced the entire fuel pump assembly. Experience BMW has been great in helping me get this taken care of! Thanks to Sebastian the service Manager for an awesome job!! 2) had another 6,000 miles service since that is what I rode in 7 weeks in NZ

As the sun sets on Auckland, I cannot help but reflect about the wonderful time I had riding in New Zealand and the people that I have met along this part of my trip.!

I really cannot thank Dick and Dian Hubbard enough for their friendship and Hospitality here in New Zealand. It has been the highlight of my time here in NZ and know that this friendship will last a lifetime as I am sure that we will meet again somewhere in the world!

Knowing my story with caring for Chris and Alzheimer's they connected me with folks from the Alzheimer's Auckland/New Zealand when I arrived. This week, I was asked to speak at two events. Sharing our story with Alzheimer's disease has been a very good thing. Hopefully helping others facing the disease, and sharing some things that helped us live well through the "long Goodbye".

Last night I presented our story to a large gathering in Auckland, including some slides and videos that I had to put together for this event. It was a good evening, but I realize that as I awoke this morning that it was full of emotion as I relived the journey. I beat this am.... drained. But in a good way as I hope that I helped some of the people who attended!

I also had Sally from the Alzheimer's Auckland volunteer to show me around the area on the weekend. We did a couple of great walks.

Some waterfalls....

I even had a little rain As I have had amazing weather on my time in NZ never putting on my raingear while riding :)

And here I was posing with her son William!

and he shows me how to do a Radioman Jump!

On Monday night, Sherri Jo Wilkins came back to Auckland as her bike was still not running correctly and she needed to get it sorted out! We had a wonderful evening sitting on the veranda enjoying the Auckland Skyline and sharing travel stories! Of Course Dick would be glad that we also handled a few world problems as well

Sherri Jo got her bike back and running much better.

Then she was off again to ride south in NZ! Ride Safe my friend!!

As I have a bit of time, it is always interesting to share some of the little things I find interesting. The water Jug is a staple in every home that I was in NZ. Always available day or night for a cup of Tea!

and I was struck by the various differences in US and NZ cultures. Like the Car repair shops, called "panelbeaters"

It is fun to take in these subtle differences!

The rest of my free time has been cleaning my F800 like showroom condition!

Back at BMW for a final service and tire changes so I will hit the ground riding in Australia!! Experience BMW has been great. Note the brand new watercooled GS sitting outside to temp me :)

And then with the magic of the internet ..... I had dinner with one of my local neighbors Mary Lynn and John who live down the way on my same street. Small world!

Just continuing to clean my bike, book tickets and sort out last minute details for the weeks ahead! I fly out on Sunday Morning so I am down to my last 48 hours in NZ.

Radioman screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 03:34 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #4890
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 786
Hi Mark,

Just wondering if it is allot more expensive travelling in NZ than in US, gas, food and are there budget accommodations or camping readily available.

Do you consider continuing through Europe or part of it after Australia before your return?

Best,
Vic