Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #631
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
August 30th St Barbe to Port Hope Simpson

August 30th St Barbe to Port Hope Simpson

Started my day waiting for the ferry to Labrador. Was at the parking lot at 6am for the 8am boat. But the winds were blowing 100KPH in the strait and the 8am boat was canceled. was not sure if it would go today at all.

Mileage about 125

Weather: heavy winds from Hurricane Irene blowing through. Sun was out.

So it was a day waiting around!

What else to do but grab some breakfast and go online. The internet was a bit on and off....

You can see the ship is slightly blown sideways.

It was 11 hours waiting but the winded died down a bit so we loaded. It was touch and go whether we could all make it on since they had two ferrys cancel. But we started loading at 4:45 PM.

I'm going make it to Labrador today....

Underway for the 1.5 hour crossing.

All tied down at the very back of the ship.

The ship actually lands in Quebec at Blanc-Sablon. Then a short drive up the coast and

Finally made it to Labrador at about 7PM.

Decided to make some tracks and head north... not sure if I would stay in Red Bay or head to Port Hope Simpson

Beautiful coastline. Did not stop for photos!!

Got to Red Bay, and then decided to keep going. Normally I do not like to ride at night but I know there are No moose about..... so I keep going.

First bit of gravel road just after Red Bay.

Trucks blowing down the road as well....

Arrived in Port Hope Simpson at about 9:30 in time to get to the Alexis Hotel for a good nights rest. Too lazy to set up the tent at dark.

Some cool night sky. Really dark clouds (with No rain) and then clearing ahead!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 04:34 AM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #632
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,707
Thinking about you, Mark!

Hope to see you soon (WetFest?) and dream about a journey to India!
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #633
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,719
Looking at this pic, I almost feel like I am moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

Shades of Zumwalt. I'm guessing the speed is similar?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #634
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
Hope to see you soon (WetFest?)

and dream about a journey to India!
My plan is still to make WetFest.

India...... figure out how to join me......

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #635
Radioman OP
Moto rider

August 31st Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay

August 31st Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay

First full day of riding Gravel in labrador toward Goose bay. This is the remote part of the ride. During the first 100 miles I saw 2 other vehicles and two graders. The Labrador sign said "Welcome to the Big Land" and as I ride across it feels this way.

I have been watching my rear TKC80 tire wear, and it is not looking very good. Certainly will not make the mileage to Indiana where I have a set of tires to switch to. I was told the road was the most difficult from Labrador City to Manic 5, and my tire would be bald by then On the ferry I met Ken who just bought an F800GS and we were talking. I was able to call Keith at the Toy Box in St John's and have his fly a tire to Goose Bay for me. Awesome. Cost me a bit, but I will be able to switch to a new tire that will give me a better chance at not having an issue on the remote road, with not too many options to get it repaired! I am erring on the cautious side!

Mileage 265 Gravel Miles

Weather. Really beautiful day, Partly cloudy and in the 50's F but started to rain just as I arrived into Goose Bay.

riding out of Port Hope Simpson was beautiful.

As I ride across Labrador the scenery is great, Trees, ponds with this gravel road cutting through.

This part of the ride is High speed Gravel riding.....

Another ride report commented on the sign. Its called the Coastal route, but you are not near the coast until you reach Goose Bay

Blasting right along

Couple of graders out working on the road. have to be careful of the ridge that they created. This one was a small one.

I stopped one of the graders to ask about working this vast land. He covers about 10-15 KM of road per day. Has to drive out from Port Hope Simpson to got his section that starts at the Cartwright Junction back toward Port Hope Simpson. Always good to learn about the locals. He told me it was a great job!

Some of the grading pops up some big rocks!

if you hit one it could be very bad

But this section of grading smelled great!! The deep earth aroma filling the air, and made me smile!

Saw some casualties of the road.

At one point my GPS decided that there was no road, so it could not route me

could hear this truck coming. Throwing lots of dust up. Have read about accidents as you cannot see through the dust. Time to slow down and be careful!

The grader Beams got bigger at places.

clouds developing as I get near Goose Bay!

About 80 Miles outside of Goose Bay I saw Molly who is from Maine riding her Yamaha 200. Stopped to say Hi!!

She was great. Out riding, they are farmers and her Husband said .... Go! enjoy take your time, while he managed the farm. She had her bike stolen in St John's and they had started to strip the bike. The "ridetherock" folks helped her out and got the bike back, but much of her gear was gone. They took up a collection, and got some Harley Bags, gear etc to get her on her way. It is amazing what strangers will do for you while your on the road. She was so thankful!!

And I loved the "maine redneck" handguards

What was cool, was that she was enjoying the time on the road. We talked about riding in India... More information for me trip She was taking her time riding 35 MPH along. She asked me how fast I was riding Slightly faster than thet

Hopefully I will see her in Goose Bay!

Riding Solo has many benefits. But it also it a time of solitude and reflection on life. I have noticed that I have not gravitated to camping on my own. As I pulled into Goose Bay, I decided to get a room. It is certainly much more expensive, I have had a slight sore throat that past couple days and wanted to make sure to get some rest. And setting up my tent in the rain just did not sound too good to me.

After I get the North American section of my ride done, I will list some stats including costs, mileage, etc. Canada is certainly expensive with Gas averaging over $5.00 per Gal, and the motels are over $100. (where I can find motels in the states for around $50.) But the friendly people and riding have been great!!

More on all this later. Time to check on my tire arrival and get it installed!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #636
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Sept 1st Goose Bay

In Goose Bay this AM. My tire arrived last night and I am heading down to Frencies to have them mount my tire.

Here is the TKC80 after just 3,000K.. Too much pavement at speed and they wear too quickly. It would not make the 1,500- miles to my other tire. Was able to get a New Heindenau K60 so we will see how that goes.

Did a ride around town this morning.

Nice day over Goose Bay. Looks like i hit good weather !! look at that Blue Sky!!

Ok .... still smelling the flowers. Gerbers look good.

Ok off to the tire shop to have my tire changed!! Then back on the Trans Labrador Hwy for 360 miles of gravel.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #637
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Mark, did you get the tire from Jody? I look forward to your report on it. I'm thinking of a set for my 'Strom.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #638
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 500

That is great!
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #639
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,541
Keep those flowers coming, that way I know you're slowing down at least for a few minutes.

Great story about Molly. I love seeing stories where people help strangers out of the goodness of their hearts. I still believe there are more good people out there than the bad people we hear so much about.

Looking forward to more pictures and stories. You're never far from my thoughts.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #640
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
Mark, did you get the tire from Jody? I look forward to your report on it. I'm thinking of a set for my 'Strom.
Hello John,

No I did not order from Jody, as I needed one overnighted. I used Toy Box in St John's NF (they had a few direct one stop flights per day) and Keith was able to get it shipped right out to arrive last night. That way I could put it on this am.

So far I am liking the tire. We will see what mileage I get riding fast and then hitting pavement.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #641
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 59,259
Hi ya Mark .......just wanted to let you know we are still keeping tabs on ya

PB
Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #642
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
Hi ya Mark .......just wanted to let you know we are still keeping tabs on ya

PB
Thanks PB and Hutch451 It is great you know you are along!! Hope all is well for you! Say Hello to your family for me!

until we meet again.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #643
Radioman OP
Moto rider

September 1st Goose Bay, NL to Labrador City

September 1st Goose Bay, NL to Labrador City, NL

More of the Trans Labrador Hwy which connects the main cities in Labrador. It is a very big place and remote as you cross. They are working on the road to get it paved but still much is gravel. Started out of Goose bay with 60 miles of pavement, then gravel almost to Churchill falls. Then a bit of pavement before a rougher section that they are preparing for paving. It is all pretty much "high speed" gravel riding on a dual sport bike. Just have to be careful of the oncoming trucks and all the dust they kick up, and some of the potholes and slightly deeper gravel newly graded.

Mileage: about 360 miles (200 + gravel rest pavement)

Weather: wow. Sunny Labrador started out in the mid 50's F and arrive to high 60's in Lab City.

The tire I had order from Keith at The Toy Box in St John's did indeed make the flight and got into Goose Bay last night!
Thanks Keith so much for expediting this for me!! Awesome.

Frenchies in Goose Bay had agreed to install it for me in the morning. I spoke with Marty and he had it picked up at the Airport cargo office for me, and then I stopped in and pulled my rim off.

I have done this so many times, that it really only takes me 5 minutes to pull the rim off. Think that it surprises people

They had the new tire. and were great about breaking right in to get it mounted for me!

Back on the bike in less than 30 minutes

Marty and Greg came out to see how it was coming along, and were surprised that it was already back on the bike.
Snapped a photo of Greg after he got me a Frenchies Sticker for my bike

As I am telling them about my journey .... Marty asks about how I can afford this kind of trip (get that alot!) so I have to explain about my life with Chris, Caring for her, and the briefness of our lives. I have made a choice to adventure ride RTW as my life choice. I have been very fortunate to have lived debt free, made some money, been able to Care for Chris and survive to this point. after we are talking awhile, Marty looks at me , and says "our labor for the tire change is on us!) The kindness of "strangers" along the way has been amazing. Thanks Marty and they guys at Frenchies in Goose Bay, NL. I will never forget!

What I am learning is that showing kindness to others is a great blessing (I knew this already but being on the receiving end is very different!). It should inspire all of us to reach out and help others in any way that we can. Simple act but with great blessings!!

Also met this Man and his wife while waiting for the ferry. He is a missionary to the native people of the area who have big issues with Alcohol and suicides. I was about to leave the hotel and saw them again. He and his wife prayed with me for Safety on the ride. Very cool. Thanks!

On the road by 10am, hoping to make the Churchills Falls Power Plant tour at 1:30. 2nd largest power plant in NA.

Starts out as 60 miles of pavement. with the normal warning signs

Then the road turns back to gravel. Hard packed in most places, but then with "marbles" in others.

The trucks throw up lots of dust. You can see how the vision of the road disappears as they go by.

But note.... Blue sky!

Lots of rock that they are blasting through and building up the road with.

Lots of water all along. The roadbed is raised with lots of culverts under the roadway.

Arrive at the power plant, and head into town to see about the 1:30 Tour. At city hall, I talk to a woman, and right now they have no tour guide. One left and another is off on vacation Bummer. She gave me a map and brochure about the powerplant. They is some interesting and controversial issues around the redirecting of the water for the power plant.

Wiki info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchi...rating_Station

I rode up along the levee .

Lots of power coming out of this plant.

Churchills Falls in a company town. The power plant needs all the workers here to run it.

Ok...back on the road to Labrador city.

I was told the road would be a bit rough heading out of town. They are working hard to get this section ready to pave.

Some of the road is like this.

You see some cars but only a couple dozen all day. Mostly trucks.

About 18KM outside of Churchill Falls, is the actual falls. This shot looks down from teh bridge

Fairly high up

glad I do not mind heights

I stopped to take the 25 minute walk down to see the actual falls! And ran into a couple other motorcyclist. Michael or Sillymike on ADV and his gal. His KTM was having electrical issues (she was riding an 800GS and smiling with a french accent...it's a KTM)

Then down the trail I go.

Felt like a bit of a nature hike....

Then rewarded with a really nice view.

and then the falls with the bridge in the background. (you can see it used to be huge before the water was diverted to the power plant)

Then back on the road for more gravel. Just had to watch out for the grader berms.

Made it to Labrador city late afternoon. Time to rest and get something to eat.

Stopped in to drop off the Tire that Ken loaned me to carry just in case I could not get the tire flown in. He runs the furniture store in town and It was a pleasure to meet him and his family on the ferry. Again the kindness of strangers is amazing!! Ken Thank You!

Then a nice pizza dinner....

Got settled into a B&B in town. Cheaper than the hotel. Got another good nights rest as I will be riding hard the next few days as I continue to ride west.

Labrador city is another Company Town as the Mining company is the driving force here. Had some interesting discussions with Ken about the worker dynamic in town if they are not working for the mining company.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #644
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,153
Mark, one heck of a trip. Enjoy the ride back to PDX. You have seen and taken pics of some wonderful sights and people along the way.

Till next time.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #645
Kirt
Biker Dude

Oddometer: 23
Mark, Your on a great adventure. Enjoying the report.
Thanks for taking us along and be well.

See ya down the road…..
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote