Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #991
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
I was all hot to get a 650 or an 800 not so much now. I have read quite a few reports on them having a boat load of trouble, some taken care of by BMW and some not. Truely a cool bike but I dont think I could take a major break-down with the grace you have. Looks like another KLR in my furture, now get going on that RTW.

I am very sure that BMW will make this right! after all they do have reputation to maintain. Now let's address the issue of him (Radioman) taking this so cool i.e "...with the grace you have." Truly what good does it do you to go off,... seriously, your blood pressure goes through the roof your wanting to vent anger by kicking the dog punching a wall, etc, etc, and only in the end you still have the issue to deal with. Cursing out the dealership your at is like cursing out the clerk at the gas station over the cost of gas!

You really have to understand what Radioman has been through in his life, I assure you this is nothing more than a timeline set back. Now all that said I stumbled onto a video I found to be interesting (listen to the guy's conversation while riding about his friend's 800

Makes me ponder..

Again no one is hurt it's an unfortunate mechanical setback that true should have not happened but thankfully not in the middle of Timbuktu.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 10:26 AM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #992
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Truly what good does it do you to go off,... seriously, your blood pressure goes through the roof your wanting to vent anger by kicking the dog punching a wall, etc, etc, and only in the end you still have the issue to deal with. Cursing out the dealership your at is like cursing out the clerk at the gas station over the cost of gas!
One must remember that these people are just trying to do their jobs. It ain't nuthin' personal...so don't make it that. By not going off on them, I can assure you that they'll be ALOT more inclined to help you through your situation. (I believe that Radioman has this dialed in.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
I was all hot to get a 650 or an 800 not so much now. I have read quite a few reports on them having a boat load of trouble, some taken care of by BMW and some not.
x2

I recently rode my buddy's Triumph Tiger 800 XC. WOW...does that thing handle beautifully!!

(sorry for the hyjack)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #993
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
...(listen to the guy's conversation while ridieng about his friend's 800

Makes me ponder..
That guy must have ridden the hell of it.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #994
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
October 10th-16th Seattle/Portland/Seattle

Have not written much the last week as I have been busy seeing family and friends. I stayed with my Brother and his wife and kids. Was great to see them. The kids are full of energy and wanted "uncle Mark" be involved in all the fun games around the house.

My older brother got them hooked on Angry Birds on his last visit (i have never played the game...not my thing). Eddie held up her bird, says; "Angry Bird Power" it was very cute

Her little brother also wanted in on the photos

Helped my brother with a chore at home.

and somehow I got the coveted Rat on my bed.

While I was in Seattle I also got to see my childhood friend Steve and his daughter Lucy. I am very blessed to have friendships that go back to when I was a child. They had stood the test of time, even if we no longer live in the same places. We catch up easily with each others lives.

Just think Lucy will be a couple years older next time I see her!

Then I head back down to Portland to catch up with childhood friend Brooke and his wife Deb as they visit another friend Diana.

Had a great evening of dinner, conversation and some wine

Had a special treat of a fancy bottle of wine...

Brooke checking it out before we indulge

Great spending time with good friends. Truly I have been blessed with great friends in my life. Moments to be cherished.

Was hoping to have my 1150GSA to ride for the weekend, but I took it in last week to BMW of Tigard for a new front Ball joint and steering head bearing. The examined it and the front A frame is bent (know i did this on OBDR back in 2008). So no parts available in the USA. Only in Germany sounds like my recent story. No bike to ride long distance, so I drive up to south Whidbey Island to relax for the weekend.

Arrive to a beautiful sunset. (sorry for the bad photos...just did not want to stop).

Taking the weekend to just stop, relax and reflect on life. It is strange being back in town as I was not planning to be here for 1-2 years. Since I have leased my house, and all my routines are gone..... It is strange to be here. Also reflecting on the life I had and how it is mostly all gone Just the reality of my life. Have many blessing to be thankful for, and the adventure that I am on, so that is all good. But I really miss Chris and the relationship that we had together.

While on the road these feelings fade away, as I engage in the journey. Looking forward to being back on the road

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #995
fdawg528
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
in

just finished catching up on the rr im in
fdawg528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #996
Reddog*
^ "Look up"

Oddometer: 2,670
Mark it was nice to meet you at Wetfest.

Dave it is funny you posted that picture. I had just spent some time today catching up on this thread. Hadn't looked in this thread since before leaving for Wetfest. And there I am in the picture you post, too funny.
Reddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #997
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post

I recently rode my buddy's Triumph Tiger 800 XC. WOW...does that thing handle beautifully!!

(sorry for the hyjack)
The Tiger is sweet...check out our blog link on our signature...

Back to the ride...question...how long will you be gone that you know since this set back?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #998
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Back to the ride...question...how long will you be gone that you know since this set back?
Followed the 800XC thread. WS interested, but was concerned that it was a brand new model.....

The plan for my Adventure ride is 1-2 years.... Will just have to see how my trip develops. Planning RTW ride take lots of logistics and some of the information just cannot be all planned out

Thanks for following along.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #999
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Positive thoughts sent your way this evening Mark.

Smile brotha!
Love that photo . Thanks Dave ...... Have always found that even if these times are difficult for me to process, but that I come out of them stronger and moving forward.

This is a place that I spent many summers as a kid. The water and mountains are majestic and amazing.

Meeting up and connecting with other ADV riders has been great!

Radioman screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 09:08 AM
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #1000
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Hi Mark, Glade to see you are taking this setback in stride. Thirty-one years ago wife and I camped on Whidby. Cranberry lake if I remember correctly. Nine months later our daughter was born. We used to call her Baby Whidby. I still have a touchstone I found at the beach at Deception Pass. Great memories of the trip.
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #1001
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
Nine months later our daughter was born. We used to call her Baby Whidbey. I still have a touchstone I found at the beach at Deception Pass. Great memories of the trip.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #1002
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,522
Opus one, very nice indeed . That's heading out in style!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #1003
Radioman OP
Moto rider

October 17 and 18 Seattle

As I continue to wait

Spent the weekend relaxing, reading and reflecting. The waiting is hard as I am back "home" during this time, and really want to be back on the road. But as I have written before in the larger scope of things it is no big deal, and it could not have happened at a better time. So I balance the anxiousness to get on the road with the thankfulness that no one got hurt, and this is a minor setback.

Driving through Seattle which is where I grew up if full of good memories and had a great weather weekend. Including having Mount Rainier out!!

While passing through Seattle on my way back to Portland, I decided to stop at Touratech
"Kid in a candy store comes to mind" but trying to maintain finances means I am not going crazy.

After watching the "chitown" videos of the front end locking up with the front brake line catching the tire Decided to buy the Touratech raised Fender and brakeline kit, and the top of the world video about riding in India for my collection!

Getting ready to call Iron Horse BMW to check and make sure the new engine arrived, and it being installed
Hope that they have good news on this front. It is frustrating to be waiting and not have Concrete information on arrival of this "rush" shipment. But it appears that is just the way the industry works.

Hoping for really good news

Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #1004
rpage11
Skip

Oddometer: 475
Road Trip

Mark
I stopped by Iron Horse today and guess what I saw........................

and

Sitting right behind this was your bike on the rack being disassembled and prepped.

Better give Sam a call and pack your bags. The mechanic said it should be ready by Thursday. Hope you're having a good day and see you soon. Gotta run pick Cathy up at the airport, but I thought you might like to see this. Skip
rpage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #1005
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 610
Nice timing on the post

Now Radioman, be a little nicer to this one It's hard to adventure vicariously through you if you are not adventuring
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote