User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #1441
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,802
That was a great recovery.

At least you two aren't as lily white as you were at the start of the trip. Soon we won't be able to tell you are from the PNWet.

Keep those pictures coming. I like the fishes - they're critters of sorts.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #1442
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 289
? for Sam. How was the snorkling w/o your glasses? Reason I ask is I plan on taking my son to Hawaii for graduation next summer and wanted to go snorkling but not sure how it would work as w/o my glasses I'm pretty vision impaired. So don't know if I could see much under water with mask and no glasses. Maybe I could take off the side temple thingies and just use the front part with lens under a mask ???? Thanks, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #1443
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
? for Sam. How was the snorkling w/o your glasses? Reason I ask is I plan on taking my son to Hawaii for graduation next summer and wanted to go snorkling but not sure how it would work as w/o my glasses I'm pretty vision impaired. So don't know if I could see much under water with mask and no glasses. Maybe I could take off the side temple thingies and just use the front part with lens under a mask ???? Thanks, rj
OK, as for the snorkeling thing. I would not worry too much about the vision unless of course your really vision impaired, the reason I say this is because believe it or not water has a tendency to magnify naturally. I have seen divers with prescription goggles but they are expensive $$$ they need them for reading gauges and such down there.

Now as one who has lived in Hawaii, I will tell you right now it is VERY expensive, and summer months are the best for snorkeling; now that said, I think you way more bang for the buck here in the Yucatan. I am only saying this because I am here now so I have some juxtaposition.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #1444
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Keep living the dream dudes
Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #1445
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
OK, as for the snorkeling thing. I would not worry too much about the vision unless of course your really vision impaired, the reason I say this is because believe it or not water has a tendency to magnify naturally. I have seen divers with prescription goggles but they are expensive $$$ they need them for reading gauges and such down there.
A cheaper answer is contacts. Sure it would be more comfortable if you wore them all the time, but it is possible to deal with them for a day at a time when ever you need. If you get the new one time use disposables you just throw them away when your done with them. My buddy does this every couple weeks for dirt bike riding. Plus the new disposable ones are cheep. an exam might cost you $100.00, and I bet you can get a 30 day supply for 30 bucks. In fact when you get a glasses exam, they can give you a contact prescription as part of, but they will charge you an additional fee for "fitting exam"
Old 12-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #1446
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,036
December 2nd

We left Playa Del Carmen and rode down to Tulum to check it out. We had to say goodbye to Habean who was great to us during our stay at Phantom Paradise.

The beach at Tulum.

After checking many places on the beach at $70 USD Mindy told us about this place for 500 Pesos.

Had a private walkway to the beach. So I walked down while Sam rested. Hat the beach almost to myself.

They had your own Centone.

We decided to go to a Cenote to snorkel in the underground caves. Wow was that cool. We went to Dos Ojos.

lots of Stalagmites....

I know I post tons of photos.... But that is because it is good to share ......

Samuel and our dive guide, Jose. If you go be sure to ask for him. He was great. Good sense of humor.

Internet Problems.... Cannot post all the links right now. Maybe later.....

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 05:34 AM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #1447
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,244
It IS good to share, thanks Mark!!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #1448
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
wow!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #1449
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
Please don't ever apologize for posting too many pics! Loving this report. You guys are inspiring and entertaining. I check in almost every day.
Safe travels to you both.
paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #1450
WakeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Thanks for the pictures of Dos Ojos. There are many smaller cenotes around that area, unfortunately the last time I was down there last year I was unable to visit Dos Ojos. Continue to have a great time!

Also, I know you guys might not want to do the touristy thing, but there are two great natural waterparks in the area. Xel-ha and Xcaret, both are awesome theme parks that differ greatly from Wet-n-Wild Cancun.

-Alex
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #1451
Cheezer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey Radioman, Great report!!!

I am following behind you, I'm 50 miles north of Douglas and will be crossing in the next week or so, after I do some maintanance before I cross. Thanks, your border crossing will help me alot!
I was wonddering if you noticed if there is much camping areas as you went south, maybe the National Parks?
I plan on riding the west coast down and around over to the Yucatan area, never know I might catch up??

Keep having Fun and Safe Travels to you 2!!!!!!
Cheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #1452
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 289
Radio, what camera do you use for the snorkling pics and is it the same one you use for all the great above water pics? thanks, rj in walla walla
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #1453
1TrackSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Great pictures, my wife and I first went to Cancun when there were no high rise hotels, etc. Tulum has now gotten to be a respit, I noted the place where you stayed. Thanks so much, it was 27 and foggy for the Shriners Toy Ride thus AM.
Enjoy the warmth!
1TrackSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #1454
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
Make sure you stop by Oscar and Lalo's. It is on the west side of the road at the entrance to Soliman Bay just north of Tulum. Have been drooling for their salsa since I left. Look for the big huge palapas.
Sludge, Drove by but did not have time to stop ;(

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #1455
Radioman OP
Moto rider

December 2nd The rest of the day in Tulum.......

We got back from the amazing Cenote Snorkeling afternoon. Our hut is on the left.

We had met a British woman when we checked in. Her name is Sara and she was very friendly so we asked if she wanted to meet for a beer later. She was working at the place painting the insides of the cabanas with Maya artwork. Very cool.

Sara is engaged to Damaris and they will be getting married when they return to the UK soon. It was one of those evenings that we just had a great time. Not sure that I can capture how it all transpired..... or all the conversations.

Started off with a Bike ride down the main road .... in the dark....

We got to the first place and had a drink and Talked. Meet Sara and Damaris

Really lovely woman. Sara was very direct and to the point. Making it clear what she thought. We heard the story of how they met, and there lives together. Traveling has been good for them. Sara and Sam got along great. Both Woman had personal experience with Alzheimer's Disease, so that we a compassionate conversation. Damaris is Deaf, but reads lips very well, and speaks well too!

We skipped to another place for a bit, and Sam had been talking about getting a drink with an umbrella in it once we reached this area.... So we tried. Bartender did not have one.... So he improvised.

We then had dinner. Sara was helping Sam with Spanish vocabulary ..... and what was on his plate.

Then she was helping cook my dinner.

The music was rolling so......

Then we rode the bicycles back down the road. Fortunately I had my headlamp on...

After a great evening out on the town. Time for some sleep.

We really had a great evening with Sara and Damaris. to both of you. Thanks for the great time!!