User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #1456
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
December 3rd. Bacalar, MX

Last Day in Mexico for me. Have traveled 4,000 miles, 13 Mexican states, More Topes than I can could in the last 7 weeks. We will ride into Belize this morning for a couple days, then Sam will be turning north toward Idaho, and I will be crossing the border into Guatemala to see Takal.

Before we left Tulum, Sara needed to give my bike a go

Back out the main beach road.

More Topes. Will miss them

The Topes not only slow traffic down, but also are a place from vendors to sell to passing vehicles.

Looks like I am not done with Topes yet....

we rode to Bacalar which was just 130 miles south and only about 30 miles to the Belizean Border......

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #1457
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
Love the report and all the pictures!!

I hope that when you and Sam part ways, that your journey stays fun for you (and Sam on his return).

You have many, many people wishing you well...

Ride safe, and continue the joy

Thank you again for the simply amazing ride report that you are doing!
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #1458
busdriver803
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I look forward to every update and have enjoyed every word and photo. Hope someday to be able to follow part of your trail. Looking forward to your exploration and feelings about Belize, I hope to visit this area in the near future.
Wishing both you and Sam continuing safe and exciting journeys .
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #1459
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Laugh

Radioman
You will have a short rest from the topes in Belice and then come Guatemala they return as Tumulos and are generally higher!

remember to buy insurance at the Belize border they will ask for it at a police check point futher down the road I crossed at Chetumal on a Sunday and the insurance office was closed so I bought the cop lunch at the check point.

Cal screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 10:32 AM
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #1460
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofire409 View Post
Love the report and all the pictures!!

I hope that when you and Sam part ways, that your journey stays fun for you (and Sam on his return).

You have many, many people wishing you well...

Ride safe, and continue the joy

Thank you again for the simply amazing ride report that you are doing!

Well said!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #1461
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Mexico

Thoughts about our ride through Mexico.

As we have traveled the length of Mexico we have seen difference with the terrain, climate and the people. In the North or the “Frontier States” the concern for violence is more evident and the people a bit more reserved with us. We really noticed when we hit the State of Oaxaca that the towns were neater, the people friendlier and the Indigenous people more plentiful and interesting. Just our observations, but we had this discussion with two Australian brothers we met in San Cristobal. They had a very similar experience and view.

Infrastructure: It feels like we are back 40-60 years ago in the USA where out of the big cities the roads are dirt in the towns and villages. Not much plumbing.

Responsibility: again it feels like 30-40 years ago in the US, where people used to be responsible for themselves. If you ride in the back of an open Pick up and fall out, it’s Your issue, no one to sue. Same with riding with two-three- four people on a moped. We saw families together Dad, Mom small Child all riding no gear or helmets. We kept saying, not like this in the US. People are responsible for themselves. No money for safety gear, so you make due with what you have.

People: The people of Mexico have been wonderful. We had been warned so much about the dangers of the Cartels and Narco’s, so you are focused on this. But as you spend time, and you get to interact with the locals you begin to see it differently. The Mexicans have been friendly and helpful the whole trip. We kept to the off the road by 3PM, so we could relax and explore a bit.

Travelers: We have had time that we have not seen many other travelers, only met up with Lars and Harrietta for lunch (ADV couple riding to TDF). We have also met some other travelers from around the world in the Hostel we stayed in. It has been fun to share stories and experiences. Douglas from the UK was great to meet and talk with as we talked about the world, politics, religion etc.

Drivers: The truckers turn on their blinkers to let you know it is clear to pass. (of course we are cautious lest someone is coming the other way but so far they have been correct). The other drivers turn on flashers if they are driving slow, and they also move over to the right edge to let you pass. Some flash their headlight, some in greetings, others to tell us of an issue ahead on the road. Very interesting.

Roads. Lots of variables with Road conditions. You can have great road, then up comes a Tope (speedbump), potholes, really uneven pavement, gravel, Donkeys etc. Best to keep the speed down, and stay alert. We rode many great twisty roads through the mountains, awesome vista, and scenery. But not too many pull outs to get photos. We had many Military and Police checkpoints. Never had any issues, mostly just asked where we were going, couple times they asked for paperwork but mainly waved us through. At first they seem intimidating, but we got used to them, and they are just doing their jobs. We felt Safe the whole trip. Again we were cautious about not putting ourselves in anyplace that would be a problem.

Food: Mexican feed is nothing like the US Mexican food. That is obvious. In the north there was not too much variety. Although, we got hooked on stopping at roadside Pollo Asada stands. Yummy! As we got further south we had excellent Seafood, and other varieties. Other than me being really sick once, we have done fine with all the food even from roadside food stands. Yummy.

As a quick summary: We had a good trip of our 7 weeks in Mexico. More Spanish on our part would have helped when asking questions, directions or just trying to interact. The heat and humidity in the pacific coast was a bit hard on us PNW riders, we enjoyed the mountains and the Yucatan for climate ☺

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 04:37 PM
Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #1462
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul56 View Post
Please don't ever apologize for posting too many pics! Loving this report. You guys are inspiring and entertaining. I check in almost every day.
Safe travels to you both.
+1 The pictures help tell the story.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #1463
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Tikal Guatemala

We had a great evening last night at the Driftwood Pizza Shack, as one of the owners broke out his guitar and sang Irish songs, before a Local guy arrived to sing Reggae. It was great!

Left Hopkins, Belize this morning. Sam will be staying over to enjoy the beach, and socializing at the driftwood Pizza Shack. Road the 170 miles to Tikal Area in Guatemala. Settled into a hotel, set up an english tour of the ruins for the am.

Sam and I talked a great deal about the highlights and challenges of riding in Mexico together for the last 7 weeks. We had a great journey together, and will take us both a little time to adjust to being on the road alone. No one to share the "did you see that" moments in the evenings. New steps for both of us!!

I have internet but not enough to Upload photos or my report.... Will have to wait a couple days....

Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #1464
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
I can't wait a couple of days. Get crackin'!

Put up as many pics as you can. You'll appreciate it when you look over your own RR in the future. The RR is for you; we're just invited guests
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #1465
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Radioman, here is wishing you and Sam safe travels on the balance of your journey alone.
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #1466
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
After seven weeks, any changes you would suggest for setting up your bike or items you might have overlooked?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #1467
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cyclepath" View Post
After seven weeks, any changes you would suggest for setting up your bike or items you might have overlooked?
Always a good question. My 800GS is a good choice for me. Traveling down here I would say smaller is better

As I planned to be gone round the world, I have extra tools, extra Tire (Sam heard it enough....wish I had not carried it, until I switch it out and will be glad I have the tire) running K60 Heindenau that has worn very well. I have over 7,000 miles and still have at least 1,000 to go!!) This is the same tire that I bought in Labrador Canada that I had on my 1150GS. Road 1,800 + miles then put it on my 800 for the rest of the miles. Have been impressed!!

The rest of the gear I have will be needed along the way. I did not bring camping gear other than a sleeping back with liners I have not needed it yet. But South America that might change.

Other than that I really did travel light for a guy who has 3 camera's and audio recorder, computer, Ipad etc. Could have eliminated one of these, but like to read while on the road.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #1468
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
I can't wait a couple of days. Get crackin'!
Patience Grasshopper..... Internet at the La Casa Don David cannot upload photos. I am here for two nights..... 5:30 I head out to the ruins

Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #1469
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 288
Radioman Rides the World.......

HI Radioman, I rode with Sam this last Labor day on the IAMC Cascade lake ride, Sam is a top notch person that I was happy to ride with,. I have read your story from page one and before, I hope with all my hart that YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ! and that the world that you find over the next few moments, is a place of love and peace!
All we have are memories of the things we do and people we love! have fun, be safe, hope one day our paths cross.
will be watching and praying. GOD BLESS DutchJohn
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #1470
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,195
Hi Mark,

Wonderful trip so far. Keep enjoying!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote