Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #76
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,222
Sounds like allot of memories alive again!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #77
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
This was a very cool bike from the same era, I eventually sold it to a friend of mine who rode it so hard and fast that the crankshaft fell apart!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #78
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Today was a great day! My brother (DoctorDR on RDS) took his mighty GPZ985 Warrior to the streets, for the first time since parking it 18 years ago!
We took it around the neighborhood for a shake down run, and man, the motor totally rocks! The blue-printed engine, balanced crankshaft and pistons really shine! This is a very addictive bike!
We discovered the clutch slave cylinder is leaking, so no big ride until we fix that, but everything else is solid!

Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #79
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Excellent!

Man, I miss the '80s. I find myself riding my older dirt bikes more and more lately. The last few times out I've ridden the XR500. It's so familiar and takes me back to a very fun time in my life.

Your Ninja looks freaking sweet!

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #80
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,906
Notice your not running the cush drive in the rear hub,thats gonna be hard on a not so strong stock clutch hub.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #81
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

Thanks Brucifer, once we get that front fairing painted to match the rest of the bike, we are golden!
Baloney, you are right, but fortunately they built the motor from a drag racing perspective and installed a strong aftermarket billet clutch basket and plates, plus under-cut the tranny gears. I wonder if the billet clutch basket include a new clutch hub too?
However, I think I would rather have the cush-drive back for smoother shifting and less stress on the drive train. I wonder if a cush drive is available for those old PM wheels?
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #82
zxjammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Here's my old one. Piss poor pic but the bike looks good.
Attached Images

zxjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #83
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
picked up another set of pm chicanes on thursday.1034 miles and 18 hours later, got them home. attached to a roller that came with this

love the early/mid 80's beasts. this one is a 1229-11:1 compression ratio, v&h cams and exhaust, stage two head, 38mm flat slides, back cut trans with billet clutch hub, air/elec shifter, and a few other goodies. what compelled me to take that trip was i bought it from the original owner. complete with both oem keys, owners manual, tool kit and 1985 title. gorgeous original bodywork and paint. 156 rwhp last time it was dyno'ed. the po just quit riding it and has been sitting idle in the garage for the past three years or so. went to see it when i was at ama vintage days but had no way to get them both and all the spare parts (including three complete exhaust systems) home, hence my little road trip. the pm's will end up on the 1229.
worked at a kawasaki/suzuki dealership in ft lauderdale when the 900 ninja was introduced. that bike was the shit then. yours is splendid.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #84
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

ZXJammer, looks like your Ninja can gobble up the miles a lightspeed!

Axis, thanks for your compliments on our GPZ 900, I've been going over the bike, and found the clutch cover bolts have loosened, so I snugged them up.

Wow what an amazing bike you picked up! Getting one from the original owner who went through all the effort to build, ride and care for the bike is the best way to find them. I have sold a few bikes that I was really attached to - and they went to friends or family. I am sure the PO feels good that you appreciate and respect everything about the bike and will take excellent care of it. It sure has a power-house of a motor in it! Looks like Performance Machine anodized the wheels, that's pretty trick! Its getting hard to find 80's sport bikes that have good paint like yours. So many ended up with a bad case of road rash.
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #85
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

I changed the motor and transmission oil, cleaned the plugs, checked the primary chain, put gas in it and it started my brother's 48 chief on the first kick. He has loaned it to me to ride to a vintage bike event and our Thrills in The Hills Buell gathering.

Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #86
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

I rarely buy new motorcycles, and am a big Buell fan, so I was concerned that the 1000 Ninja would not have enough personality to keep me interested in it. A bike has to excite me when I am riding it, or while I am sipping a beer and just looking at it when its parked. The Ninja does both! The motor feels a lot like the Buell 1125 CR, tons of torque from idle to the sky! My Buell TT is super exciting to ride and a very visceral experience, if not a bit quirky. The Ninja is super capable (like the TT) on rough narrow county roads. It was not phased one bit by cattle guards, pot holes and rough roads, and it flicked through the turns super easy.
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #87
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

We did 300 miles on the Ninja's today, so I hit the 1000 break-in and briefly hit red-line. My brother's old Ninja that has been tuned to 124 rear wheel horsepower, showed its stuff! I could not shake the old bike in a pseudo-drag race.
The old one holds up rather well, the styling, motor and handling - still excites me.
The 2011 Ninja was sublime. It effortlessly gobbled up the turns and felt totally connected to me.

Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #88
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,694
That is a very cool old bike... Congrats on getting it back on the road!

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #89
RideDualSport.com OP
TPB all the way

We finally celebrated the arrival of some cooler October temperatures by beating it to Del Rio, Tx from Austin on our Dueling Ninjas!
This 700 mile overnight trip was a big test of DoctorDR's 1984 Ninja superbike that was recently resurrected from 18 years of storage, and the first big road trip for my 2011 Ninja.
Here is our route to Del Rio, we spotted tons of cool bikes, like Moto Guzzis, Triumphs and Adventure bikes making their way to the Harvest Classic.

The weather was perfect for the 900 Ninja, it tends to run hot so it loved the cooler weather as we passed through the Camp Wood area.

The lunch in Rocksprings was good and cheap! The basic no-frills burger is $2.25, this one cost .50 more!
On our return through Rocksprings the burger joint was closed. So, we tried one the "biker friendly" BBQ shacks and they refused to sell us a brisket sandwich only, you had to get a drink and side, $10 - or no deal. Talk about brotherhood.

This furry critter tried to take a bite out of my arm as I was riding. At first I though I hit a bird, but went I stopped an got off my bike he fell off my lap.
He's got a cute face.

Man this old bike has a hell of a motor, It kicks in hard at 7500 RPM and pull strong up to 10,500. The big bore kit, ported heads and smooth bore carbs really get the adrenalin flowing, and its addictive!

We took a break to check out the Stuart Bat Cave at Kickapoo Caverns, not much bat action in the heat of the day, but interesting none the less!

The next mornings ride was awesome! The section from Del Rio to just below Sonora was beautiful. Excellent 30 mph sweepers and rolling hills.

We were stunned to see such a beautiful river in Texas! We pulled over, removed our helmets and took it all in. We could hear a lot of wildlife in the trees lining the river.

The latest Ninja, next to its genesis. Let me tell you the apple did not roll far from the tree.
Either bike is capable of insane speeds - one in a deliciously raw way, the other in a civilized way.

Ninja's coming and going!
Alaska Deep Adventure
Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #90
CFBROWN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
great to see one more back on the road. here is my 900 of ten years. i wanted to keep it stock looking but with a few updates.
">
CFBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote